Disgusting treatment of bikers on the Brittany Ferries ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overnight ferry to St Malo with cabin one way is about £140

St Malo to Santander is 600 miles.So if we assume 45 mpg (some bikes will easily better this. ) then that’s about £100 at £7.50 per gallon.
Overnight hotel say £60 and you’ll probably use 1/6 of tyre wear.
New set of tyres £300 max so another £50.

Autoroute tolls £40 (ish)

So that’s about £ 250
Total £ 390

One way ferry Plymouth-Santander with cabin is £350 ish.

Bit cheaper to ferry down….

All figures approx and doesn’t include sharing cabins or staying in a Formule One.

Thanks

Hi all, I have been on European trips for 25+ years and nearly all of them have been using Brittany Ferries - and every trip prior to Covid, that is to say 2020, has been excellent.
BUT, and there is a big but here, this summer I think us "bikers" have simply been mistreated and taken for mugs !!
We went down to Spain, and back from Santander, last month and we were stuck down on deck, in the bowels of the ship. As was usual, we were all told to go down to our deck when we docked, but we were then kept there for nearly 90 minutes, in the stifling heat with no offer of bottles of water in all our heavy protective clothing.
Terrible treatment, but at least we thought when we eventually got off the ship - great, but no, we then had a huge queue for the two passport check huts.......
On the way back, it was even worse, we were still put down on deck 2 but placed near a pair of huge fan motors, and yes, they started them up and we had to stay near our bikes for 25 minutes with those roaring away. Last off again and long queues at the passport check booths.
And what is it with making motorcycles ride on and turn around etc, then turn around again when docked to get off, car and lorry drivers don't have to do that.
On reflection, it isn't as if we travel for free, 4 motorcycles take up the deck space of just one car and I bet that car didn't have to pay the collective total of £1650 that us 4 solo riders had to pay.
No, they certainly did not !!
I am not one to complain, in fact like most people, I shy away from doing anything like that, but this trip I felt like, as a motorcyclist, I simply wasn't wanted on their ferry, so I emailed them on my return and guess what, the automatic email reply I received said I will need to wait 35 days for a reply ??
If it wasn't for the fact that I happen to live in Cornwall, I would use the Channel tunnel every time.
Rant over.
Anyone else pi**ed of with Brittany Ferries ?

Dont think it was just you who was given special treatment.
Traveled with P&O the other day and they are just as bad or if not worse, with the service they provide. It seems like they just want to make the customer feel as though he is a hindrance.

Dont think it was just you who was given special treatment.
Traveled with P&O the other day and they are just as bad or if not worse, with the service they provide. It seems like they just want to make the customer feel as though he is a hindrance.

Have you contacted P&O to voice your complaint?

Leaving aside that motorcycles, unlike cars, vans and lorries, are a pain in the arse to most carriers, chiefly because they have two wheels and fall over. Have you written to the ferry company, setting out in a polite letter the problems you (as a regular and repeat customer) encountered? If not, I’d recommend that you do.

I have been asked by PM to provide the letter sent *by post* as instructed on the BF website. This was posted on Sat 1st Oct and I had an email reply with an offer of compensation on 5th Oct. The cash has yet to hit my credit card account but I have received 2x £30 restaurant vouchers by mail. That's about the cost of a 3 course meal in the posh restaurant on board. As I have booked to go next September, the meal vouchers will be used. The rebate will be 25% of the cost of my fare from Santander to Plymouth. Nothing for the 2h45m delay arriving in Santander as it has to be at least 3 hours.

Link to PDF of my redacted letter: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AvGiADP7dAX66RI0Pj0VUC2KkOOY?e=dhZEfB

Brittany Ferries T&C re. delays - like airlines, these are defined in law: https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/...-booking-terms#changes-and-cancellation-by-us

St Malo to Santander is 600 miles.So if we assume 45 mpg (some bikes will easily better this. ) then that’s about £100 at £7.50 per gallon.

So that’s about £ 250
Total £ 390

All figures approx and doesn’t include sharing cabins or staying in a Formule One.

If only I could get tyres for £300 ...

And get more than 3000 miles out of them

This is why for me the Santander ferry is the better option

I travelled back from Santander on Wednesday, I have to say I was very efficiently checked in and loaded without undue delay.

However we were about 2.5hours late departing. Crossing was quite acceptable but a bit of rocking through the bay.

Unloading wasn’t too stressful, we docked on time at 8pm on Thursday and passport control were excellent, just needed to flip my lid and move microphone out of the way rather than the usual jobsworth “ please remove your helmet “, I was in B&B by 8:40 having stopped to get a bottle of wine, glass in hand.

There was a bit of a tricky moment as a camper van had dumped a load of fresh oil on the deck, deck hand guided us around it. That’s the second crossing where deck has been made dangerous with dropped oil.

