Can't Get the Nav to Follow a Route

Watty100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm having this problem with both a Nav V and a Zumo 390.

I download a route, from Ride magazine for example, or create one myself in Basecamp.

In Basecamp it looks good, route is as planned, so I send it to the device.

Open it in the device's Tracks app, look at it on the map and again it follows the desired route.

Send it to Trip Planner, where again it looks good when clicking on the map.

Hit "Go!" and this is where it all goes wrong- it gives the options of select next destination, Begin or End. Whichever one I choose, the device then ignores the desired route and calculates a direct route to whichever of those 2 points of chosen.

This happens whether I'm off the route and travelling to a point to join it, or actually on the route.

I've tried changing settings such as the avoidances etc, to no avail.

Both devices work perfectly well when navigating to an address or finding coffee stops or fuel etc, I'm just finding this failure to follow a set route a bit frustrating and having Googled, Youtubed and perused this forum, can't find a solution, Any thoughts, anyone? TIA.

I think I had similar type thing but it was a few weeks ago….. forgive vague rambling possible answer in absence of any other suggestions.

First thing I would check is that map being used in Basecamp is same as map on device and not the “Global Map”

Then I think I changed Basecamp to use Car instead of Motorcycle and save the route again.

I remember something where the device (NAV 5 in my case) asked if I wanted to “switch modes” and it went off recalculating and was taking forever until I cancelled that. Then when I was away on the trip whenever device asked if I wanted to “switch modes” I declined.

After all this I did manage to download a gpx from ABR, get it onto the device and then manipulate finish to be a hotel.

So just a couple of thoughts. The track is just like a line on a map, so will be correct, so you could just follow the track, but there would be no voice instructions. When you make a track a route or trip, you are asking the device to try an follow the track by calculating a route, taking into account all the criteria you have set up and also any information the device gets from say traffic etc.

If the trip shown on the map has shaping points and waypoints, when you select go, the device should ask you which point you want to join the route/track, so if you selected end, it will not follow the track but just calculate a best route to the finish point ignoring your track. If you put start, then it should calculate a route to the start, it is better to have the start away from your actual start point, so place the start a mile or so from where your starting and allow the device to get you to the start. Garmin also does not like circular routes or routes that cross each other, like a figure of 8. You can display a track and also a route, so you can see where the route calculated deviates from your track.

Without seeing the track and route, I can't really tell you what is happening :)

The easy fix is/should be tell the Nav not to automatically recalculate a route. It should then follow the path as planned originally, and does not take into consideration any avoidances (it'll tell you if the route breaches what you've set eg. no motorways, and ask if you want to re-calculate)

The easy fix is/should be tell the Nav not to automatically recalculate a route. It should then follow the path as planned originally, and does not take into consideration any avoidances (it'll tell you if the route breaches what you've set eg. no motorways, and ask if you want to re-calculate)

Not necessarily, it will depend on the algorithm of the sat nav, or if the maps where you calculated the track is the same as the sat nav. When Ride etc make a "route" they provide a track, as I said a track is like a line on a map, that will not change. But once you upload to your sat nav and make it a route/trip, your sat nav will attempt to make the track into a route, using its own maps and its own routing algorithm, hence if you give a route to 3 people using different garmins, ie, Nav V or an XT or whatever, then the route calculated for the same track when loaded can often be different for each nav. That is why it is a good idea to display a track (using themes) and have your route showing over the track, so if there are differences you can see and get yourself back onto the track.

The .gpx routes from ride magazine come in as tracks. To get them to work on your garmin devices import them into basecamp. Open the track and you will see that it is Grey (default track colour) and there will be no tab for route directions. To convert the track into a route :-

1. Select the track and right click on it and from the drop down menu select. "Create route from selected track". Choose the "direct" calculation method first as I've sumtimes had funny results from choosing the motorcycle calculation method without putting in this step. It will ask you for the number of via points to use in the conversion. I usually choose 1 per mile.

2. Once you have done this, open the newly created route (Default purple) and recalculate using the motorcycling profile from the properties screen. The route directions will appear in the second tab of the route.

3. Finally scan along the newly created route to see if it deviates from the original track which will appear as a faint grey line if there is a deviation. Either you will be ok with this or you can pull a shaping point into place on the route to fully replicate the track.

Hope this makes sense. Its easy and quick if you are used to doing it!

I remembered why I use the two step method above. If you recalculate the track using the motorcycling profile it leaves you with a start waypoint and an end waypoint and directions. These will be fine if you don't go off route. If you do the device will recalculate you on the most direct route to the last point. Using the two step method leaves you with a load of shaping points and waypoints (if there were any in the original track) using the motorcycling or driving profile does not do this. To be sure if there are places you want to stop or see add them to the converted route as waypoints.

Not necessarily, it will depend on the algorithm of the sat nav, or if the maps where you calculated the track is the same as the sat nav. When Ride etc make a "route" they provide a track, as I said a track is like a line on a map, that will not change. But once you upload to your sat nav and make it a route/trip, your sat nav will attempt to make the track into a route, using its own maps and its own routing algorithm, hence if you give a route to 3 people using different garmins, ie, Nav V or an XT or whatever, then the route calculated for the same track when loaded can often be different for each nav. That is why it is a good idea to display a track (using themes) and have your route showing over the track, so if there are differences you can see and get yourself back onto the track.

Doesn't have that issue on my XT. If i create a track in MRA, transfer to XT and convert to a route it now follows it. Before with auto recalculation on it would always change points according to its own brain.

I might have been lucky with my routes so far, but i've experienced no issues thus far.

I remembered why I use the two step method above. If you recalculate the track using the motorcycling profile it leaves you with a start waypoint and an end waypoint and directions. These will be fine if you don't go off route. If you do the device will recalculate you on the most direct route to the last point. Using the two step method leaves you with a load of shaping points and waypoints (if there were any in the original track) using the motorcycling or driving profile does not do this. To be sure if there are places you want to stop or see add them to the converted route as waypoints.

This is how i ended up solving my similar problem.

"Most direct route to last point"
this always happened, and boy was it annoying!! lol

In my case i was going from MRA and Basecamp with the same issue.
shaping points and waypoints are a saviour, add them on any roads you like the look of and remember to zoom in and make sure they are on the road (correct side too) otherwise you get strange requests to go into fields and back out, or suchlike weirdness lol

Doesn't have that issue on my XT. If i create a track in MRA, transfer to XT and convert to a route it now follows it. Before with auto recalculation on it would always change points according to its own brain.

I might have been lucky with my routes so far, but i've experienced no issues thus far.

I've got an XT :)

Thanks everyone so far, I'll be having another play later in the week and post the results.

I did have a friendly hotelier install a route a few years ago on the 390, worked a treat. I recall the voice directions occasionally saying something like "You have reached your destination. Turn left and continue on route" several times, but i followed the route no problem.

After that I tried using a downloaded route and was constantly asked "Choose next destination" as each waypoint/viapoint/shaping point was displayed on the screen in order. If I chose one near the end of the route, it simply calculated the most direct way to get there.

Since then, I've had the problem as set out above. No doubt user error on my part, as I say, I'll try the advice above and see what happens. May the Great God of Electro Wizardry smile upon me!

Back
Top Bottom