Weeping oil from the rear ABS sensor.

Dave T

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just had the crown bearing replaced in my final drive as there was play and a big oil leak, however following a 270 mile ride yesterday, although that issue appears resolved, there now appears to be oil weeping very slightly from where the rear ABS sensor fits in the FD. I presume that the sensor will have been removed from the FD in order for the bearing repair to be completed, but when it was returned to its place in the FD I wonder if there's a gasket or something that now needs replacing, hence the weeping oil. The ABS appears to function as intended (or at least the lights on the dash do what they should).
Is there a gasket-y type thing between the sensor and the FD housing? Should I just try and nip it up, or is there a 'depth setting' that I'll screw up....I can't find an exploded diagram online that I trust... My Clymer manual is at my wife's uncle's house, and they're in Spain for the next 3 weeks....
Help!!!
Cheers,
Dave.

Here you go…..Item 10. I seem to recall that there are 2 needed one for each side of the casing.

Attachments

• C1F992BB-B4C8-4894-AF25-1F6DE3A44071.jpeg
    C1F992BB-B4C8-4894-AF25-1F6DE3A44071.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 4665B2E7-B516-4037-BFE1-B179D83F852B.jpg
    4665B2E7-B516-4037-BFE1-B179D83F852B.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 80
Thanks Ian, it appears to be weeping from where '2' fits into the FD. I'm going to try and nip it up, but I suspect '10' is not sealing.... which looks like opening up the FD again to rectify... Interestingly, the diagram only shows a single '10', not one either side of the housing (although that makes sense to my mind).

Thanks Ian, it appears to be weeping from where '2' fits into the FD. I'm going to try and nip it up, but I suspect '10' is not sealing.... which looks like opening up the FD again to rectify... Interestingly, the diagram only shows a single '10', not one either side of the housing (although that makes sense to my mind).

You don’t need to open the housing to replace the ABS O rings. Once the sensor is removed, you will see the o ring sat in it’s groove.

Back
Top Bottom