Defunct server sending emails? Mulder and Scully on this one

Deleted account 231211001

Reaction score
Back in 1999 my good lady wife let me piggy-back on to her work server ( fnarr fnarr) and have one of them new fangled email addresses for myself until
some years later I got myself a proper grown up gmail address because the original one at btconnect.com was decommissioned. Or so we thought.

Like moving house, I set up a forward function from the btconnect to the new gmail and all went well for years.

Today I got a an email at my gmail address forwarded from the old btconnect address telling me that some git had changed my Twitter password.

I thought this was a scam until I checked my Twitter account settings and sure enough the sneaky toerags had managed to hack the account. But.....using the allegedly defunct btconnect email address I had set up the Twitter account with many moons ago.

So... for any tech guru who can solve this one.....how on earth can a btconnect server that they tell me is closed still be receiving and forwarding emails?

Or have they left it open and just fibbed because they cant be arsed to track down and properly close it down?

In the meantime how can I protect my current online presence when i cannot get access to a bt server address that allegedly no longer exists?

Many thanks in advance.

Back in 1999 my good lady wife let me piggy-back on to her work server ( fnarr fnarr) and have one of them new fangled email addresses for myself until
some years later I got myself a proper grown up gmail address because the original one at btconnect.com was decommissioned. Or so we thought.

Like moving house, I set up a forward function from the btconnect to the new gmail and all went well for years.

Today I got a an email at my gmail address forwarded from the old btconnect address telling me that some git had changed my Twitter password.

I thought this was a scam until I checked my Twitter account settings and sure enough the sneaky toerags had managed to hack the account. But.....using the allegedly defunct btconnect email address I had set up the Twitter account with many moons ago.

So... for any tech guru who can solve this one.....how on earth can a btconnect server that they tell me is closed still be receiving and forwarding emails?

Or have they left it open and just fibbed because they cant be arsed to track down and properly close it down?

In the meantime how can I protect my current online presence when i cannot get access to a bt server address that allegedly no longer exists?

Many thanks in advance.

BT just disabled your login to the email server, but left the account active on the server, possibly in the hope you would pay their stupidly high fee to access it again at some point.

Update on the saga with a positive outcome.

Having registered as a BT business user I had a series of back-and-forth emails with a very helpful chap who finally came back and told me that their boffins had closed off the old @btconnect.com email address as requested.
I've not had any more twattish scammers using that address since, so it looks like BT have been good on their word. Thanks for the advice and I hope that's the end of it :)

Back
Top Bottom