Garmin - time for a change ?

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have had a garmin 346 for 18 months now and used it quite a bit for European trips.
I always have to load a massive amount of waypoints as i cannot get the hang of using Basecamp (on a mac) no matter how hard i try.

So, although I quite like the garmin, i am thinking of swapping for a tomtom 550.
I have tried their map software and although basic seems real easy to make a full route (much like google maps).

Before i swap, any thoughts ???
Any help appreciated.

borrow one and use it is my only advice, my wife has tomtom and I have garmin, I detest the software on the unit and she hates mine, when we use the camper van we swap over units when driving, silly I know but there it is.
I would rather use a phone than tomtom

Why not use something other than Basecamp? There's a recent thread and the chap struggling with a BMW Garmin thing has found MyRoute has helped get some routes for his trip.

I have the Zumo 390. I just use trip planner on the Zumo itself, getting mapping detail from Google Maps for waypoints from my phpne, tablet or laptop. I break a trip down into single or half days where routes are pre-planned. This also means I can easily knock up a route sat in a hotel after checking weather reports during a trip, as I am fully familiar with the Zumo and its little ways.

Thanks.
I think the Mac basecamp is not as good either.
I like to plan route with some roads and a bit of motorway - these satnavs tend to choose either one or the other and not a mix.
A to B i can use my phone / google but a nice 5 hour tour in france is not so easy with specific places i want.
Might look at MyRoute - thanks.

Yup, MyRoute app and if you want to use the maps on a phone use their Navigator App.

Why not use something other than Basecamp? There's a recent thread and the chap struggling with a BMW Garmin thing has found MyRoute has helped get some routes for his trip.

I have the Zumo 390. I just use trip planner on the Zumo itself, getting mapping detail from Google Maps for waypoints from my phpne, tablet or laptop. I break a trip down into single or half days where routes are pre-planned. This also means I can easily knock up a route sat in a hotel after checking weather reports during a trip, as I am fully familiar with the Zumo and its little ways.

If someone ever writes a book about how a software user interface should not be, Basecamp would probably tick of most of the boxes.
However, if people endure the pain and keep using BC, eventually, it will work at a level we may be able to live with.

I have tried several other options, such as MRA and other similar programs. And the planning is soooo much easier in most cases.
But there is a catch, which force me to revert to BC every time.

Most of these programs draws their route as a track. This means that a day of decent driving may contain several thousand waypoints. Some of the programs do offer to turn the track into a Route, as a GPX file. But in many cases, the generated route contains LOTS of waypoints.

This still looks great on the PC screen. Hower, as Garmin GPS will only handle a limited number of waypoints, more often than not, the wonderful looking routes comes out different when loaded to the GPS. The GPS handles the first waypoints, and up to it's maximum limit. And then the route stops.

There may be some smart ways around it that I have not yet discovered, but it boils down to the reality. Even as cumbersome as the BC may be, it takes a shorter time to plan a ride with some distance using BC rather than using MRA (or similar) and then modify the generated rout into something useful.

Splitting the long ride into several shorter routes may overcome some of the issues, but then again, that is a pain too.

If using the phone, these limits may perhaps not apply, but until further, I'm not ready for using the phone yet...

If someone ever writes a book about how a software user interface should not be, Basecamp would probably tick of most of the boxes.
However, if people endure the pain and keep using BC, eventually, it will work at a level we may be able to live with.

I have tried several other options, such as MRA and other similar programs. And the planning is soooo much easier in most cases.
But there is a catch, which force me to revert to BC every time.

Most of these programs draws their route as a track. This means that a day of decent driving may contain several thousand waypoints. Some of the programs do offer to turn the track into a Route, as a GPX file. But in many cases, the generated route contains LOTS of waypoints.

This still looks great on the PC screen. Hower, as Garmin GPS will only handle a limited number of waypoints, more often than not, the wonderful looking routes comes out different when loaded to the GPS. The GPS handles the first waypoints, and up to it's maximum limit. And then the route stops.

There may be some smart ways around it that I have not yet discovered, but it boils down to the reality. Even as cumbersome as the BC may be, it takes a shorter time to plan a ride with some distance using BC rather than using MRA (or similar) and then modify the generated rout into something useful.

Splitting the long ride into several shorter routes may overcome some of the issues, but then again, that is a pain too.

If using the phone, these limits may perhaps not apply, but until further, I'm not ready for using the phone yet...

There is the old school approach of looking at a map to have a general idea where you are going, then looking at road signs as you travel. Breaking the journey into single days makes utter sense to me. I might change my mind part way through the trip so only have to alter a short route rather than some sort of 14 day megalithic, micromanaged plan!

Planning my Route des Grand Alpes trip next month:

IMG_4954.jpg

Scenic and or MyRoute work perfectly, and it’s easy enough to bung in a few waypoints the night before including a biker mate recommended Starbucks of course). Or modify in a mountainside lay-by. Maps download and all works well offline.

Basecamp is the most hateful piece of software I have ever experienced and will be pleased never to cross paths with it ever again.

Planning my Route des Grand Alpes trip next month:

View attachment 544135

Scenic and or MyRoute work perfectly, and it’s easy enough to bung in a few waypoints the night before including a biker mate recommended Starbucks of course). Or modify in a mountainside lay-by. Maps download and all works well offline.

Basecamp is the most hateful piece of software I have ever experienced and will be pleased never to cross paths with it ever again.

I think we might need a room :)

Back
Top Bottom