E Bike Decision help please

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I'm down to a choice of two models.
A, 16kg with 250 wh assist frame tube integral 60 mile approx
B, 20kg with Shimano E6100 60Nm motor? External battery 40 mile approx

Age 67 and already have 4 road and commuter bikes and was fit until local hospital managed to mess my back up and now slightly disabled so no more road miles or hills.
I keep coming back to the question of weight vs power as we all do with ebikes.
I'm sure there are mixed views out there so help please.

TDo you need the extra power is the question. The power to weight ratio suggests they should feel fairly similar. And the lighter Bike should be easier to stop, turn, and manoeuvre

With a now 50% weakened leg I need the power for the hills at least but with be a negative on the flat. Typical.

Both are really only assist type motors not like the full blown Cannondale and others.

I'd say the extra power & weight makes it a less attractive proposition, as it's taken up already and you've not really gained anything or the other. With them being assisted only, personally, the lower power and much lighter one is what i'd be choosing.

Unless you're going to need to pick it up, I don't see 16kg v 20kg being an issue when you look at us humans at 80-100kg (and the rest) See if you can get a test ride on a couple and make your mind up afterwards (There must be some hire centres in N Wales as well...perhaps hire one for 4 hours ?)

A all day long, just about manageable for the car and 60 mile will satisfy 97% plus of riders. My wife has a 250w motor in a LE frame (16kgs) it goes up 25% hills that the TDF lads would balk at.

most bikes come with a 500-650w battery combined with a 80-95nm motor. you don't need to use all the power on hand, but as they say its nice to have it, most motors come with an app were you can tap into and alter the power in each mode to suit your riding, from as little 30% assist and up to 400% in turbo... i ride in eco till i feel ive had a good workout then switch to turbo all the way home... they are a bit heavy to lug around but you can easily detach the battery for loading and unloading

For a 4kg weight difference I'd go with option A, always useful to have a bit of range:thumb2. I bought a Cannondale and use it near enough daily, dont want to spend time charging/worrying about whether it'll get you home or not:(Cheers,:beerjug:John B

My 2019 Giant Trance E+2 Pro is 24Kg, I’ve done 30 miles over the South Downs on it and still had some power remaining, I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use full power. On this mornings early local Sunday ride I did 18 miles with a few climbs through the Forest of Bere and came home with 4/5ths remaining on the battery. They are more powerful and efficient than you might expect.

You never get the claimed range out of battery before range anxiety sets in and/or you limit your route to suit.
Cannondale Trekking bike with a500W battery with Bosch motor in Tour mode on flat / medium terrain gives about 40 miles and you are well into 'reserve' by then.
Personally, I would go for a bigger battery (625W) as it gives you more options on how far to travel. The latest version of my bike is now 625W
Also, a 9 or 10 speed rear cassette is more than enough on an e-Bike with 4 power modes. These are cheaper and easier to source than the 12 speed on my Cannondale.
Would also try and go for a decent chain - Shimano XT or SRAM. e-bikes are heavy on chains; now on my third in just over 2 years and 3,700 miles.

e-bikes are generally restricted to 15.5mph assisted power unless you chip them. Some motors appear more able to be tweaked than Bosch Gen 4 but even that is possible to a degree.
15.5mph is PITA cut-out speed around town, not quite fast enough to keep up with traffic in the 20mph zones and also means its legs only if putting on a fast spurt through a roundabout.

Option A,
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-e/

I was looking at assisted power bikes but should I be looking at the more powerful options????????

Lad I ride with has a Ribble with an integrated wheel motor. Easily completes 40 mile circuits with us and breezes up the climbs. Advantage of the hub motor means if you ever do run out of juice they are more akin to a normal bike to pedal. Mid drive bikes are like pedalling through treacle plus 25 kgs.

I have a mid drive bike, I don't think it's as bad as you make out, certainly nothing like pedalling through treacle.
I'm loving this thing I can't stay off it, but I need to sort the seat, kills my ample arse by 15miles.

Attachments

• trek-allant-plus-5-electric-hybrid-bike-2021-roe-valley-cycles-2-1536x1152.jpg
    trek-allant-plus-5-electric-hybrid-bike-2021-roe-valley-cycles-2-1536x1152.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 208
Decent shorts will sort it. I wear Endura only and spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in the comments on this thread, im a keen biker got a full suspension bike and also a trek cycle cross that ive used for many years commenting in Aberdeen fairly flat. I’m now moved over to Harris and so lot of road riding (single track horrible tarmac) so toying with an e-hybrid and been looking at this https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/turbo-vado-sl-4-0-eq/p/188202?color=303859-188202 might be a good option for you also OP?

Anyone got one i will start a new thread asking the question.

Thanks

Yep, I’ve been thinking of the green one in xl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to take into account the weight of the bike + rider, not just the bike alone. If you live in a hilly area a mid motor with it's additional torque will definitely make life easier than one with a hub motor with half the torque :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom