Adventuredon’s troubles with MyRoute and BaseCamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have started you a fresh thread, so as to keep the original plug for discounted My Route Navigation app subscriptions on track.

Richard

ok so i sign up to their route calculation website and then run the routes on my garmin device easily? I don't want to rely on my phone and make my expensive (to me) garmin device and my awesomeness at basecamp skills redundant just yet...

Yes, the routes are easily transferred from MyRoute into any suitable Garmin or TomTom device.

I've been pro active and registered a free account. Planned a route and edited it, and even saved it tonight for the trip up to Kington next week. I'll transfer and ride it. Ill then know how it lives up...cheers Richard

Always check, on the device, any route you create in MyRoute (or indeed any software) before you leave home.

will do that usually, but this route wont be critical, as long as I get there before 8pm kickoff of prem rugby lol I'll be happy. And if i need to doublecheck it, it voids my use of it...

OK, update. I have registered for the free version only.
Planned and saved a route. Edited it MRA.
Installed the plugin and exported route to my zumo.
In basecamp it shows the imported route but only as the crow flies. You cannot edit or move or do anything to the route at this point.
However, disconnect device from basecamp, import new route, reconnect to BC and the route is pretty much as created in MRA. Then you could move the route from device to BC. But that just makes everything laborious..

All good so far...but it strips all the waypoints/shaping points so you end up with a route that is what you created but only has a start and end point.
You can then obviously insert additional waypoints / shaping points as wanted but that detracts from the whole point
Anyhow, so I ran the route today and even though I started from my home address and selected my home address as the first point to go to, it kept trying to route back home, clearly I should have followed my usual and selected start point a bit away from my actual point. Anyhow, when you the select "skip" it does exactly that but recalculates according to your devices settings (as you'd want). Then your route is actually not followed so for me there is no real point in using MRA. I'm good enough at base camp to carry on with that. Yes it has wicked search ability, but unless I am missing features in a paid for version, I am not going to take the plunge.

Welcome to the world of mixing different softwares.

MyRoute is designed to work completely independently of BaseCamp and now, more particularly, to link seamlessly - with the help of the Garmin Drive app - with modern Garmin GPS devices (like the XT) without the need to go through BaseCamp at all.

The straight lines you are seeing is the result of BaseCamp not having enough data (breadcrumbs) to fill in the gaps between the known shaping or via points.

When you disconnect the device from your PC and then import the route from the device’s memory into the device proper, the device fills in the gaps. When you then reconnect the device to your PC, BaseCamp can then import the fully ‘filled in’ route.

Your second problem was, as I read it, down to nothing more than user error. You asked the device to take you (or start you from) your home address. You were at home but I guess the device thought you were somewhere else, which can happen. It therefore kept on trying to do what it had been told to do….. which was to take you home.

My simple suggestions would be:

Get used to using MyRoute, independently of BaseCamp; they do not need each other.

Learn how to create via / waypoints (as distinct from shaping points) in MyRoute and how to send them successfully to your Garmin device. There is a thread on the topic at the moment.

Maybe refresh your knowledge of how your GPS device works, most of which you are pretty good at. In particular, starting routes. Maybe create a via / waypoint say a mile or so from your start point. On first start up, that point will appear as a possible destination for you to chose. Chose it. No matter where you start from, your device will always take you to that point and then run the rest of the route seamlessly. You’ll only be (potentially) buggered if there is road closure at the point, rendering it inaccessible….. but that is not Garmin’s fault.

all good points, but AFAIR the MRA had loads of shaping points prior to import. All good. But when sent to device all shaping etc points were stripped, so skipping a nearby, or home, waypoint then allows my garmin device to recalculate as it is suppose to. Tick.
The fact that the shown shaping points in MRA are stripped when imported means I have to at some point edit my route and insert shaping points, to ensure that if I skip a simple point, the route just recalculates to the next point. With MRA it does as it is instructed because it only has a start and end point, so Garmin wins, as it should. But if I have to edit and add points then why bother. I am happy enough with basecamp. No need to reply..

Hi Don,

I am not clear why the route you created in MyRoute only has a start and end point, when displayed on your navigation device.

Hopefully this post and subsequent thread will help you to insert as many via points (hands) - ie points you must go through - as a bog standard Garmin device will allow, irrespective of where or how the route was created. That number is around 28 or something like that. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/587475-Via-points-(hands)-not-appearing-on-my-XT 28 might not sound a lot but on a route of 280 miles (ie a pretty good day out on a motorbike down the B roads of the UK or the D roads of France) that is one every 10 miles. In between these you can have lots of shaping points (the teardrops) right up to the number that a Garmin device will allow. I forget that number but I think it is a couple of hundred or more.

MyRoute has a very good help page / forum, where lots of questions and requests for help are answered really well and very quickly. I have used it myself to ask questions, particularly when I first started using MyRoute, give it a go.

There again, if you are happy staying with BaseCamp (which really is very good) I can well understand.

:beerjug:

PS Just a thought. Whilst shaping points appear on a Garmin device (on mine they appear as little blue dots) but don’t appear when the route is created in MyRoute, I do wonder if they are actually there but just rendered invisible? That is a question for the MyRoute forum, perhsos?

If you have Garmin XT you might find this video handy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hbRh2mHdmeM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to roughly 24:40 to see the MyRoute owner sending shaping and via points within a route to his XT.

I have a 590, so might differ. The fact that I had to connect, transfer, disconnect, import, connect to check makes it laborious. I also like to sit on my desktop and plan as its easier to research and add in points quickly, recalculation is fast etc. I am going to stick to basecamp for now. Too many other pieces of software to learn and plan on at the mo (school). I am quite happy with BC and have enough time invested in it to do what I need to. Thanks anyway

Good stuff :thumb2

BaseCamp (when it’s not running on my Mac) remains a very powerful software package, easy to use and fully compatible with a huge range of Garmin devices.

Case closed.

:beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom