Scotland - thinking of moving where to check out

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope we are all well :)

I'm currently in the process of selling the house n deciding where to move myself for the next stage of my life exciting times.

Scotland seems to be making the most sense at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any tips on areas to check out past where I was thinking mainly with Motorcycles in mind as that's naturally the biggest part or mine n dads life.

Was considering

Near Inverness

Argyll and Bute

Around Moffat

Anywhere else worth checking out only been up near Moffat a few times on day trips n planning a few scouting trips once I've got the Gs next week.

Work wise actually after doing something outdoors spent years running printing presses n being in front of a mac so time for a change :)

I'm currently in the process of selling the house n deciding where to move myself for the next stage of my life exciting times.

Scotland seems to be making the most sense at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any tips on areas to check out past where I was thinking mainly with Motorcycles in mind as that's naturally the biggest part or mine n dads life.

Was considering

Near Inverness

Argyll and Bute

Around Moffat

Anywhere else worth checking out only been up near Moffat a few times on day trips n planning a few scouting trips once I've got the Gs next week.

Work wise actually after doing something outdoors spent years running printing presses n being in front of a mac so time for a change :)

Lots of great riding around Moffat but Inverness gives you great easy access to the west coat and all parts north.
However, it's a very long way to the channel tunnel and mainland Europe.
I'm about 40 miles east of Inverness.

Thanks Khulu :) a mate of mine who's also into vintage Nortons mentioned Strathcarron which is one on the list to check out.

Think the ideal is something rural but that's still commutable probably everyone's ideal I know.

Thanks Khulu :) a mate of mine who's also into vintage Nortons mentioned Strathcarron which is one on the list to check out.

Think the ideal is something rural but that's still commutable probably everyone's ideal I know.

Strathcarron is certainly rural!

Hmmm. The world is your oyster!!! If you're wanting outdoors work, focussing round Aviemore or Fort William may be a good option, as loads of outdoor work in the Cairngorms but also obv Ben Nevis. I know a few people who make a living in the outdoor industry round Aviemore, mountain guiding, cycling, skiing etc and the associated pull through (Scotland's National Outdoors Training Centre is Glenmore Lodge just outside Aviemore). For what it's worth, the A9 corridor gives great access, either by car/motorcycle but also the train line (I used to have a second home in Aviemore and use the sleeper train to get to work in London).
Some great sea kayaking too, from Aviemore area can paddle with the dolphins at Chanory Point, or awesome Sea kayaking near Mallaig, or Gairloch for instance both 90 minutes away.
Just my opinion
Remember the winters are long up there, but the endless summer evenings in summer are amazing

How about somewhere round the Cairngorms, but accessible like Aviemore? Then you get your "Rural" tick. Kingusse? Nethy Bridge? Carrbridge? etc? Also close to the outdoor industry work?

Hmmm. The world is your oyster!!! If you're wanting outdoors work, focussing round Aviemore or Fort William may be a good option, as loads of outdoor work in the Cairngorms but also obv Ben Nevis. I know a few people who make a living in the outdoor industry round Aviemore, mountain guiding, cycling, skiing etc and the associated pull through (Scotland's National Outdoors Training Centre is Glenmore Lodge just outside Aviemore). For what it's worth, the A9 corridor gives great access, either by car/motorcycle but also the train line (I used to have a second home in Aviemore and use the sleeper train to get to work in London).
Some great sea kayaking too, from Aviemore area can paddle with the dolphins at Chanory Point, or awesome Sea kayaking near Mallaig, or Gairloch for instance both 90 minutes away.
Just my opinion
Remember the winters are long up there, but the endless summer evenings in summer are amazing

How about somewhere round the Cairngorms, but accessible like Aviemore? Then you get your "Rural" tick. Kingusse? Nethy Bridge? Carrbridge? etc? Also close to the outdoor industry work?

that is just the kinda advice i would have given

I would avoid the west coast, wet and midges, the Moray Coast is really nice, Inverness is a decent town, I like Strathspey, train line, airport within an hour, A9 means central belt within 2 or 3 hours and mountains all around. And folk who tend to live here because they like the hills.

Having lived up here for the past 34 years, near Elgin (& Khulu ;)), my choice would be Moffat.

From there you have all the compass points to travel too, not just north, east & west which is what the northern section offers.

Just my tuppence worth.

SteveT

:cool:

Thanks everyone absolutely brilliant advice and very much appreciated really excited to get up n start hunting about. Echoing some of my own research I've done as well which is great.

That Fastback Commando of yours is a sign, a sign I tell you....!

I have a friend here in Fife who I think is just about to put his identical one up for sale.

You should obviously come and live here in Fife.

Actually, North East Fife is a lovely place to live, especially in the summer months.

Haha! Thanks mate fife is on the list of places to check out. :) an one can never have to many Nortons lmao

Haha! Thanks mate fife is on the list of places to check out. :) an one can never have to many Nortons lmao

I don't know about that. I had a Mk3 Commando way back when. It wasn't great.

However, here's my friend's at one of our local bike nights. I believe he's got a Commander as well, although I've never seen it.

Attachments

• 312055648_10160070152228398_7727162189971428382_n.jpg
    312055648_10160070152228398_7727162189971428382_n.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 226
Whilst Moffat and Fife are fab, I think it could be a bit limiting for Steele01 in terms of finding work in the outdoors as per his original post,

Moffat (and the Borders, and Dumfries & Galloway) have some awesome and quiet motorcycle roads. Been there few times recently. There's also the 7Stanes ( https://forestryandland.gov.scot/visit/activities/mountain-biking/7stanes ) making the area fabulous for mountain biking. The hillwalking is massively underrated. Some lovely walks around the "Range of the Awful Hand", and also around Borders in general. I had a few forays here to go hillwalking and unlike the Cairngorms or the Munros in general you hardly ever see a soul! Still I think it's limited in terms of making work in the outdoors...

Fife (I lived here for a few years) is also pretty good for motorcycling. Some nice roads and there used to be a really active BMW motorcycle club meeting in Ceres near Cupar. Apart from the Falkland Hills (and the Pentlands/Ochils but they're not in Fife) there's not much in terms of hill activities here. Plenty to explore in a Sea Kayak, some of the islands are fabulous objectives, and the LSKC is a really active Sea Kayak club. I would never get bored of paddling round Bass Rock or Inchmickery...

North Fife and Tayside are good soft fruit growing areas, testament to a good local climate :)

Again it will depend on what the OP wants to do in terms of "outdoors" work??? (I may have jumped to a incorrect conclusion in thinking it was around walking/climbing/cycling/kayaking or whatever ;))

what about the blairgowrie area? reasonably rural, easy access to all points of the compass. decent summer weather. the moray coast is ok. remember that the east coast, peterhead, st andrews etc are subject to bloody cold winds at all times of the year.

Was considering

Near Inverness

Argyll and Bute

Around Moffat

What sort of work are you hoping for? That will help narrow things down I imagine

Hi everyone thanks for all the replies :) I'm just in the process of looking at what's about whether it's forestry agriculture or something like you guts mentioned with outdoor pursuits stuff. Just something not on a Printing Press or a computer and I'll be happy.

Not quite sure yet as I'm just starting to research what's about it the different areas work wise.

Really appreciating the replies and advice on areas it's great info especially on where has good bike scenes.

If you haven't already, have. Look at Mountain Leader courses at Glenmore Lodge. Did mine a few years back. So far I've only led a few (unpaid) charity walks (taking office staff up mountains for charity walks)... Good fun.

Back
Top Bottom