Himalayan and Scram Review LDG

I don’t watch many bike centric videos. Leaving that aside, I thought this was a very good review.

I am looking for a bike to tow behind my motorhome (my 1600 is a touch overblown) and the Enfield might just do it, not least after I read Micky’s positive comments. As the fellow at the dealership said, “A new bike for the price of a secondhand bike”.

To me it’s the 2022 version of the old and very good Honda CB 500, another ‘slow’ bike that can be ridden fast….. and indeed way better than riding a fast bike slowly.

Thanks for sharing the video.

I don’t watch many bike centric videos. Leaving that aside, I thought this was a very good review.

I am looking for a bike to tow behind my motorhome (my 1600 is a touch overblown) and the Enfield might just do it, not least after I read Micky’s positive comments. As the fellow at the dealership said, “A new bike for the price of a secondhand bike”.

To me it’s the 2022 version of the old and very good Honda CB 500, another ‘slow’ bike that can be ridden fast….. and indeed way better than riding a fast bike slowly.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Thanks for the comments

Yes they really surprised us, really enjoyable charming little bikes with great build quality, as we said in the video they take you back to the roots of why you (we) like riding bikes.

Cheers Mike

An honest and realistic review. Thanks for posting :thumb

I bought my 2018 Himalayan (Euro 4) with 650 miles on it without even riding it. I liked what I saw, and it had a few extras on that I would have added anyway.

I doubled the mileage this last weekend with two nights away in the Scottish Borders. The 'bike felt right from the very start, handles like a dream. It's not 'underpowered' as some critics have said, it's just a simple back to basics low powered motorcycle. There are more farkles available for it than for BMW GS's :D

Hitchcocks Motorcycles

i-z6CHCwr-L.jpg

i-XzZdMmV-L.jpg

i-qzR3FnX-L.jpg

i-sNMDLX3-L.jpg

Very economical too :thumb

:beerjug:

That was an enjoyable review to watch. Other than some wind noise at the dealership your audio and video came out wonderful. It's nice that you focus on what these bikes are made for and good at, but do mention what can be their slight hortcoming, that is being a little underpowered at speed. I enjoy riding basic, 20ish hp motorcycles and like you my first motorcycle was a Honda XL250 that I bought new in 1972, my current version is a 2020 XL250 Yamaha. I do believe the sweet spot for these little bikes to be around 30hp though so I'd love a Himmy 500 with a slightly taller 5th gear.

That was an enjoyable review to watch. Other than some wind noise at the dealership your audio and video came out wonderful. It's nice that you focus on what these bikes are made for and good at, but do mention what can be their slight hortcoming, that is being a little underpowered at speed. I enjoy riding basic, 20ish hp motorcycles and like you my first motorcycle was a Honda XL250 that I bought new in 1972, my current version is a 2020 XL250 Yamaha. I do believe the sweet spot for these little bikes to be around 30hp though so I'd love a Himmy 500 with a slightly taller 5th gear.

Thanks I really try with the audio (hardest part of video) could have kicked my arse when I heard the recording

That was an enjoyable review to watch. Other than some wind noise at the dealership your audio and video came out wonderful. It's nice that you focus on what these bikes are made for and good at .....

..... but do mention what can be their slight hortcoming, that is being a little underpowered at speed. I enjoy riding basic, 20ish hp motorcycles and like you my first motorcycle was a Honda XL250 that I bought new in 1972, my current version is a 2020 XL250 Yamaha. I do believe the sweet spot for these little bikes to be around 30hp though so I'd love a Himmy 500 with a slightly taller 5th gear.

I get where you're coming from totally, but disagree. An exhaust and a cam, and a couple of other mods could give you your 30+hp quite easily, but as the guys at the table discuss, the bike as is has a charm all of its own.

They describe the potential market for the Himmy and that is me to a Tee :rob

I started out with a long stroke single 350 back in 1963 ....

i-J7Q3sKS-L.jpg

... and the long stroke single 411cc of the Himmy is just fine just as it is :thumb2

i-4hJRKm4-L.jpg

I get where you're coming from totally, but disagree. An exhaust and a cam, and a couple of other mods could give you your 30+hp quite easily, but as the guys at the table discuss, the bike as is has a charm all of its own.

They describe the potential market for the Himmy and that is me to a Tee :rob

I started out with a long stroke single 350 back in 1963 ....

i-J7Q3sKS-L.jpg

... and the long stroke single 411cc of the Himmy is just fine just as it is :thumb2

i-4hJRKm4-L.jpg

That's a great picture Micky, both of them

I think Micky and the chaps in the video are right. It’s as much a state of mind as anything else. Once you get your head around that it’s a 400 cc, 200 kg, 25 horse power, 32 Nm torque at 4,250 rpm, single cylinder bike and not (in my case) a 1600 cc, 340 kg, 160 bhp, 180 Nm at 5,250 rpm, six cylinder BMW 1600 GT, it gets much easier.

Don’t get me wrong, the 1600 is a fantastic, very high quality motorcycle at somewhere around five to six times the price. It’s my fourth since the model first launched, on which I have ridden thousands of miles on all sorts of roads, so I must like the things. A Royal Enfield will be very different but will, I think, have a charm of its own. Not least, I like the need to recognise the limitations of the bike, rather than relying on brute power alone to blast you everywhere.

Earlier this summer I was lucky enough to make a half lap of France in a car, using all the sort of D roads that would be great on a motorcycle or a bicycle. Two and a half thousand miles of near enough empty roads, all through fantastic and ever changing scenery. It would have been great on the 1600 (I have ridden the same roads before, several times) but there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn’t be just as great on a bike like those in the video and that Micky owns, clearly enjoying it.

Lots of people on this forum talk about how great it would be to go back to basics and simple motorbikes. Very few actually do it. The Royal Enfield seems to me a perfect compromise; a well made, reasonably lightweight, reasonably comfortable, seemingly reliable (but actually quite modern) motorcycle. In short, an easy way to go back to basics, where many of us started….. and Micky earlier than most!

I see that there are a couple of dealerships in London, one to the west of me in Shepherds Bush and the other to the east in Newbury Park, roughly equidistant from home and both easy to get to on public transport. I’m going to ask them for an extended day long test ride, out into the little roads of Essex and Hertfordshire. If the video and Micky are both right, then I should have a good time. I still hope to one day to ride the German ‘motorcycle route’ all across that very large country. As Micky is (quite understandably) still hanging on to his son’s MZ, a bike like the Royal Enfield (which to be honest I hadn’t thought about) really might be the next best thing. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/544230-The-German-Motorcycle-route-GPX-files

PS Is that an Otter box on the back of Micky’s bike? I remember a time when they were the ‘Must have’ item on this forum.

The Interceptor is the same Micky, I have fitted free flow air filter and Scorpion cans which probably increase its HP a little from the 47hp stock.

Some guys are fitting 865cc big bore kits, but I dont see the point of this.....the bike is perfect as it is, sure its capable of 100mph stock but I ride mine mostly between 55 and 65 on A roads, its never seen a motorway and I avoid dual carriageways. Its got more than enough grunt for quick overtakes or manoeuvres.

Many people do tour on these over surprising long distances, but I bought mine for the back roads and coastal or country lanes etc, it is so enjoyable to ride. I have my RT for the other stuff ...... I could see myself buying a himmy or Scram in the future

Since buying mine last September, my first ever new bike, I've managed 8,000 fun miles, including a 2,300 mile bimble through France and the Alps in June and 1,700 miles bumbling through the Ardenne, Eifel and Sauerland. It's happiest between 50-60, will travel at 70/75 but it's not a pleasant experience, neither is riding with friends on bigger bikes, I can match their average speed, but not the acceleration, much prefer my own pace. It's a joy to ride and has put the fun and smiles back into my motorcycling.

That's a proper well thought out rear rack. Super practical for slinging a bag across.:thumb2

Attachments

• i-qzR3FnX-L.jpg
    i-qzR3FnX-L.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 337
Orinoco’s post reconfirms two things for me. One, it is a state of mind. Two, it’s just right for the German Motorcycle Route tour, that I have in mind.

Good to see A& D featured. Whilst I haven’t bought from them “yet” they always come across as a nice team.

Good to see A& D featured. Whilst I haven’t bought from them “yet” they always come across as a nice team.

A & D have been really helpful to us (and us to them) real family run business a few of us have Guzzis and get them serviced there, they are a proper old style dealer
they also have a Cafe on site run by a family member so its always packed and its in the middle of some great roads, I much prefer it to the Ponderosa as a meeting place.

I am working on them to do a video on the V100 Mandello when they finally get one (fingers crossed)

I see that there are a couple of dealerships in London, one to the west of me in Shepherds Bush and the other to the east in Newbury Park, roughly equidistant from home and both easy to get to on public transport. I’m going to ask them for an extended day long test ride, out into the little roads of Essex and Hertfordshire. If the video and Micky are both right, then I should have a good time.
I'd be quite interested to see how you get on with it. You're a similar size to me so I'd like to know the ergonomics.
Which one will you try?

That's a proper well thought out rear rack. Super practical for slinging a bag across.:thumb2

That's a replacement pillion seat Stu, the small Peli case sits on the rack :D

But yes, I travel alone and it's ideal for slinging the roll bag across :thumb

..... or a stable table for camping maybe :)

i-CjNVgWk-L.jpg

Orinoco’s post reconfirms two things for me. One, it is a state of mind. Two, it’s just right for the German Motorcycle Route tour, that I have in mind.

:thumb

Richard I think Micky runs a Peli case on the back of his bike.

Yes, just a small Peli case. The bike came with a 40 litre rear box :blast
That came straight off!

A guy in the hotel that knew everything about everything, but didn't ride a motorcycle, said the case was "Neither use nor feckin' ornament" Well it was Longtown :D

Well I know you will fill all available space. That Peli case will hold an aerosol puncture (tubed) repair and inflation, a small can of chain spray, and a small basic first aid kit. Sorted then eh :thumb2

Talking to Paul at Manhattan Motorcycles, Sheffield, Royal Enfield main dealer. The premises were Jack Woods, MZ Agent and Paul worked for him. Now owned by Paul. When Jack Woods finished with MZ's I bought two large boxes of MZ spares .... I have them in the cellar now. I've known Paul now for over thirty-five years :rob

Talking to him about a larger capacity Himalayan, or camshaft, air box for mine, big bore kits or carb conversion he just said ... "Maybe an exhaust Micky but other than that just ride it. It's a sweet little motor, you'll just spoil it"

My exhaust looks like its been cleaned by a brillo pad :D

If MZ's were still being made in the DDR they would now be like the Himalayan. They really are well made :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom