CANBUS QUESTION

Gordyman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2017 GSA.

I had a puncture today and did a road side repair. I used my Givi air pump to start pumping the tyre back up and after a short period it stopped working. To get me home I used the little CO2 cartridges that I also carry as back up so no problem getting back on the road.

I have since learnt on scouring this site that the accessory socket that I used (OE item on right hand side of bike adjacent clocks) is connected to the Canbus system and is too low an amperage rating for most if not all portable air pumps.

My first question:- Does the Canbus automatically reset itself or do I need to fix it and if so how would I do this?

Second question:- I have been trying to source a Haynes workshop manual for my bike but it seems that they don't do one for this bike; they only go up to 2016. Would the 2016 manual be ok for my bike or is there a manual out there specifically for my bike. I have googled etc and can't find anything.

For the future I will be connecting a fly lead set up direct to the battery so I can use my air pump. I intend to do this as per the useful threads that I have found that are already on here.

Your help and advice regarding the two questions will as always gratefully received :thumb2

No it’s fine. The Canbus controlled power outlet just current limits to 5Amps which, as you’ve said is not enough for most pumps.
It’ll self reset. You don’t need to do anything.

Folk usually fit an auxiliary socket direct to the battery (via a 10Amp fuse) for things like pumps, heated clothing etc, or like you said, flying leads.

CAN bus is a communication module , nothing to do with voltage as such

The reason your pump failed is because you connected it to a 12v 1.5A or 3A socket

You pump will draw 12A on start and then a constant 5A ( or roundabout)

The bike electrics are not designed to run loads like that for long period, so has solid state relays / fuses ( and a couple of conventional fuses)

You need either to run the pump direct from the battery, or via a Denali / Hex ezcan module, whereby you specify what amperage to run the accessory.

But even then there will be a time limit to prevent excess current dray/ overheating

Once you turn off the ignition, and let the bike go to sleep ( 2 mins or so) Provided the cause of the relay / fuse trip is no longer present, the system

will reset itself.

Cheers chaps for replies.
Any answers/advice ref workshop manual perchance?

Cheers chaps for replies.
Any answers/advice ref workshop manual perchance?

"They are all the same"
At a detail level they are not, but for most things the Haines will suffice.

Had the same problem.

I found my pump would work until about 20psi ish... then as the strain on the pump increase it tripped

i used the same connectors used for Optimate.
put a lead from battery to the rubber covered connector under my seat.
then another lead with a normal cig lighter socket on.

Now when i need it, i jump off the bike, leave engine running.
click off seat, grab lead from bag and plug in.
connect pump and works like a charm :)

I let my rear tyre down in the garage to test it lol

Crocodile clips for me and can use on all bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom