V85TT 2021 Catastrophic spoke failure

Wow, that's not good.

Only ever seen something like that once before, turned out the tolerance on the holes in the rim were everso slightly out and a couple of the spoke nipples pulled through putting more strain on the rest.... Ended up looking like that rear wheel.

I had a look at the tubeless wheels on a new Guzzi the other week
From memory ……I think they are manufactured by the same company that make the 1200/1250 wheels and there was a few ‘issues’ reported here
Can someone with a 21/22 V85 have a look at their tubeless rims this morning and confirm the manufacturer details stamped on the rim edge

I wonder how many riders with spoked wheels make sure they have the spoke torque checked at service.

Here it's a Guzzi, but we have seen rear wheels collapse on GSs & even Super 10s.

Yamaha xtz1200 super teneres were known to have spokes coming loose. I had a broken spoke within the first few hundred miles from new, the whole wheel was rebuilt under warranty. The yamaha wheels were very similar to those on Suzuki V stroms ( I don't know if they had similar issues) I regularly checked mine with an allen key. I used small cable ties to bind two together to help mitigate this.

Back
Top Bottom