Questions, Questions (Sorry)

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have followed the instructions from the MRA help pages regarding exporting routes to my Nav 5. Once they have exported, I have looked in the 'Tracks' app and converted them from tracks to trips. When I go into Trip Planner they have duplicated, with one copy prefixed by the word 'Track'. Which one do I use to navigate with or doesn't it matter? I think they have duplicated because once I've disconnected the lead after export, I get a message asking me to 'Import new routes into trip planner' which I did (And maybe should not have).

Part of the above involves turning off 'recalculate route' in settings, Which I did. Once the route is exported to the nav, is it OK to turn this setting back on without affecting the use of the route?

Thanking you all in anticipation of assistance.

I have followed the instructions from the MRA help pages regarding exporting routes to my Nav 5. Once they have exported, I have looked in the 'Tracks' app and converted them from tracks to trips. When I go into Trip Planner they have duplicated, with one copy prefixed by the word 'Track'. Which one do I use to navigate with or doesn't it matter? I think they have duplicated because once I've disconnected the lead after export, I get a message asking me to 'Import new routes into trip planner' which I did (And maybe should not have).

Part of the above involves turning off 'recalculate route' in settings, Which I did. Once the route is exported to the nav, is it OK to turn this setting back on without affecting the use of the route?

Thanking you all in anticipation of assistance.

Have a look at the MRA webinars on utube.

Depending on which version of export (save as) you used, MRA exports a route AND a track.

You can ask your Nav V to convert the track into a route and then navigate with that. Indeed, MRA quite often recommends this method. You will though lose a notification of any important intermediate waypoints (points you must stop at) in the process. That might not matter as the route (when converted from the track) will still take you to / through them.

https://support.myrouteapp.com/supp...-general-information-about-export-and-save-as

Depending on which version of export (save as) you used, MRA exports a route AND a track.

You can ask your Nav V to convert the track into a route and then navigate with that. Indeed, MRA quite often recommends this method. You will though lose a notification of any important intermediate waypoints (points you must stop at) in the process. That might not matter as the route (when converted from the track) will still take you to / through them.

https://support.myrouteapp.com/supp...-general-information-about-export-and-save-as

Hi Richard,

I downloaded them in GPX 1.1 so I got both a route and a track. I may be overthinking the issue and will play with the files when I'm in Spain to see if both can be used: I suspect they can. I'll also turn the 'recalculate route' back on and see what happens. I've always got the MRA Nav app on the phone if it goes awry. I just prefer using the Nav 5 in Spain as my phone screen isn't great for visibility in the sun and it's much clearer on the old steam driven Garmin/BMW.

Cheers.

do not turn recalculate back on,it may depending on way points or via points ignore the route you originally planned,all imo obviously

do not turn recalculate back on,it may depending on way points or via points ignore the route you originally planned,all imo obviously

Indeed, Recalc is your friend and your enemy. Depending on what kind of journey you’re on.

I learned the hard way that a carefully planned Route was torn up when Recalc kicked in after a diversion.

Locking out Recalc does require a bit more effort to get back on track after unplanned detours. Like reading an old paper map.

I’m considering carrying 2 copies of important Routes in future so that I can fall back on the Master Copy if needed.

Indeed, Recalc is your friend and your enemy. Depending on what kind of journey you’re on.

I learned the hard way that a carefully planned Route was torn up when Recalc kicked in after a diversion.

Locking out Recalc does require a bit more effort to get back on track after unplanned detours. Like reading an old paper map.

I’m considering carrying 2 copies of important Routes in future so that I can fall back on the Master Copy if needed.

the beauty of the nav 5 and whizz wheel is to zoom out and easily return to the original route

Recalculation is indeed (or can be) a double edged sword. You need to experience for yourself what it might do.

That being said, if you have a sufficient number of shaping points (that pin a route to a road and roads) there is a limit to the amount of recalculation a device can make. After all, there may only be one road from A to B to C to D and so on.

The good news is that you will always have your original route (and in your case, track too) available. If something goes wrong, just summon one or other of them up again.

With the Nav V, I find it useful to have the total mileage of the trip displayed and / or the travel time. If there is a recalculation (I set my device to prompted, ie I chose whether to recalculate, not the device) and one or both of the pieces of data alters fundamentally, then I know something probably went wrong. Most things I can mend on the fly. It’s not good (nor particularly safe) to do it on the move - rather like using a non-hands free mobile when driving - but as I am on a motorcycle it doesn’t count.

Back
Top Bottom