Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A wee spin to the 6 counties and the Free State.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tuftywhite View Post
    I went to the cinema at the campsite in Cong. They show the Quiet Man every night.

Good work Bill. Enjoying following you on this trip.
    Thanks Tufty. Sadly I arrived in Cong too late otherwise I would have tried to do the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barak666 View Post
    Loving this, Bill...so envious of the weather you've encountered - not like the weeks of baking hot sun we had to endure!
    Ha! Thanks. Yes it was a bit warm on yours wasn't it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by landmarkjohn View Post
    And if you want to follow in John Wayne's footsteps you should buy the cap in Geraghty's menswear in Tuam (it's in east Galway so you won't be coming close).
    Thanks for the suggestions Comrades but hard don't suit me. Mind you nor does owt else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Your best just isn’t good enough for all those photos leaning on their side!

It’s just sloppy… download Snapseed or similar and get them the right way up.
    Feedback is a gift. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Tuesday.
    The relentless rain had given way to showers and drizzle so I decided to take Jockser's advice and head back the way I'd come. It was frustrating to do but as I'd seen little in this area to bring me back I thought the pragmatic thing to do would be spend 2 hours travelling to Achill Island and back to Westport rather than carrying on south and having to come back another day as I knew I wouldn't rest until I'd given it a proper chance.
    The ride back took me through Newport where I saw this statue to a very brave man:-
    https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns...ard-lyons.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    There's a lovely loop just south of Achill Island that gives you some great views and a little bit of local history and legend.

Blog Entries
    I finally got to Achill Island. At last. I've been looking forward to this for decades, literally. And (with apologies to anyone associated with the area) what a disappointment it was. Maybe I'd built it up too much in my own mind and maybe the weather didn't help but I was seriously underwhelmed.

Blog Entries
    This old sign reminded me of holidays in The Free State years ago. They seem to be few and far between now.

Blog Entries
    More pics of the island......
    I'm pleased I went back but it's more of a case of 'Tick, done that, move on' then the nirvana I'd built it up to

Good trip report Bill, really enjoyed it. I'm sure Achill island would probably have lived up to your expectations if the sun was shining.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMVern View Post
    Good trip report Bill, really enjoyed it. I'm sure Achill island would probably have lived up to your expectations if the sun was shining.
    Thanks Paul. You're probably right about Achill Island, everything seems better in the sunshine.

Blog Entries
    That itch scratched it was time to retrace my steps back to Westport and past Boffin Lodge, last night's 'hotel (loosely speaking) - not a place I'd recommend.
    I rode down the coast to Croagh Patrick, Ireland's holy mountain and the National Famine Memorial immeadiately opposite.
    Croagh Patrick has always held a certain magic in my imagination having heard the stories of pilgrimage and people climbing it barefoot and it didn't disappoint. It was much steeper than I'd realised and I decided that I will come back another day and confess my sins at the top (which could make it a long day).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croagh_Patrick

Blog Entries
    Immediately opposite is the National Famine Memorial (one of many Famine memorials in Ireland) so I crossed the road to have a look and pay my respects to those who needlessly lost their lives. These were very dark days in this country's history and the sculpture does an excellent job of respecting those who died.
    https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns...-memorial.html

Blog Entries
    At this point I was a day behind schedule and my accommodation having been pre-booked my plans were somewhat awry. The day was moving on and my next hotel was in Cong so I decided after a quick look at the coast it was time to head inland along the R335 through Doolough Valley. What a treat this was, the road is fantastic and the scenery spectacular, I'm sure many of you will be familiar with it from your time in Leenane.
    They say God moves in mysterious ways and had I not had the poor weather yesterday I would never have known about this fabulous road and area. Everything happens for a reason.

Blog Entries
    Once again Ireland's pain was in evidence.

Blog Entries
    And so to Cong. What a terrific little town this is. Made famous by it's association with a film called The Quiet Man (never seen it) but you wouldn't know this as you walk round. After the disappointment of yesterday and this morning this afternoon's visit to Croagh Patrick, the ride inland and Cong have more than made up for things, despite the miserable weather. I shall come back here to investigate the area further and scamper up the hill.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast