Updating an Unupdatable apple mac!

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was reading the for sale section and saw a post about an old Imac for sale. Anyway, Rafletcher suggested installing an unofficial updater to bring it up to current OS. This

Well I did this yesterday on my 2014 Mac book Pro 11.5.6 and I'm now on the 12.5.1. It's easier than the write up on my mac, most likely due to it being a lot newer than some but it worked flawlessly. Even better, it suggested an update an hour ago and I went from 12.5.0 to 12.5.1. I was fully expecting it blow up or something but no, here I am spreading the world like some apple evangelist. :D

I expect this has been posted/discussed before but in any case, thank you Rafletcher for posting it.

Recomended :okay

If we could update iPads and phones it would rescue many from the bottom of cupboards. JJH

If we could update iPads and phones it would rescue many from the bottom of cupboards. JJH

You can update IPads. Just look in the settings. However, you can’t stop it slowing down due to no memory left.

You can update IPads. Just look in the settings. However, you can’t stop it slowing down due to no memory left.

Mine will not update part a very old os. So old apps don’t even work

I’ve one stuck on iOS 9

I’ve an original iPad. It would be perfect for surfing this place or watching YouTube etc but nothing works. It’s criminal really.

I think the difference between this and a computer is the mobile devises have very different hardware so it’s just not possible.

Thanks for this, might give this a go, my late 2012 is on 10.15.7, El Capitain, will have a read

Cheers

Thanks for this, might give this a go, my late 2012 is on 10.15.7, El Capitain, will have a read

Cheers

IT all seems to working fine. The install seemed to skip steps in the blurp i linked earlier BUT it really was only giving one option, so even i was able to figure it all out.

I've hit a bump in the road, it's not happy, trying to update from 10.15.7 to 12.5.1... any ideas?

Screenshot-2022-08-19-at-22-00-36.png

Very interesting. I'm sitting here is front of my 8 month old 24" iMac running 12.5 which my wife bought me for Christmas after I managed to make a right hash of my late 2013 27" iMac by attempting to install a Beta version of Monterey last year.

My son reformatted the old one today and reinstalled 10.15.7. So now what to do with it. I might just have a go at this; although given my track record to date...

I ran this past my son who has an Honours Degree in Software Engineering.

Him:
Would potentially work. But why is the question?

Me:
Security updates.

Him:
Except you're running an unsupported version then which will potentially have more security vulnerabilities

Me:
Will it not get the Monterey updates?

Him:
It might… but it’s not a standard build. So it won’t be tested properly.

Yes. It is totally not worth it. It would be an unstable system and will get less and less “safe” as you update, as some hardware is not supported anymore, etc.

Wouldn’t do this on a “main” machine.

Desktop/laptop macs are not elegible for upgrdes way past their usual life (you can normally assume 5 years of use before encountering speed issues). Shorter on the mobile devices, I agree, but still…

I ran this past my son who has an Honours Degree in Software Engineering.

Him:
Would potentially work. But why is the question?

Me:
Security updates.

Him:
Except you're running an unsupported version then which will potentially have more security vulnerabilities

Me:
Will it not get the Monterey updates?

Him:
It might… but it’s not a standard build. So it won’t be tested properly.

It won’t have more security vulnerabilities.

Potentially is bollocks

Security would be the least of your problems.

It’s not bollocks. You’d be running an instable system (might easily stop working at the first software update).

Also: you can run old machines on old OS versions. They do work.

I ran Dosdude1's patches for 3 years, from High Sierra onwards, then finally on Catalina. Made a 2008 MacBook Pro useable for everything bar video editing (hardware too slow).

Update beyond Catalina cannot be done due to Apple changing stuff under the hood, but it prolonged the life of an old MBP. Try using a 14 year old PC....

The patches did not affect updates from Apple; my assumption is that the patches are in addition to the standard OS.

Back
Top Bottom