Touring tips

I’m just beginning to realise just how useful the wife on pillion is on a tour. Washes stuff and pays tolls - taking her gloves off in advance, pulling out a credit card and paying. It’s quicker than cars. I’m sure there’s other uses too.

I’m surprised Touratech don’t have them in their brochure.

And (if you are in a big group), gets off goes and checks in to the hotel and has room key and a cold beer ready by the time you secure the bike and lug all your kit into the hotel. While brilliant, it pisses me off no end as my wife won't come on the bike... so my remedy is just to dump the gear in the hotel lobby and go straight to the bar until everyone else has checked in.

If using Eurotunnel, do not infringe the hatched area when waiting to clear customs :)

When on the train always park with your sidestand to the front of the train.
I know that's just common sense but the train people want you to have the sidestand towards the rear of the train (I always have an argument with them about that). I've saved a few bikes from toppling over when the train braked a bit firmly.

When on the train always park with your sidestand to the front of the train.
I know that's just common sense but the train people want you to have the sidestand towards the rear of the train (I always have an argument with them about that). I've saved a few bikes from toppling over when the train braked a bit firmly.

I'm not sure I understand this? I've used the train many times & park at an angle with the stand towards the rear of the train, as requested by the train staff. Sure the bike wobbles slightly from time to time but I just stand next the bike & keep one hand on the handlebar. It's never felt remotely that it's about to tip over.

I'm not sure I understand this? I've used the train many times & park at an angle with the stand towards the rear of the train, as requested by the train staff. Sure the bike wobbles slightly from time to time but I just stand next the bike & keep one hand on the handlebar. It's never felt remotely that it's about to tip over.

If you park at an angle with the sidestand to the front of the train it won't wobble or fall over.
A Spanish guy parked the way he was told and I had to save it after the train braked hard.

Sidestand toward the front of the train is the safer option.

If you park at an angle with the sidestand to the front of the train it won't wobble or fall over.
A Spanish guy parked the way he was told and I had to save it after the train braked hard.

Sidestand toward the front of the train is the safer option.
I've never understood the logic of how they want to park the bikes. I just do as I'm told

I've never understood the logic of how they want to park the bikes. I just do as I'm told

I'm not as good as you at doing what I'm told.
I go on the side of common sense and safety.
Plus, I'm probably still a rebel without a cause (other than my own)!

If travelling by ferry, never, ever, use your mainstand.

The vibes from the ferries' diesel engines go straight through the steel floors of the ship and can cause damage, where-as the rubber tyres make proper contact with the floor when using the sidestand.

You can download google maps areas for routes that have weak or no signal prior to leaving or stop at a Macdonald's type place as they have free wifi. They remain valid for 30 days before needing to be updated (still work after 30 days but considered out of date). Open google maps on your phone, click on your profile icon and then click on 'offline maps' and then 'Select your own map'. You then move the map around and zoom in/out to select the area to download.....you can do multiple areas.

Also you can download languages to google translate to help you during your travels. You don't have to worry about data costs then. As above open google translate, click on your profile icon and hit 'downloaded languages' and select the language you wish to download. Again you can have multiple languages. If you have data when abroad SOME languages allows you the ability to use the camera function within google translate that will translate in realtime text on a sign or on paper (so point it at a sign and it will translate to English for you). However this doesn't work with all languages and requires data!

Most modern phones now have dual sim card slots so you can use your uk sim for calls and texts only and then buy a local sim to use for data without worrying about huge data costs so that you can take advantage of the real time traffic information and routing google maps can gives you.

If travelling by ferry, never, ever, use your mainstand.

The vibes from the ferries' diesel engines go straight through the steel floors of the ship and can cause damage, where-as the rubber tyres make proper contact with the floor when using the sidestand.

Never had a problem

Always used the centre stand on ferries for 30 years

Sounds like an urban myth

Back
Top Bottom