Ireland Trip Report - Coastal Route (Rosslare>Rosslare Clockwise)

DJ123

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm recently back from a trip around most(ly) the coastal route of Ireland. Thought i'd share a synopsis of my experience, routes & scenery to help others considering the journey, routes and roads to ride.

Total days ridden; 6
Mileage: 1800-1900

Start/finish: Rosslare Harbour

My aim was to cover around 300 miles a day/8 hours riding time. This was more of a riding holiday, than sight seeing tourist attraction jaunt. If i was to do it again there'd certainly be parts of the route i would change, but none the less really enjoyed what i had planned.
I've made the routes public in MRA & linked below also, so you can search them, download them & edit if you wish.
All accommodation linked below - most are camping, but some have B&B options or Camping Pods too. All of them appeared to take Motorhomes too.

Day 1;
Rosslare Harbour to Hungry Hill Lodge & Campsite on the Beara Peninsula.

Day 2; up to Curraghchase Camping, Curraghchase

Favourite parts along this route was the Ballaghbeama Gap & Ballagisheen Pass

Day 3; up to Westport House, Westport

Favourite parts Leneagh through to Delphi

Day 4; up to Dunfanaghy, Corcreggan Camping/accomodation

Favourite sections from Donegal up to the final destination

Day 5; up to Castle Ward, near Strangford

favourite sections; the whole of the North Coast. A mix of great roads &/or scenery the whole way.

Day 6; (rest day) spent it at Castle Ward and the surrounding areas.

Day 7; back down to Rosslare (skipped camping and got on the evening Ferry)

favourite sections; Wickow Mountains

That’s what I would like to do one day good on you for posting up your trip what were the highlights and the low’s of the trip I bet the run to the 2300 ferry was a slog lol

Highlights; Pretty much all of it! Some of the best roads i've ridden thus far (i've done a lot of Europe at all), and some stunning scenery too.
low's; none Bike related as such. A few tweaks to do to the gear i take, and packing. Everything else was ok. Gripes were mainly stupid drivers (20mph on national speed roads), or c*nty kids/families at some of the campsites that ruin the time away and atmosphere for others.

The 2:45am ferry going out was not too bad. Sat at the dockside on the Bike watching Youtube until we boarded around 2:15. And the same again on the 8.45pm ferry back (i had a cabin either way so slept for most of it) - the slog coming back was getting off at Pembroke at 1AM and the 3.5 hour journey along the M4 home (at least there were no closures or roadworks!)

I should have taken you up on your offer to join you by the sounds of the trip
How do you fancy a trip to the Spanish Pyrenees in October

I should have taken you up on your offer to join you by the sounds of the trip
How do you fancy a trip to the Spanish Pyrenees in October

It sounds good, but unfortunately budget and holiday allowance are pretty much gone now! No more big trips for me until next year.

Which bits, please?

I'd have to go through each route and remember which bits they were, and compare it to the route i took on my tracker. There's not a lot overall - mainly some tweaks such as taking faster routes to go around towns i went through, and allowing more time to enjoy roads in particular areas (riding a loop) than through them on one route.
I'll have a sift through and upload my updated interpretations.

Nice one. As a Norn Ironer, this is one of my favourite trips. Hope you don’t mind if I make a few suggestions based upon my travels on this route:
Day 2: just past Ballylongford(pt 46) is Tarbet on the Shannon. Take the ferry across rather than go towards Limerick. Great views and relaxing
Day 5: have dinner at Kealy’s Seafood Restaurant in Greencastle then take the Greencastle to Magilligan ferry rather than ride from Moville(pt 15) to Londonderry and around the coast. I would also stay in Ballycastle especially on a Thursday night and spend the evening in listening to Irish music in O’Connors. Then you are at the foot of the Glens to ride the coast rode to Belfast. A must do.
Day 7: I would pass on this route South and prefer to take the fast ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan then ride down south via the Lakes, Wales

That's a fair trip in the given timeframes

Favourite parts along this route was the Ballaghbeama Gap & Ballagisheen Pass

A man after my own heart :thumb
There's a few similar roads in that general area, if you're heading back PM me & I'll put a couple of waypoints together for you. And then plan on a longer trip timewise...

Day 2: just past Ballylongford(pt 46) is Tarbet on the Shannon. Take the ferry across rather than go towards Limerick. Great views and relaxing
Day 5:take the Greencastle to Magilligan ferry rather than ride from Moville(pt 15) to Londonderry and around the coast.
I'd definitely factor both those in. They each save time & cut out some boring bits ;)

That looks like a fantastic trip. About 300 miles a day ? A few extra days just to have a low mileage day or even a lazy rest day would be the icing on the cake. Thank you for posting that up 👍

Back
Top Bottom