Touring tips

she's nesh for a northerner and won't be riding to Portugal in winter!

That sums it up though I did persuade her to ride to a winter rally in Denmark and she made it without any temper tantrums :D

She’s also been known to ask if I’ll put things in my panniers or strap them on my seat when she had no more room. This is because she insists on taking 2 pairs of knickers for each day because you can’t ride all day, have a shower and then put the same knickers on. Clean ones after a shower then use the next day? No that’s using the same pair on two days :blast

Pack the panniers with as much stuff as you like, but leave the top box empty for all the crap you accumulate on tour.

Also all valuables live in the tank bag and that never leaves my side. If my bike isn’t there when I get back too it I can use the contents of the tank bag to get home. Phone, wallet, keys, insurance docs (printed out just in case)

Load the bike up a week before and ride a regular route, so you know how it handles before taking unfamiliar roads

Check tyres, brakes, bearings and all moving parts have a long enough left in them for the trip + a bit more. Do this a few weeks before the trip so you have time to get parts in if needed.

Only carry tools for jobs you’re prepared and know how to do at the side of the road in the dark.

Load the bike up a week before and ride a regular route, so you know how it handles before taking unfamiliar roads

Should we be riding this exploratory journey on the left or should we be adopting the Continental, right side of the road?

Can we rename this section "The old women of touring bollocks"

Truly full of shit...Just get on your bike and ride the fucking thing...Most places you get to will be better than the UK, have more resources and be easier to navigate, all you need is a tongue in your head and the ability to use it...FFS, it ain`t rocket science is it?

If you cannot work out how to dress yourself, then perhaps the world is not for you?

My tip....Just get on with it and do what suits you, just avoid getting arrested wherever you may be...Life is so much easier without that shit.

Truly full of shit...Just get on your bike and ride the fucking thing...Most places you get to will be better than the UK, have more resources and be easier to navigate, all you need is a tongue in your head and the ability to use it...FFS, it ain`t rocket science is it?

If you cannot work out how to dress yourself, then perhaps the world is not for you?

My tip....Just get on with it and do what suits you, just avoid getting arrested wherever you may be...Life is so much easier without that shit.

If you think this is bad, have a read of the “Disgusting treatment “ thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Does it remind you of some of the posts you’ve made about Portugal :nenau :comfort

Tolls & Card Holder

Just back from a two week trip to Corsica and Sardinia. Prior to going I did lots of reading on here as to what would be the best way to pay for tolls. Looked at the various toll Tags and then decided I would just use a card. Last trip the card was a pain in the butt as mentioned having to remove gloves etc.
So this year I got a disc lock cord - ID card holder and fixed this to the inside of the tank bag this takes care of not dropping your card.
We used Monzo pre loaded so arrive at Toll open side of tank bag get toll tick out followed by card pay and off you go. Really worked well, at times we were through quicker than cars....

Attachments

• 20221011_122148.jpg
    20221011_122148.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 240
Just back from a two week trip to Corsica and Sardinia. Prior to going I did lots of reading on here as to what would be the best way to pay for tolls. Looked at the various toll Tags and then decided I would just use a card. Last trip the card was a pain in the butt as mentioned having to remove gloves etc.
So this year I got a disc lock cord - ID card holder and fixed this to the inside of the tank bag this takes care of not dropping your card.
We used Monzo pre loaded so arrive at Toll open side of tank bag get toll tick out followed by card pay and off you go. Really worked well, at times we were through quicker than cars....
Or use one of the self retracting cords often issues with the ID card holder.

Or if you wear a Klim jacket stick your card in the zip pocket on the jacket sleeve and use contactless, worked a treat on the few toll roads used in France & Spain in September.

Or use an Apple Watch or a phone’s wallet function. As many bods use a phone to navigate by exclusively, it’ll be right there in from of them, in easy reach.

Or use an Apple Watch or a phone’s wallet function. As many bods use a phone to navigate by exclusively, it’ll be right there in from of them, in easy reach.

Apple Watch, great if your right handed with Watch on the left wrist, also good for paying for petrol as well, didn’t need to use the physical card at all, for fuel. Phone? probably means unplugging it from power, needed if using as a SatNav. Mines safely tucked away in a pocket or charging somewhere on the bike.

I’m just beginning to realise just how useful the wife on pillion is on a tour. Washes stuff and pays tolls - taking her gloves off in advance, pulling out a credit card and paying. It’s quicker than cars. I’m sure there’s other uses too.

I’m surprised Touratech don’t have them in their brochure.

Reactions: FD2
I’m just beginning to realise just how useful the wife on pillion is on a tour. Washes stuff and pays tolls - taking her gloves off in advance, pulling out a credit card and paying. It’s quicker than cars. I’m sure there’s other uses too.

I’m surprised Touratech don’t have them in their brochure.

This and goes to the bar for drinks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom