ICELAND Reset - 2022

Crikey. I'm now glad i didn't buy that smaller bike to experience a bit more of the smaller trails, looks fantastic though, and Harold you're a star for keeping going, though I see you're still finding alternative routes through the river crossings:blast:D
Great write up as always Tim. keep it coming:thumb.

Did I mention I hate sand.......

Tim, are you running tubes or mousse’s?

I always strongly advise using Heavy Duty tubes for trips and keep mousses for local trail riding.
Whilst some may not have a problem on a longer trip using mousses if they do then it may impact everyone else.

Some of those HD tubes are harder to fit than Mousses !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some of those HD tubes are harder to fit than Mousses !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes Ultra Heavy Duty tubes can be a fiddle to fit with a stiff walled 80/80 front tyre but spare tubes carried are normally rubber tubes so easy to fit ...also rubber tubes accept a patch more easily.

So bottom line is, use normal HD tubes, carry standard rubber tubes as spare (because theyre lighter) plus repair kit to fix your tube that evening. It's fail safe. :)

Fit UHD tube same way you'd fit a mousse ie. semi inflated in the tyre, then offer up to the rim. Piece of piss :thumb2

Anyway, time to press on, head further north and find somewhere to camp.

20220729_110055-X3.jpg

This will do nicely.

20220729_103434-X3.jpg

Baz and I always pitch away from the snorers, tonight we'll just hear the birds and sea.

20220729_100712-X3.jpg

Dinner on before a tidy up!

20220728_202622-X3.jpg

After a great night's sleep Liz packing up

20220729_100852-X3.jpg

A new friend for Terry

20220729_100925-X2.jpg

Time to head off again, first south...

20220729_102848-X3.jpg

Old stoves outside an abandoned fish factory.

20220729_111342-X3.jpg

20220729_111357-X3.jpg

I've let the others go on ahead, we'll meet for fuel this gives me time to have have a final look back in the distance to where we spent the previous night.

20220729_111932-X3.jpg

We meet up with a well rested John again.

This is not him btw and the face only only a Mother could love.

i-CP6SGQw-X3.jpg

Taking the old road which some previous groups have named this part 'The Bridge of Doom' although surprisingly we've never had an incident here.

Arriving at our next stop over I see the familiar face of Jon who's run's this amazing hotel, campsite with the largest natural hot pool in Iceland.
He's a hugely strong guy and a keen adventurer with both 4x4s and bikes, we always talk about new routes that have become lost and some of mine handed on by him.

Jon looks up and smiles "Hi" offering me his huge hand, I take it knowing what's coming!

I shake my crushed hand asking "Jon, why do you always try to break my hand when we meet"?

He laughs and says "Ok next time I'll get my wife to shake your hand"

Great Icelandic humour :D

I haven't mentioned cold yet.

Turns out to be the coldest summer year since records began.

i-BcNxsRB-X4.jpg

After restocking in a big town we try our luck at the newly opened viewing flatform at Bolafjall, it was under cloud although did catch the occasional glimpse.
It's a blatant tourist attraction which personally I hate after being in the same place several times previously when it was a relatively natural view point.

We take the old road

i-6xNCpKM-X4.jpg

We clear the rocks from our path along the narrow section ....just in case!

i-mzGDPSk-X3.jpg

Luckily H takes a left dab and not a right!!!

Your's truly

John followed by Liz

i-mds7wmg-X4.jpg

This innocuous looking last mile or so of boulder field is used by no one except sheep these days and always catches someone out. I've been knocked off here twice on separate bikes so it was a great relief to make it through unscathed.

i-2ffBxfp-X4.jpg

We head to a favourite cafe for apple pie and coffee

i-n6FXfBF-X4.jpg

Friendly and familiar faces smile and tell me mine "is on the house" :)

i-npNWMkr-X3.jpg

We press on to our next camp and quickly get the tents up only to be told we have to move them!

Joy.

I'm mindful this evening's weather is the last opportunity to ride what is one of my favourite trails anywhere in the world also as some will know we need to watch the tide.

Most are simply too tired for it which temporarily leave s four of us, Baz, Liz, JD and myself.......I say temporarily since John left his fancy lights on while getting ready and flattened his battery, I guess also being tired it was the final straw :D

The 3 of us head round at a good pace barely pausing

i-tWCmq5h-X4.jpg

i-mKKFkHH-X4.jpg

Late into the ride we pass a High Col and there should be a stunning view ahead and behinds us but we're met with a bank of thin cloud.
At first a little disappointing until we saw this!!!

Luckily Liz could remember what it was called, a rare "Brocken Spectre" just stunning.

i-MbDJq4c-X3.jpg

We finish the ride off with a tricky climb into blinding sunlight for a late evening look.

i-qMKwKCM-X4.jpg

i-PGp3DF2-X4.jpg

i-w2QW22v-X4.jpg

i-vPwNRj5-X4.jpg

A perfect evening

i-JWnMXz4-X4.jpg

And the end of another long day

i-Z6T42wC-X4.jpg

We continue around the Western Fjords, I've been so many times I've found myself not taking photos unless the lights special also seem to have lost some of the other's so just have a few.

First stop, magnificent Dynjandi

i-hS5FS9R-X4.jpg

Terry walks up to take a little video

Out to the other end of my favourite fjord where Baz and Terry try to get the the 'very end' where the track disappears. They did very well and it looked difficult but seem to have lost their photos.

This was after Liz and I had started to become concerned for them after hearing nothing for over 30 minutes so headed out after them, pic is on the way back again.

i-FLWGvC6-X4.jpg

Heading for our next campsite at the seaside which I checked out last year

i-NbNG3d5-X4.jpg

i-kmpt4wj-X4.jpg

I get my meal on

i-HpdNHnf-X3.jpg

Today we'll save a long grind of a ride by taking the ferry south out of the West Fjords.

Stopping for the obligatory along the way

i-CTZ2mr7-X3.jpg

Steve and Geoff will rejoin us once we're off the boat.

I'm sent a their destination waypoint

i-QBLGspd-X3.jpg

i-6MxZL4c-X2.jpg

A momentary stop at the island of Flatey

i-wm3vXTb-X4.jpg

i-cGW9FBX-X4.jpg

John gets some shut eye

i-rxTQQXj-X3.jpg

JD gets some shut eye

i-z27Knt6-X3.jpg

Off the boat and it's hugs and kisses with Steve and Geoff

i-tTghHFk-X3.jpg

We use the town's campsite, I cook a disastrous meal while the others go to a restaurant for food and beer.
Luckily not too much beer as it seems someone dobbed them into the police and they were all breathalysed on there way back, all just under the threshold of a cell for the night.

i-ghhCCvm-X4.jpg

i-DFLgHPB-X4.jpg

Getting a little tired myself now, just one more full days riding to go.

i-jB8f9JD-X3.jpg

Some of the guys had never been on a glacier and didn't know they were about to until coming over a rise 100m from it, they were delighted!

i-F8W99fJ-X4.jpg

It always has to be tried of course

i-BpXtgNs-X3.jpg

Being on the lightest bike still didn't help Baz, the melting snow offered no grip at all

i-cwZZDNH-X3.jpg

Getting ready to leave a blizzard hits us, it's freezing cold and a strong wind driving sleet on our backs.
There's nowhere to stop in shelter until here, miraculously although the wind's still hard the sun comes out and warms us.
From here we have a choice of direction, everyone's up for my preference :)

i-KNbv37Q-X3.jpg

i-prNJBtR-X2.jpg

Geoff taking it all in, he's been here before

i-4p53kVD-X3.jpg

Soon we're not alone

i-GnMPBMX-X3.jpg

The Quads were ahead of us and fast, of course that was like a red rag to a bull and we pick them off one by one on the sweeping trail that has everything from deep sand to twisting lava fields.
Once past them a few of us keep this fast pace for the next 25 miles or so where we're going to turn onto a smaller trail

i-RRmdxjZ-X4.jpg

We need to wait quite a while to regroup

i-LRksX3q-X4.jpg

John takes a rest

i-p7kr7qP-X4.jpg

i-LfDMqgh-X4.jpg

Lots of sand and lava field. later we stop for a breather and to regroup

i-NHWj7Fh-X4.jpg

i-M2mrCfj-X4.jpg

I could feel the soft sand sucking power from my 525 with the luggage on making it difficult to keep on top even when riding flat out.

i-NCZkhgv-X4.jpg

Liz

i-nWs7wGq-X3.jpg

Geoff

i-V2WdGrX-X4.jpg

Steve

i-4BTT7Gq-X3.jpg

And John :thumb

i-mhfZjQP-X4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom