GPX - Northumberland 250

Wapping

Reaction score
Not quite Scotland, but Northumberland 250….

Recently purchased a book and official map of the route. The book only available while stock is available, and not to be reprinted.

https://northumberland250.com/

Following this heads-up from EVskij in another thread, I ordered a copy of the route and the map from the Northumberland tourist office. I then did my best to cut the route in MyRoute.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/6606723?mode=share

I think the route is near enough correct, coming out at 262 miles. I suggest that the 12 miles difference might be down to nothing more than the tourist office taking a little licence when it comes to naming it.

It is certainly not an area I know at all well, so I can't judge how good or bad it is. No doubt the route does miss some "Must do, mate...." roads but I don't think that is its purpose. Rather, I suspect it is designed to show-off the area's sites and views (they are not short of a castle or two) for tourists and take them down some sometimes quite small roads in doing so.

Anyway, it's a nicely produced map and accompanying book. Hopefully somebody will make use of it.

Some good bits of road but also too many tourist traps and bottlenecks on the map and some far better roads for bikes in the area

Some good bits of road but also too many tourist traps and bottlenecks on the map and some far better roads for bikes in the area

Share, please.

As I suggested, the circuit is probably not perfect and, no doubt, it includes popular tourist sites and locations. As the majority of users will be tourists and the route is carved out by the tourist board, that is not unlikely. It is the same when tourists come to see the sites in London, up to and including Madame Tussaud’s’ which they queue to get into.

Not really my stamping ground anymore but I get up to northumberland often enough still and have been on all the roads on that route at various times. I would say that is a perfectly good route to see the best of Northumberland. One tedious stretch to the south of Berwick on the A1 but otherwise mostly on smaller A/B roads to very minor white roads - the bit in Scotland especially so if it goes where I think it does.

At Allenheads you could head west to Alston to go and play on Hartside Pass (turn round at Melmerby and do it again) before heading to Lambley via the A689.

For those that don’t fancy Kielder Forest drive continue North West through the village and into Scotland. Turn right onto the B6357 and right again onto the A6088 to rejoin the route at Carter Bar.

Anyway, it's a nicely produced map and accompanying book. Hopefully somebody will make use of it.

I'll make use of it - thanks for this! Is there an easy way in MRA to change the number order of way points ( basically same route but starting from a different location on the route).

I'll make use of it - thanks for this! Is there an easy way in MRA to change the number order of way points ( basically same route but starting from a different location on the route).

Whilst the route is circular, I didn’t join the two ends together at Alnwick. MyRoute and modern Garmin devices are more than capable of running fully circular routes but (in nothing more than a hangover from years ago) I still create mine as incomplete circles. I chose to start the route in Alnwick by chance and nothing more.

You could enter the route from any point and just ride around it, unless that is you wanted to reverse the direction. Reversing is possible but you would need to be a Gold member to do that. Similarly, you could download the route and then manipulate it in just about any way you’d like.

You could also reorder the points manually within MyRoute, by dragging them up or down the column but this is a time consuming exercise.

I don’t know of any other way to reorder the points. But this might be down to nothing more than me being quite new to MyRoute. Someone might know how to do it successfully.

Not really my stamping ground anymore but I get up to northumberland often enough._

For those that don’t fancy Kielder Forest drive continue North West through the village and into Scotland. Turn right onto the B6357 and right again onto the A6088 to rejoin the route at Carter Bar.

Thank you.

Northumberland 250

If you use MyRoute’s very good ‘Street view’ function, you can see that the tourist office’s route takes some pretty good or at least interesting roads:

9f17b455e0431c7b3f62c69b2450654c.png

b40136ae93eae9096fb5d92d8cb375b2.png

d1bc85332cd2a9ec486dcca6e3789cc1.png

c16ecfe07e3a1adc1e1218c1be856f99.png

445be7b06a55a51b98f3c72a98b8fae4.png

dc26b430718b2ee7dde87c90a276aeb2.png

5720cc817be499ffe70b62db88bda8e2.png

c250e93369533d169ac884dd27e7b867.png

That being said, it is not advertised as a ‘Great bikers’ route or as a bible of the best roads to hoon along. I know from personal experience that some bods moan about some roads in the Ardennes that are bumpy, have a broken surface or (shock horror) sometimes have leaves and other debris on them, washed down in the autumn…… not at all suitable for a GS, apparently.

Of course, anything of around 250 miles will have some compromises in it. Of course (as it’s designed to show off the sites of Northumberland to visitors) it has to compromise at points along its way. Of course it is set out to cater for visitors (or even some locals) who don’t know the area too well and might be driving anything from a Ferrari to a Land Rover to a VW Up, to a FireBlade or a full on, fully pannier’d GSA with lights blazing and the rider standing on the pegs, to a bod sweating on a bicycle.

Use it or don’t, would be my advice. If, on the day you want to miss out the stretch of ‘dull’ highway (how long a stretch is it, really) then look at a map and do your own thing to miss it out. It really is that easy.

PS I drove my motorhome along miles of what is a very popular ‘bikers’ road in Scotland last week. Significant stretches were reduced to 50 mph but I guess you could just regard that signage as advisory. What I did see was lots of examples of bikers (often on fully loaded GS motorbikes, panniers, peaked helmets, noisy Akra, all the full usual kit) put in blatantly dangerous overtakes in a desperate effort to keep up with their mates in front. Some of them no doubt will be be the same ones that post: “They have banned bikes on some days, the cnuts …. It’s now heavily policed, as wankers have ruined it….. biker down, sad day, looks bad”.

250 miles on some of those roads is going to make for a very long day in the saddle - for an old geezer like me.

I was in that part of the world in early July, staying just outside Bamburgh (with it's stunning cricket pitch). It is a stunning part of the country with endless, deserted beaches.The dog loved it ...

Attachments

• 9FD1EC45-601B-4471-93C0-E9088E0E3B6C.jpg
    9FD1EC45-601B-4471-93C0-E9088E0E3B6C.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DF11BF77-B7D8-4DE7-A105-9936973201C3.jpg
    DF11BF77-B7D8-4DE7-A105-9936973201C3.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 248
I'm staying at Seahouses for a week at the moment. Lovely little town. The weather has been better than expected. Shame I'm in the car and not on the bike :(
We got to watch some of a cricket match at Bamburgh on Sunday, prior to a long beach walk. Fabulous area.

What about us plebs that arent using My Route, any chance of a GPS file option please .

Northumberland 250

What about us plebs that arent using My Route, any chance of a GPS file option please .

There’s a GPX file available here for a princely 50p
https://northumberland250.com/

Having spent 50p to find out, I can confirm it downloads really nicely, too.

Here it is in Pocket Earth:

b3f6ff583819a306321cba08671be23a.png

And in MyRoute:

d81c40a0ec9b0f372d6d07fe5aeccad1.png

By way of a bit of practice in using MyRoute (and as a bit of idle fun) I then decided to find out why the mileage between the GPX version I created from the map, differed from the mileage from the official download.

The good news is that I got most of it correct. The other bit of good news is that MyRoute Gold allows you to superimpose one route on top of another, then to zoom in to see where any significant differences might lie. My version is the black line, the tourist office’s official download version is displayed as a yellow line. Here they are:

e39e02858d8870827f91f1e26c327b22.png

e04f49c72160fb853ed7c5b33af0745a.png

f3c923fc83df995380fb4d648e692281.png

07e5fccd592e4b5cf0b89ba0f3c0b6f6.png

Back
Top Bottom