It was probably one of the most efficient crossings I’ve had.

Why oh why though do Uk port security stop so many bikers, I must look suspicious because I can’t remember my last Uk exit without being stopped and asked stupid questions by some 15 year old with a clipboard.

I always forget I have a Swiss Army knife and leatherman with me too, most stupid question was being asked if I’d any knives on board when in my camper……

At least Wessie got off his arse to write a letter, scoring a goal as a result.

Hi all, I have been on European trips for 25+ years and nearly all of them have been using Brittany Ferries - and every trip prior to Covid, that is to say 2020, has been excellent.
BUT, and there is a big but here, this summer I think us "bikers" have simply been mistreated and taken for mugs !!
We went down to Spain, and back from Santander, last month and we were stuck down on deck, in the bowels of the ship. As was usual, we were all told to go down to our deck when we docked, but we were then kept there for nearly 90 minutes, in the stifling heat with no offer of bottles of water in all our heavy protective clothing.
Terrible treatment, but at least we thought when we eventually got off the ship - great, but no, we then had a huge queue for the two passport check huts.......
On the way back, it was even worse, we were still put down on deck 2 but placed near a pair of huge fan motors, and yes, they started them up and we had to stay near our bikes for 25 minutes with those roaring away. Last off again and long queues at the passport check booths.
And what is it with making motorcycles ride on and turn around etc, then turn around again when docked to get off, car and lorry drivers don't have to do that.
On reflection, it isn't as if we travel for free, 4 motorcycles take up the deck space of just one car and I bet that car didn't have to pay the collective total of £1650 that us 4 solo riders had to pay.
No, they certainly did not !!
I am not one to complain, in fact like most people, I shy away from doing anything like that, but this trip I felt like, as a motorcyclist, I simply wasn't wanted on their ferry, so I emailed them on my return and guess what, the automatic email reply I received said I will need to wait 35 days for a reply ??
If it wasn't for the fact that I happen to live in Cornwall, I would use the Channel tunnel every time.
Rant over.
Anyone else pi**ed of with Brittany Ferries ?

======

Cut from a thread about the time of departure of a ferry from a Spanish port.

That sounds absolutely terrible, you’ve certainly had it much worse than the inhabitants of various towns and villages in Ukraine who’ve only had to endure hiding in basements for the last 6 months for fear of being raped, tortured, executed etc. Brittany Ferries certainly deserve a strongly worded letter indeed. :blast

Just as a counter view, I travelled Brittany Ferries on board the MV Connemara from Rosslare to Bilbao in the past few weeks. The vessel is described by Brittany Ferries as an economy vessel as in there are basic facilities available. Bikes were loaded onto the ferry last. We had to turn the bikes around as the vessel is discharged by the same ramp as it is loaded. The ferry departed and arrived on schedule. There was a cursory passport check in Bilbao. No delay whatsoever. The return voyage was similarly efficient.
I wouldn't hesitate to use Brittany Ferries again,

If only I could get tyres for £300 ...

And get more than 3000 miles out of them

This is why for me the Santander ferry is the better option

Changing tyres now over the next 30 days. Front has covered 7800 miles, rear got 14k. Happy with that

This thread was started without asking the author of what is now the "starter" thread, about Brittany Ferries, that author being me !
I feel that my forum post is being taken out of context here ever so slightly - I did not give the comments the title of "Disgusting treatment etc etc ", that makes me look like a prize mug.
I don't need any help looking like that in fact, far from it as most of my friends will testify, but I suspect that when the new thread was started by one of the moderators, some sort of Fleet Street licence was used in an effort to grab some attention ?
And as a small point to Wapping of this parish, someone who I always make a point of following, surely an email has the same weight as a written letter these days ?
An email was sent and that's how I could quote the 35 day reply delay. And before he sees fit to reply about that, yes, I did send a letter as well - if I really had to wait the 35 days, I would have forgotten what I originally contacted them about.
And lastly, there isn't a lot of sense making my thoughts known about people in the Ukraine being worse off than the way Brittany Ferries seem to be treating motorcyclists, I along with pretty much all of us on here, are completely in support with Russia being made to reverse out of their country, so having a cheap pop in the vain attempt of humour may raise the odd smile to some readers, but perhaps those people reading that comment and then smiling are just odd themselves ?

So that’s about £ 250
Total £ 390

If the best that my budget allows is a Formule One then I will be staying at home.

Hi all, I think that as I "started this thread".......opps, NO I didn't, it seems likely that Wapping did that and quoted my forum post etc, as well as giving it a piss poor title, which was bound to make me look a prick.
So this thread is closed, sorry to all those who may have received disappointing treatment at the hands of a certain ferry company, but perhaps you could start your own thread ?
And yes, Wapping, I did write a formal letter (in addition to my email), if you had asked me, I would have told you !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom