canbus spare connector

teletek

Reaction score
hi All, (re-posting this here as I was in the wrong forum area to start)

On my 2021 R1250 GS triple black, there is a capped connector (Canbus?) at the front, down the left hand side, clipped to the inner fairing panel winglet.

Does anyone know what this can be used for? Is it an ignition controlled power source, does it need a data feed?

It has 3 wires feeding into it red/purple thin line, purple and brown. Checked with voltmeter and it's not supplying voltage with Ign on or off, (so what's it supposed to do?)
Would this feed need a separate fuse or connection somewhere?

Trying to identify this to see if its usable for powering an Qi phone charger mount.

Fog lights.
Won't work for that as it needs the bar mounted switch, wiring loom and the modules coding for it to go live.
Run it off the one on the right hand side that is for the sat nav.

Fog lights.
Won't work for that as it needs the bar mounted switch, wiring loom and the modules coding for it to go live.
Run it off the one on the right hand side that is for the sat nav.

Oh! great info thanks. The one on the right is already in use for satnav, do you think it will be alright to piggy-back off it, or splice into the rear?

Piggback

You could piggyback onto the din socket at the front.
Wunderlich make a connector / adaptor for this purpose. Simply connects inline and has two spade connector spurs. No need to splice or tap any wires.
Nippy Norman sells them.

Should be okay for your intended purpose though you’ll have to work out what, if any, spare capacity/ amps that circuit will have in reserve if you wish to connect to the din socket itself.

Attachments

• DE770E85-957E-41B0-9265-F3FA69FE09AA.jpg
    DE770E85-957E-41B0-9265-F3FA69FE09AA.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 264
It’s cheaper to buy the dual usb that NN do than that lead!

True, but that would mean having a lead plugged into the socket with wires trailing.
If he uses the piggyback connector the spurs and wires can be routed out of sight to the Qi phone charger mount.
Also the double din may be pointless if the Qi uses the full ampage output of that circuit… it’s only 2 amps I believe.

Back
Top Bottom