Denali lights problem

Yugsy1

Reaction score
Hi
I have fitted 4x D4’s & tried both a dialldim control and a cansmart control.

When any power setting below 30% is set the lights flicker/pulse.

Anyone else had similar problems??

I have had both controls replaced under warranty & a light unit but they still do the flicker.

Is it that 30% is the lowest setting they can be run at??

Any thoughts from anybody welcome
Tim

Dont they need to be run on 3 wire to prevent pulsing / flickering ...

I'm sure my Hexezcan ( same unit different case) mentioned something about this ... i'll have to see if i can find my structions

Yes they do. I have run them on 3 wires but still flicker unfortunately��
I had to wire two D4’s on a splitter cable to stop the flicker.
Even tried using ballast resistors as per led indictors but jo difference����

Incidentally I rum a B6 brake light at 10% without flickering

OK lets dig deeper

What bike / model year and month of manufacture ?

What "CAN" controller are you using Hexezcan or Denali / what version 1/2 ?

What lights and how wired 2 wire / 3 wire ?

How are the lights connected ? both on one circuit or individual circuits ?

what other accessories are wired into the CAN unit and how are they connected ?

Ok. A bit long this:
R1200gsa 2012
Dialldim universal
Cansmart v.2 latest update
D4 pods wired with 3wires

Started with diall dim and four D4’s-one on each output.
Had flickering @ low power settings.

The unit fried itself on a trip and randomly illuminated the lamps when bike was off and key in my pocket.
Unit was replaced under warranty.
New unit still had flicker/pulsing.

Upgraded to Denali cansmart latest software.

Wanted to wire up one D4 per output but they flicker when set less than 30%
Had to put two pods on a splitter cable to an output to stop the flicker.

Even tried ballast resistors to see if the would help-they didn't.

To stop a flicker I now run a LH pair on output one, a RH pair on output two & a B6 brake light on output three.

Incidentally the B6 light has never flickered and is set to 10% running power.

This is driving me potty.

Both units are away at R&G Racing at the moment - they are the UK agents for Denali..
I am now wondering if everybody gets a flicker at low power settings and set their units at 30% and just live with it???

To have spent close on a grand for these lights for them not to work correctly is a bit much. But I have to say the illumination power is fantastic and they do look quality.

Just need to get this flicker/pulsing sorted

So... I have D4's on my 2018 GS, with the Denali V2 controller, and they don't flicker at any setting

I have S4's on my Guzzi V85TT, with a Skene controller, and they CAN flicker at some settings (I can't remember whether that's 20 or 30%). But that's a 2-wire https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk...intelligent-lighting-controller-smart-dimmer/

Is yours a TC? being a 2012 GSA? I thought the 2.0 was only for LC's?

Stupid question maybe, but although they are wired with three wires, is the cansmart software actually set to three wire dimming?

I have a pair of D4s and they dim from 0 to 100% with no flickering at all.

Why not raise a case with Denali, their tech support is really good, have had a few emails regarding my cansmart issues I was having with the aux socket setup. I am pretty sure I have read about the same issue you are having in a previous thread on another forum, but can't remember the outcome.

My bike is one of the last of the oil heads..
The can smart is an EZ1
I have tried all the settings in the online control inc modulation.

It does not explain why the dialldim unit flickers which is 3 wire set up.

Both units are away with tech support now being tested.
I will let you all know the outcome.

Just to let everyone kniw the problem has been resolved.
It turns out it was the extension leads supplied int the Denali box..if plugged into the cansmart short tails then the do nit flicker/flash.

Light flicker

Just to let everyone kniw the problem has been resolved.
It turns out it was the extension leads supplied int the Denali box..if plugged into the cansmart short tails then the do nit flicker/flash.

I have the same problem. Sometimes flicker and sometimes on as they should. I have the Denali d4s with the extension leads which obviously you need to reach the excan underneath seat area .how did you sort this problem. Thanks

I have the same problem. Sometimes flicker and sometimes on as they should. I have the Denali d4s with the extension leads which obviously you need to reach the excan underneath seat area .how did you sort this problem. Thanks

Hi
It was the four extension leads supplied in the box with the cansmart controller.
If connected direct to the short tails out of the cansmart then it stops flashing.

This shows the flash ( if the link works).
https://youtu.be/-aqvYnnUG18

This shows the slight pulse at lower settings due to the PWM.
https://youtu.be/2QDbxv3anHw

Did you replace for the same extension cables obviously you need them to reach the hex can under seat area or did you use Denali ones

Did you replace for the same extension cables obviously you need them to reach the hex can under seat area or did you use Denali ones

Hi
This went on for almost eight months with both R&G and the USA getting involved.

I went through a total of three brand new sets of diall dim controls and extensions before finding the fault. All extensions caused the same fault.
I surmised the internal resistance in the leads was enough to affect the signal of the PWM.

NowI have repositioned all the wiring and control unit around the headstock so that the D4 lights can plug direct into the control tails.
So far they have worked fine.

Try setting your kit up on a bench running direct from a 12v battery. Leave them on until the flicker starts then unplug the light unit from the extension and connect to the short tails direct an see if it stops flashing.
This video is to show you three lights wired directly and one through the extension.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2Bt27zDeRsQ?feature=share

This is all four wired directly

https://youtube.com/shorts/XknaSJOEjgc?feature=share

Hope it helps👍🏻

Thanks for all the information
Maybe I should move my hex can near the front somewhere.as I would need to have access to update the software when needed..I’m just waiting for a little unit to be returned under warranty as Denali say it’s the chip in the light unit .but I will try both ways to see if I still get a flicker .

Check out YouTube "A Bike Thing" (without the quotes).
His videos might give you an idea as where to position the controller.

tom

Check out YouTube "A Bike Thing" (without the quotes).
His videos might give you an idea as where to position the controller.

tom

Yes. A good set of videos but spoke to him during the issue and he was at a loss as to what it was.

The tech expert at Denali in the USA had no idea what was causing it!

I found it by accident.

I have resolved my light flicker.apparently if the modulation toggle is on the lights will flicker in day time hence turn off

I have resolved my light flicker.apparently if the modulation toggle is on the lights will flicker in day time hence turn off

The modulation switch was off from the start. It made it worse when on.
This had the top tech guy in the U.S. baffled.

Just as a side point this video is the original fault I had with my Dial Dim.

https://youtube.com/shorts/dbH1JB-gR5k?feature=share

Glad you are sorted.
These lights are awsome when working 👍🏻👍🏻

My D4s have started flickering from today, they've been perfect up to now, Denali CanSmart version 1 R1200 GSA 2018 daylight set to 30%. They now flicker unless in 100%
I don't know what the "Modulation Toggle" is.

Back
Top Bottom