A wee spin to the 6 counties and the Free State.

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
An unexpected few days off has given me the chance to pop across the water at relatively short notice.
My dad was from Pettigo, his ashes are scattered nearby and, ridiculous as it sounds, I like to come over and have a 'wee chat'with him from time to time.
Now seemed like a good opportunity to tie that in with the next stage of the WAW so this morning I made myself a pack up and set off to Holyhead.

Attachments

• 20220729_065038.jpg
    20220729_065038.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 445
The ride from Lincoln to Manchester was okay but from there to Anglesey was hideous, bumper to bumper traffic, stop start for hours and it looked no better going the other way. Has it always been this bad or are things getting worse?
But I made it safely to the port with time to spare and was ushered onto the boat (ship?) 1st, which is always nice.

Attachments

• 20220729_133951.jpg
    20220729_133951.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 432
I'd booked a 2 course meal as part of the crossing with Stena as I knew I wouldn't be arriving at my digs until relatively late. I think calling it '2 courses' might be pushing it (though I could have had a starter of soup rather than the 'pudding' I opted for) but it was pretty good tbh, hot and tasty.

Attachments

• 20220729_135344.jpg
    20220729_135344.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 437
The restaurant was open and ready for service as soon as we boarded so I'd already eaten and had time for a wander before we set off.

Attachments

• 20220729_144627.jpg
    20220729_144627.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 433
  • 20220729_144811.jpg
    20220729_144811.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 437
I was the 1st one off the ship (boat?) at 1800 hrs just in time for Dublin's Friday rush hour.
I'd set the sat. nav. to avoid toll roads as I prefer to bimble along the country roads so meandered past Lansdowne Road, Dalymount Park* and HQ before (for some reason)
finding myself on the M3 toll motorway - quite why I was routed this way I have no idea but it cost me 80 cents I hadn't factored in to the holiday costs. :mad:

* I've never been to Dalymount Park so shall try to take that on on my way home, despite being more of a Rovers fan (very loosely).

3 hours and 2 petrol stops* later and I arrived at the hotel.
I'm trying to do the trip relatively cheaply and was slightly worried about what I'd booked for tonight as it's only £65 including breakfast and although the reviews are all great the photos on it's website were limited in the extreme, surely not a good sign
I was very, very pleasantly surprised. The owner greeted me like a long lost friend and insisted on making me a brew and fetching me some biscuits whilst I settled in to the (excellent) room.
This will definitely be my go to place whenever I come to this area.

Attachments

• 20220729_205735.jpg
    20220729_205735.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 20220729_205753.jpg
    20220729_205753.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 20220729_205941.jpg
    20220729_205941.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 434
Cead mile failte Tommy. Enjoy the trip.

You know it’s a bank holiday weekend here, hence busier than normal road traffic including A55.

Which hotel is that?

3 hours and 2 petrol stops* later and I arrived at the hotel.
I'm trying to do the trip relatively cheaply and was slightly worried about what I'd booked for tonight as it's only £65 including breakfast and although the reviews are all great the photos on it's website were limited in the extreme, surely not a good sign
I was very, very pleasantly surprised. The owner greeted me like a long lost friend and insisted on making me a brew and fetching me some biscuits whilst I settled in to the (excellent) room.
This will definitely be my go to place whenever I come to this area.

Best give us a name please

Like TT, I am in

I'm in....have a great trip, Bill. Look forward to hearing all about it when I see you next! :beerjug:

I'm in....have a great trip, Bill. Look forward to hearing all about it when I see you next! :beerjug:

Thanks Comrades. It's no Greek odyssey and pales into insignificance compared with your fabulous trip and write up though.

I didn't realise it was a B/H though that would explain the miserable weather this morning. :rolleyes: It might also explain why the ferry was so rammed yesterday, people were struggling to find a seat. Top tip: pay £10 for a seat in the quiet lounge, it was worth every penny of it.

This is the hotel. Don't be put off by the pictures, it's a great place and cracking value.

http://www.melvincountryhouse.com/

I just can't shed those extra pounds.

Attachments

• 20220730_091719.jpg
    20220730_091719.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 390
Ah yes, Fermanagh. That’ll be an Ulster Fry, denoted by the soda cake thing under the egg. You won’t get that as you come further south.

Good looking breakfast - much better than the ham and cheese from mainland Europe!

The ride from Lincoln to Manchester was okay but from there to Anglesey was hideous, bumper to bumper traffic, stop start for hours and it looked no better going the other way. Has it always been this bad or are things getting worse?

If you did the M56 and A55, yes and yes...it's always been bad and it is getting worse...it's horrendous on any holiday weekend and any sunny Sunday.
Avoid that route at all costs and come inland a tad to miss the brain dead lemmings in a day long daisy chain.

Hey hey. How's things?

Don't ask.... Well since you have, one word....shite. Dropped my mobile in a bucket of cement last week. Phone still worked afterwards except for one minor thing....no sound! Bought a new one and dropped it on the first day cracking the screen as Curry's where I got it from didn't have any cases. New screen costs same as the new phone.....then I lost a remote fob and key for the wife's Mini and yesterday the sunroof glass on my Freelander , without any human input, just exploded into a million pieces......Other than that, everything's hunky fekkin dory even though my wife thinks I'm a fukkwit. Looking forward to your little trip. We were considering something like this in September but Germany pulled more. That breakfast looks "well fit" :okay

If you did the M56 and A55, yes and yes...it's always been bad and it is getting worse...it's horrendous on any holiday weekend and any sunny Sunday.
Avoid that route at all costs and come inland a tad to miss the brain dead lemmings in a day long daisy chain.

I always go via A75 and spin over the Galloway forest , much better way to Ireland
Going to Lenane at end of August-£88 return

I always go via A75 and spin over the Galloway forest , much better way to Ireland
Going to Lenane at end of August-£88 return

That's my preferred route but Stena had no availability and I won't go with P&O anymore.

Back
Top Bottom