Cornwall and back!

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a couple of spare days so took off at 5am Friday from Sunny Tamworth. Down the M5 to Bridgwater then A39 around and down the coast, down to the bottom although I didnt venture into Lands End as its just a Tourist trap! Back up to Porthtowan Beach, parked up outside the Blue Bar, watched the sun go down. Then back up to my Airbnb accommodation (tent) for the night. (9hrs riding) Next day floated around some nice back roads and then decided to call it a day as the heat was getting ridiculous in Full Rukka kit!! A30, back up the M5, M42 and home again. Left 5am Friday back 6pm Saturday 724 miles covered! Cornwall traffic was a nightmare however it beats sitting on the sofa watching the telly box!! Bike was faultless!

Attachments

• PXL_20220812_153312401.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220812_153312401.MP.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 250
  • PXL_20220812_123718871.jpg
    PXL_20220812_123718871.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 245
  • PXL_20220813_063302437.jpg
    PXL_20220813_063302437.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 257
That’s a great effort and well done for lasting as long as you did in the Rukka gear. I had a few days down in Somerset in late June, it was warm, but not anything like as bad as it currently.

Yeh respect; :beerjug:that's a good run; it took us 9hrs to get back to Sheff last Friday; like you say; traffic was a nightmare; A30 fkd; M5 fkd; M42 fkd.

Fair play to you in this heat, I regularly do Blunsdon (Wilts) to Penzance - pasty from Warrens for lunch - Marazion - coffee and cake and a paddle - then home. Leave at 06:00 back by 02:00, last one was 2 weeks ago and it was a little chilly on the beach, no way I'd do it in a heatwave especially not in full Rukka gear, I can't work out if you're a legend or need some sort of intervention ;)

Next time, avoid the A30 and use the lesser roads connecting Launceston-Okehampton-Crediton-Tiverton as given any 'decent' weather the A30 is liable to crystallise around Exeter; good effort in this current weather :thumb

Have another go out of silly season Cornwall is great when nobody is there other than the locals...

Fek, Is that Porthtowan beach in the pic? we used to go there as kids with the family, stayed in a little cottage in Nancekuke (extended family owned) having travelled down by train hauled by steam engines! It certainly wasn't that busy back then as the Silverline bus company could only bring 30 odd people at a time! Went back a few years ago with my missus and stayed at the hotel up on the left cliff (as you look at the sea)Fabulous place. Cheers:beerjug:John B

Fek, Is that Porthtowan beach in the pic? we used to go there as kids with the family, stayed in a little cottage in Nancekuke (extended family owned) having travelled down by train hauled by steam engines! It certainly wasn't that busy back then as the Silverline bus company could only bring 30 odd people at a time! Went back a few years ago with my missus and stayed at the hotel up on the left cliff (as you look at the sea)Fabulous place. Cheers:beerjug:John B

Yes its Porthtowan beach. I think the hotel is now renovated and become very posh apartments. It was an extremely busy time!

Back
Top Bottom