Keeping It Shiny

abermarc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This applies to all bikes so this is probably not the right sub but best I can find.

Decent paint polish and chrome polish recommendations wanted.

I'm thinking some Autoglym and Silvo cloth should cover everything but am open to suggestions.

Bike is a GSA Triple Black if that matters

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Wash with sdoc100.
Dry, then polish with autoglym.
Then wax with bildhamer quick wax.

Stays lovely and shiny ( I have the te exclusive, so black, and looks great even for a three year old bike)

For chrome…. Mothers metal polish

Clean bike. Then any rag damp with ACF50, all over, metal, plastic, just keep away from brakes. Bike will look like new.

As a general caveat, a salesman at BMW told me the other day that the biggest enemy to a bikes long term finish, are the general Traffic Film Removers TRF's
that are on sale today. He said they are far too strong, and damage the paint/lacquer applied at the factory.

My 14 year old 1150GS still looked like new after 90k miles. Granted, It wasnt used through any winter. But still got the mileage. Mr Sheen and ACF50.

Bilt Hamber Surfex HD is really good for washing the bike.

Stardust Eclat aerosol polish is good for a quick polish.

As above, Bilt Hamber products, Surfex HD to spray on the grimy bits, Auto Wash followed by QD (quick detailer) to polish. expensive but goes a hell of a long way when diluted, you wont get better

Never had much success with TFR/snowfoam. Quite satisfying in a strange way, but doesn't seem to do much at all :nenau

Ceramic coating……..absolute game changer if applied correctly.

I had both of my bikes done by Autobrite direct…..5 year ceramic makes cleaning soooooo much easier.

I use a Citrus based APC (concentrate) you can dilute down as a pre wash spray - let it sit for a minute or 2 to soak into the debris, then use normal 2 wash bucket method to wash the bike down. Then rinse the whole thing off once finished.

For paintwork; a good clean (post APC & bucket) will involve using a clay bar on the paint & metal to remove road tar and cleanse the surface OF embedded flies & debris. Then to protect it use a paint sealer then a decent layer of Wax on top. Depending on how often you ride and the conditions, repeat once every 1-2 months.

GSA 1250 Triple Black (it does matter) Turtle wax car shampoo and 'wax it wet' spray on a micro fibre cloth to dry it. Every now and again I use Autoglym vinyl stuff on the plastic. Finished off with Muc off bike protection spray. My bikes are used daily and always look like new.

Attachments

• EECEFEE6-97CD-4826-B7F9-5B1DFB61BF0B.jpg
    EECEFEE6-97CD-4826-B7F9-5B1DFB61BF0B.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 319
Looks nice, except for the awful baking tins on each side.

GSA 1250 Triple Black (it does matter) Turtle wax car shampoo and 'wax it wet' spray on a micro fibre cloth to dry it. Every now and again I use Autoglym vinyl stuff on the plastic. Finished off with Muc off bike protection spray. My bikes are used daily and always look like new.

Exactly as this man says. Decent shampoo and then use a hybrid wax that wipes on when wet. These modern products do all with little effort. Meguirs Hydrid / demon shine / turtle wax hybrid build protection.

Barry

Agree

Don't have to go professional either - a range of products for those wanting to dabble from spray on/rinse off -to- lite versions (particularly good is Gyeon Cancoat) -to- full ceramics that need care applying.

also agree that ACF50 and MrSheen have a place in the cupboard too

Wash with sdoc100.
Dry, then polish with autoglym.
Then wax with bildhamer quick wax.

Stays lovely and shiny ( I have the te exclusive, so black, and looks great even for a three year old bike)

Almost identical for me with the addition of a cloth wetted with XCP, all over the exposed metal / plastics.
I also use the bildhammer wax sparingly on my car, stunning finish.

Back
Top Bottom