A few days in the Ardennes / France?

gazuk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As this morphed into a trip to the Ardennes, I have moved it.

Richard

Due to Covid and health issues, I now eventually have to use my Eurotunnel ticket before the end of the year. (moved it several times).

So, it's now booked to leave on Tuesday 6th Sept at 9:20am and return on Friday 9th Sept at 16:20.

I'm not into long days on motorways to get to and from somewhere as we only have 4 days and I don't know France that well to know if theres a nice 4 day loop or somewhere nice to hold up for 3 nights and ride round an area. I have been recommended the Ardennes, but that still looks like a 250m + slog to get there.

Now, if someone gave me a blank piece of paper and told me to plan a 4 day trip, I would probaly pick Wales. But we have these tickets so seems a shame to waste them.

Though this may have been a common question seeing that Calais is the most common entry point into Europe, but had a trawl thought he posts and couldn't see anything.

So any suggestions for a 4 day trip, starting and finishing in Calais. Ideally stay somwhere for the 3 nights but will travel around if neccesary to get decent roads and scenery. As for daily mileage, I don't think much more than 200.

Funny that but I asked a similar question and got some great help from Wapping. I am sure he'll be along in a mo but until he does, we have also planned a 6 day trip from NL down through North France towards Normandy so if you take the 2 days off from North France to NL and back you'd have something similar. PM me and I'll try and send you the routes and hotels we booked

The Ardennes is not as far as you think. Rocroi via non motorway is 4.5 hours, 166 miles if you go via Arras & Cambrai.
https://goo.gl/maps/rxbpfbqYp164cWrq6 shows a couple of hotels in a nice square

From there you could ride a few loops or move onto Givet or Dinant. Perhaps head back up to Arras on the Thursday so you do not have far to travel up to the Tunnel on Friday.

I take that is 09:20 rolling off the train in Calais, not 09:20 departure time at Folkestone?

The really good news is that you have a lot of choice. Me? I’d look at one of the following:

A. I’d take a quick blat down the motorway to Cambrai. Not because it’s fun but because it’s only a hour.

B. Then to either:

1. La Roche en Ardenne

2. Bouillon

3. Dinant

4. St Vith

And stay in one of them for the three nights or maybe work two of them together for one night then two nights, before going back to Calais and home.

Around all / any of them there is plenty to ride about and / or see and do.

Why not have a wee mooch around some of the WW1 & 2 memorials and battlefields? There are plenty to choose from in Northern France and Belgium.

Thanks so much for all the (quick) replies.

Will sit down with map and Kurviger and see what I can do. Certainly more excited about it now.

My train is going out at 9:20am from Folkstone so won't get to Calais till 10:50, so won't too too many miles on the firs day.

My riding companions did the WW1 & WW2 memorials last year so will problem not do those this time.

My train is going out at 9:20am from Folkstone so won't get to Calais till 10:50, so won't too too many miles on the firs day.

In which case, shove in that hour of motorway to Cambrai or even St Quentin to make up time.

You can of course do it on the D roads, too. I vary it, depending on what I fancy.

Why not have a wee mooch around some of the WW1 & 2 memorials and battlefields? There are plenty to choose from in Northern France and Belgium.

:thumb

If you have any military interest and don't want to do massive mileage, you could aim to stay in St.Omer and after your crossing go to see the Blockhouse at Eperleques part way to St.Omer...I thought it incredible and it occupies a few hours easily.

Then get to St.Omer and enjoy an evening in and around the square.

Next day go to see the massive V2 site "La Coupole" at nearby Wizernes, which can occupy most of a day.

Historic Cassel could be a little run on your last day.

Just a short trip idea for you, something I've done and thoroughly enjoyed.

Or, a classic favourite and only about four hours away from Calais, I seem to remember, is Bouillon and the Ardennes, with all the Battle of the Bulge stuff and nice little towns/villages.

I'm assuming they won't want to do the WW stuff, but I haven't discussed it with them yet. They did mention Ypres recently, so can't rule it out.

They've recently returned from 8 days in the Alps, so I think they are struggling with motivation for 4 days in France

alternative is turn right from Coquelles (not Calais as the tunnel is not there)

wander along the coast and stay in Dieppe maybe. Hotel Windsor a pleasant Logis hotel on the sea front with secure parking. Nice Saturday market to mooch about.

Ride along the coast road via the lighthouse at Fecamp and the beach at Etretat to see the impressive cliffs. Hop over the big bridge at Le Havre for lunch in Honfleur.

Return to Dieppe via one of the other bridges like Pont de Bretonne or the Duclair ferry.

So, thanks to all the advice, the trip is now sorted.

We have booked a Logis hotel in Montherme. Tried Rocroi but couldn't get suitable hotel.

Day 1 - morning : Calais - Canbria on motorway, lunch somewhere
afternoon : Cabria - Montherme via Kurviger twisty roads, 86 miles 2hr 40 mins (tried Rocroi but couldn't get suitable hotel)
Day 2 - Ride magazine day trip 'Ardennes Taster' 160 miles, even starts at Montherme :)
Day 3 - TBC, but looks like we are cental in the Ardennes so lots of options. Givet, Dinant ?
Day 4 - reverse of day 1 for a 16:20 train

Really looking forward to it now.

As others stated its a doddle to get to the Ardennes from Calais.

You can be off the motorways after 90 mins or so, and then the roads just get better and better, we often stop at Bouillon on way out, then into Luxembourg - Vainden is nice and back via Durbury / Bastogne / La Roche en Ardenne.

4 Days is enough for us to have a good trip and worth the "slog" to get there - compared to some 500+ mile days with a tunnel crossing thrown in we have done this is a bloody doddle.

I am just over 2 hours from the Tunnel and have managed to meet with mates in Bastogne for lunch - leaving home @6:00 - the best part of the day to be on UK roads :)

Here are some routes I use:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/profile/routes/485#858527/name/asc

Not a fan of some Ride routes as they are tailored for any bike from Goldwing to C90.

:thumb

If you have any military interest and don't want to do massive mileage, you could aim to stay in St.Omer and after your crossing go to see the Blockhouse at Eperleques part way to St.Omer...I thought it incredible and it occupies a few hours easily.

Then get to St.Omer and enjoy an evening in and around the square.

Next day go to see the massive V2 site "La Coupole" at nearby Wizernes, which can occupy most of a day.

Historic Cassel could be a little run on your last day.

Just a short trip idea for you, something I've done and thoroughly enjoyed.

Or, a classic favourite and only about four hours away from Calais, I seem to remember, is Bouillon and the Ardennes, with all the Battle of the Bulge stuff and nice little towns/villages.

Blockhouse highly recommended!:thumb2

In the same position - leave on 24th back on 2nd Oct

Same as above, free ticket from the covid cancellations - looking at Ride Routes myself as an option - the ride 5 day tour (non motorway) is my fav so far, but like the original poster any suggestions welcome

Back
Top Bottom