Loud Ticking post service

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had the bike serviced this week. 2007 R1200 GS. 98,000 miles. It had a full service which included new spark plugs top and bottom. Valves etc adjusted. Bike runs well.

Thing is, since I got it back, the left cylinder head has got a god awful ticking sound coming from it. I'm used to it having all manner of noises but this is certainly louder and more pronounced than I remember it.

I've dropped the mechanic an email but thought I'd ask advice here too? Thanks.

Change the upper coil on the left for the one on the right

Does the ticking move

I have seen Coils split and spark making a crack sound onto the cylinder head

Which would tie in with the "Just serviced" other than that it is verify there is oil in the motor :rob and then it is down to pop the rocker covers and check the clearances

Thanks doc. I’ll try that later.

EDIT. Swapped the coils. Both look in good condition. I'm at work, so I only did a lap around the block, so I'm not certain if the ticking is less. It's still on the left side but has not moved to the right. I'm wondering if perhaps the coil was not pressed fully in. Either way, I'll know when I go home later.

Hot weather & thinner oil than you normally use?

You did tell them it's a tractor & needs W50/50 ;)

Hot weather & thinner oil than you normally use?

You did tell them it's a tractor & needs W50/50 ;)

50w/50 :p

I had 20w / 50 in it and he put 15w /50 in it despite me telling him I wanted 20w/50. Feck'n independant thinkers. That is a lot lighter right?

50w/50 :p

I had 20w / 50 in it and he put 15w /50 in it despite me telling him I wanted 20w/50. Feck'n independant thinkers. That is a lot lighter right?

A little thinner when it is cold, so will get around the engine slightly slower from start. Same protection when hot.

A little thinner when it is cold, so will get around the engine slightly slower from start. Same protection when hot.

20/50 is a bit quieter though? Anyway, fingers crossed the ticking is reduced in the way home.

Bike is being a bit of a cranky old girl at the moment. Dr F helped me troubleshoot a dead starter relay earlier. New one bought.
46e5f7400702cc9c859f97a1c350770e.jpg

Well, that was interesting ride home from work. Not ticking/arcing. I suspect one of the coils was not fully seated. That could allow arcing right?

Anyway, seems fixed!

Yes a not fully seated coil would allow need a bigger spark to jump the extra distance and be a bit louder too

So I am 2 for 2 today Owen ???

Back
Top Bottom