Heated clothing. Any recommendations?

Mart, I have a Keis heated waistcoat and insoles same as Wessie. You are welcome to try it out if you like and see if you like it before committing to a purchase.

I have hardly used the waistcoat to be honest as layered clothing plus a little natural blubber and a warm personality do the trick. When I have used it in the bitter cold on longer rides it has been impressively warm.

I highly recommend the heated boot insoles they are an absolute game changer. A bit like having heated grips (or not), once your toes get cold it detracts from your concentration whereas the warm cosy feeling of warm feet even with a chilly blast going over your boots is blissful.

All of them benefit from an inline controller, they get bloody hot.

If still riding a GS/GSA (or a scooter) having some “Tucana Urbano” or “Shad” muffs and a Gaucho (shytebag) also makes a massive difference in winter riding.

If you do get yourself a heated clothing system, which ever brand, may I suggest using a fly lead to the battery.

I spent some very uncomfortable journeys where the plug kept coming loose from the accessory socket, so I had to stop, plug it back in and then press the button on the controller etc. Very tedious. Since then, I've put fly leads on 2 bikes and then haven't used the heated waistcoat. :blast

My wife, daughter and I all have Keiss gear.

I’ve owned mine for 5 years or more, still performs flawlessly.

I started with Gerbing , but suffered repeated heat controller failures ; it had a knob and dangled exposed to the winter elements . The material was Nylon or polyester or some thing similar
Then I moved over to Keis heated jacket ,which was fabric and almost a fleece and heated throughout and up in the collar . ( I think my Gerbing was also , but I forget ).
The Keis controller is a pad , so perhaps more protected to the elements ( but probably Gerbing is similar now don’t know ) . My Keis controller lead keeps it out of the elements , but makes access awkward . Newer versions have the controller dangling and accessible .
After watching Rich Vida in Orkney , I now have the £200 ish , Keis heated gloves , with the illuminated led heat setting button on the back , and they’re bloody lovely and toasty !!! It’s just as good as having your hands in muffs . Does anyone still use muffs ? Muffs were fab , before I had heated Keis gloves .
Recently my 4 yr old Keis jacket failed to heat one glove and a broken wire within the sleeve was very easy to indeed fix . Flexing of the arms , undoubtedly the cause.
Oh and low heat settings are very adequate .

Right,
winter roadtrip comming up

My current kit is a hotchpotch of bits by a

company callled ginali if i recall

The gloves are to big, and the heated socks

Appear to work, but have no controller other than

An on off switch

Might be time to change to some newer gear

Any recommendations?

Dont want to spend the earth, btw

Gialli was the long-defunct brand.

I recommend sticking to one brand.

I dislike intensely the idea of having to adjust the heat in each glove separately through a button on the upper part of the cuff (how does one adjust the left hand on the move without cruise control?). I want to use one control to adjust the heat in both at the same time.

It is important try stuff on in order to get a good fit around the body for maximum heat transfer.

I am a Gerbing user but my next pair of heated goved will come from (compatible) Warm n'Safe because of the retrograde step, IMHO, of separate adjustment.

Heated socks beat the heck out of heated insoles.

To summarise the advice so far:

A. Heated clothing gets an all but universal thumbs up, losing out only to those who favour the traditional layered approach.

B. Opinion is near enough equally divided between Warm’n’Safe (if you can find it in the UK) and Keis, with Gerbing maybe coming in third.

C. Having some method of being able to control the temperature easily when on the move (and wearing gloves) is important, as is a reliable power supply.

D. Heated gloves seem to win over heated glove liners, the latter latter only let down by the need to possibly buy oversized gloves to fit over the liners. Likewise, heated socks seem to win over heated insoles.

E. If you are running the whole nine yards of kit (jacket liner, gloves, trouser liner and socks) do check that your bike’s alternator can kick out enough power.

F. Making it yourself has, like Aerostich suits, dropped out of fashion.

Links to the websites:

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

https://keisapparel.com/?gclid=Cj0K...moHDxZWCeykE4R1C7gHcRij3MEiEjAEQaAiAEEALw_wcB

https://gerbing.co.uk/

And a sample of Do It Yourself:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u2o2YiMjOLE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On 2nd pair of Gerbing gloves, got the newer model with the heat controller buttons on the rear of the glove
Got these shorter gloves as they fit under the jacket cuff nicely
They are definitely waterproof.....thank you Scotland
The lead can be a bit tight to the right hand side depending on your build but Gerbing will include a 6 inch extension for free if you ask

https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motorcycle-heated-gloves/products/gerbing-xr-heated-motorcycle-glove

Much better than having the controller dangling down as on previous Gerbings and mentioned earlier on here.
Keep thinking about adding the jacket but the Rukka Nivala with the down jacket keeps me warm enough

To summarise the advice so far:

D. Heated gloves seem to win over heated glove liners, the latter latter only let down by the need to possibly buy oversized gloves to fit over the liners. Likewise, heated socks seem to win over heated insoles.

