Via points (hands) not appearing on my XT

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have created you a fresh thread, to separate this question from your earlier question.

Richard

Well I tried creating a short route yesterday and following it. I put in about 8 viapoints (hands) and when I ran it on the XT they didn't come up on the screen so I am obviously missing something else here. Can I share my route creation method and see if anything jumps off the page at you? In the main, I am doing this on a web browser (Firefox on a Mac) but I've also tried on an iPad.

Creating the route in MRA has to be pretty foolproof, I must say. I use the HERE default map for most of what I do. Having created the route, including a 5 minute stop, I convert all the teardrops to hands and save it as gpx1.1 (track,POI). I then jump into Garmin explorer and import the file. When it syncs to my phone I then transfer to the XT. On the Zumo I select APPS/TRACKS. Select the saved Track and then the SPANNER followed by CONVERT TO TRIP. Press DONE and return and select TRIP PLANNER. I then select SAVED TRIPS, select the trip and press GO and then the appropriate flag and START.

Does this sound correct to you guys? I do accept that after many years of conditioning to Mapsource and Basecamp I am maybe struggling to throw off some of my old habits and expectations.

I'm also new to the MRA/XT combo, but I use the same sequence as you up to Apps, then I click Trip Planner, saved trips, then pick my imported trip and press Go.

I'm also new to the MRA/XT combo, but I use the same sequence as you up to Apps, then I click Trip Planner, saved trips, then pick my imported trip and press Go.

Are you importing a trip? I am importing a track that I then convert to a trip.

Seeing Waypoints on the XT screen

Well I tried creating a short route yesterday and following it. I put in about 8 viapoints (hands) and when I ran it on the XT they didn't come up on the screen so I am obviously missing something else here. Can I share my route creation method and see if anything jumps off the page at you? In the main, I am doing this on a web browser (Firefox on a Mac) but I've also tried on an iPad.

Creating the route in MRA has to be pretty foolproof, I must say. I use the HERE default map for most of what I do. Having created the route, including a 5 minute stop, I convert all the teardrops to hands and save it as gpx1.1 (track,POI). I then jump into Garmin explorer and import the file. When it syncs to my phone I then transfer to the XT. On the Zumo I select APPS/TRACKS. Select the saved Track and then the SPANNER followed by CONVERT TO TRIP. Press DONE and return and select TRIP PLANNER. I then select SAVED TRIPS, select the trip and press GO and then the appropriate flag and START.

Does this sound correct to you guys? I do accept that after many years of conditioning to Mapsource and Basecamp I am maybe struggling to throw off some of my old habits and expectations.

Andy B,

Converting a track into a route will not bring any points of any sort with it. All it brings in is potentially thousands of invisible breadcrumbs, which mark the track’s direction.

Version 1.1 is not the latest transfer version. Not least, it does not bring the route across.

To hopefully help you, here is a test route I have created for you, on my iPad in MyRoute:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/6622984?mode=share

332d09716f7b51c7815b507f195014aa.png

It is 28.16 miles long. In all it has 13 points, of which every other one is a viapoint hand (a point that will appear on an XT) whilst all the others are simple teardrop shaping points, which won’t appear.

As a test, I changed the colour of viapoint 3 and gave it a five hour stopover. This accounts for why the time duration is five hours 45 minutes.

I then saved it as .gpx 1.2 (route, track, POI) which is the latest export version and is specifically designed to export to Garmin devices. I then exported it into the Garmin Drive app on my iPhone. From there I sent it to my XT.

The route and the separate track loaded straight in, the route going straight into Trip Planner.

The route:

A. Is the correct distance.

B. Is the correct shape.

C. Has each of the five viapoints (displayed as orange flags).

D. Does not have the stopover time, so it shows a journey time of a not unrealistic 48 minutes.

510e0701d746ecb7d9c08cb00658db1b.jpg

6561ed6da86eee3231980242ed68f0f4.jpg

7d23e6fa388958df52bdd92fe994b71c.jpg

d7ced64aacd363c65b5203516d8206c8.jpg

Use the route in the link above and follow these steps exactly, please. You should see the same result. Let us know how you get on.

PS Even though it won’t bring any via or shaping points across with it, it is sometimes a good idea to bring the track across, too. Why? Not least, as MyRoute recommends it. But….. Nine times out of ten, a track will convert into a route faithfully, from within the device itself. The one time out of ten when it might not is when the track takes a direction that the device cannot replicate. This problem with replication can be down to a number of factors. For example, let’s say that the track was produced some months or even years ago and the roads change, meaning that what was once a two way street is now one way. Garmin will do its very best not to route a rider the wrong way down a one way street, therefore it might struggle to make a conversion. Similarly, I see tracks (often from German touring magazines) where the creator of the track takes a small road which is not any Garmin map; again the conversion is often flawed or not possible.

Another reason why you might want to do it, is because you can superimpose a track on top of a route and display both together on the device’s screen. This can be helpful if you go off route, with or without recalculation turned on. But now we are getting into the pro’s and cons of recalculation, a subject of endless debate.

Pretty much what Wapping said earlier to be honest, but it does seem like you are making a bit of a meal of it.

Make the route in MRA on your laptop/desktop. Use via/shaping points as you see fit.
Open it on your phone and Save as GPX 1.2 (I don't think 1.1 has the shaping/via distinction, but may be wrong).
It should then give you the option to save it to Garmin Drive - and will open up Garmin Drive.
Tell Drive to send the route to the XT wirelessly.
It will then send both a route and a track.

Go to Trip Planner on the XT. Select Saved Trips. Select your route. It will then ask for next destination - select the Via point you want to go to.

Done.

Adm1 - cracked it! Yes - using your method works just fine. I think washing the track/route through Garmin Explorer seems to change some settings, and apart from anything else. Your method is quicker/less complicated. The method I had been having problems with came from a YouTube video - not to be trusted!!

Thanks everyone for your collective help.

Adm1 - cracked it! Yes - using your method works just fine. I think washing the track/route through Garmin Explorer seems to change some settings, and apart from anything else. Your method is quicker/less complicated. The method I had been having problems with came from a YouTube video - not to be trusted!!

Thanks everyone for your collective help.

:) I am pleased to have been of some help!

Back
Top Bottom