Monster advice

Max-GS12

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi chaps, I'm bikeless at present and thinking of picking up a relatively cheap Monster (say £3000 to £5000, maybe a little more) but hopefully without suffering too badly or getting stuck come resale maybe next year or maybe not if I become attached.

I've not ridden one but admired them for a long time but coming from generally 'sit up and beg' adventure bikes the more wrist heavy position concerns me a little.

I'm pretty confused with model numbers, history etc - please enlighten me.

I quite fancy a classic, love proper clocks/hate TFT's but equally don't want to fanny about trying to start the thing come a crisp December morning.

All advice gratefully received! :beerjug:

Monsters are not that wrist heavy

A nice 900 would be my choice but getting a nice one might be tough or expensive

I am not up on the numbers but IMO a 900 Monster is a future classic but I also think picking one up cheap is now a boat that has sailed

A few years ago tatty ones were available for peanuts and would have been good resto projects for a long term classic bet

If that isnt where you were thinking then the 821 would be my choice

The riding position is actually really nice, all day comfy in fact. I would go for any of the injected models.

Some people worry about Ducati reliability but I found my monster to be really well engineered.

People stress unnecessarily about the belt services. I'm am a home mechanic of very low ability and found the belt changes (with roller pulleys too, usually) really quite easy.

Do look at when the valve clearances are next due for checking though - checking them is easy but adjusting them is a more complex job.

Cheers chaps - been doing a ton of reading and will of course test ride some before deciding. Found an 821 locally I'll try but really the 796 fits the bill the most for me in terms of spec, looks, air cooling etc. Shame that others think the same judging by the pricing vs other M's from the last ten years...

People stress unnecessarily about the belt services. I'm am a home mechanic of very low ability and found the belt changes (with roller pulleys too, usually) really quite easy.

Do look at when the valve clearances are next due for checking though - checking them is easy but adjusting them is a more complex job.

You're right, I always took the belts off when they needed shimming as it made the job a bit easier. Early Monsters will be shimmed to zero clearance on the closing shims which is a right game. Later ones have the clearance relaxed a bit.

I've got a 12 plate 1100EVO Monster and it's a lot of fun.
It really wakes up at 4000rpm.
My original seat is only comfy, for me, up to 150 miles.

I just sold this 94 M900 she had a few tasty mods.the older models are brilliant all round bikes.

Attachments

• 8A14D86C-C620-4A0E-A22A-04CF1FBB72B6.jpg
    8A14D86C-C620-4A0E-A22A-04CF1FBB72B6.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 87

Back
Top Bottom