Re. the insoles, there was only one claim that socks are better than insoles and two positive reviews of the insoles. I could claim a 2:1 win for insoles but I won't due to the low sample size.

Warm n Safe is excellent, been using my Gen 4 liner problem free with wireless heatroller for 5 years or more now. It's the only heated gear I have ever owned that I have had to turn the temperature DOWN on :)

We have Keis gloves, body, and leg warmers. If I had to just take one on tour, or was wondering what to buy first, it would definitely be the heated trousers.

Warm core heat is ok but doesn't do much for legs or feet. Warming the blood in your legs, however, makes a big difference to your feet, and seems to warm
your body in its way back up north. A decent merino layer upstairs will keep the top half warm under a decent jacket. On my last two winter Iberian Peninsular
outings I just took the leggings and was quite content all day long.

I seem to have read that Warm & Safe and Gerbing are 'compatible'. If this is correct, is it the connectors, the controllers, other, all? I wish to add socks to my Gerbing jacket and gloves. The 'chap in the cap' and this learned forum is forcing me look at W&S...
A late entry on preference. The gloves are great, the jacket is also very effective but a little stiff. Thanks

Re. the insoles, there was only one claim that socks are better than insoles and two positive reviews of the insoles. I could claim a 2:1 win for insoles but I won't due to the low sample size.

I like the socks, so I voted twice. And, the shoe of a Philippines election, will keep voting until I win.

:beerjug:

While I am a big Warm 'n' Safe fan, I am currently moving away from either heated gloves or glove liners and back towards heated grips with hand guards on the bars.

The reason being that I absolutely hate having to plug heated gloves or liners in to the jacket. I am fine with plugging the jacket into the battery lead though. Plus....IMHO heated gloves tend to be bulky, and heated glove liners with a pair of gloves over the top also tend to end up bulky as well.

Finally, heated grips are always there. So even in June, in the Picos, if you didn't pack your heated gloves or couldn't be bothered to wire yourself up in the morning when it was 25 degrees, you still have heat for your hands when you end up in the snow.

The added benefit is that using heated grips instead of heated gloves will free up one channel on my dual channel Warm 'n' Safe heat controller, so I can warm up some other part of my body. Sadly, they don't seem to do a fur lined heated codpiece. If they did, I'd bite their hand off.

If you do get yourself a heated clothing system, which ever brand, may I suggest using a fly lead to the battery.

I spent some very uncomfortable journeys where the plug kept coming loose from the accessory socket, so I had to stop, plug it back in and then press the button on the controller etc. Very tedious. Since then, I've put fly leads on 2 bikes and then haven't used the heated waistcoat. :blast

If votes are being counted, then I’m a Keiss waistcoat user :)

With triple setting controller.

Makes a world of different when things get down to 10 DegC.

I take power on a tail from my underseat Fuzeblock.

Just remember to unplug before leaping off the bike.

Warm n safe purchased from motolegends but they will supply from the USA – I asked them before the £ bottomed

Used Kies, Gerbing but found they had issues with hot sports and burning
Use WnS jumper and a thin top over with heated trousers, socks and either old Gerbing gloves (without the integrated controller) or WnS liners in an oversized waterproof summer glove – though that is a bit bulky

I have two very little used Keis jackets, with heated sleeves if anyone is interested.

Wife's used three times and mine probably 6 times heated, more as a mid layer.

Both complete with controllers.

Think they're medium and large. Happy to check if any interest.

Checked over the weekend and they are small and large

For my tuppence worth I have a microwire Gerbing heated under jacket and have got to say it is great. It has 5 x heat settings. I only put it up to level 3 as it is so warm. The only down side is that is a tad tight on the forearms (not that I am Popeye)

I seem to have read that Warm & Safe and Gerbing are 'compatible'. If this is correct, is it the connectors, the controllers, other, all?

The Warm 'n Safe chappie told me that the connectors are compatible. I did not ask any other questions.

I have mixed n'matched Gerbing, Warm & Safe and BMW clothing items and controllers without anything igniting.

Back
Top Bottom