Lambeth Shot Tower

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Royal_Festival_Hall_and_Shot_Tower_c1959.jpg

Demolished in 1962, there was a shot tower on the South Bank next to the Festival Hall.

Sir Hugh Casson, who had been the Director of Architecture for the Festival of Britain in 1951, described the tower as "an extraordinary device. It's a factory chimney, with a staircase inside it, and you take hot lead up to the top, and you drop it down, in drops, and the drops don't make tears as you'd expect, to get thicker as they go, they're absolutely perfect globes, and they're tiny, you see, as you know, I mean, they're absolutely wee, like the shot you get inside a cartridge. And there were two old men, one at the bottom and one at the top. The one at the top was the one with the hot lead, and he dropped it down into a cold bucket at the bottom, and it cooled it off at once, and then it was taken away and sold. And these two old boys were rather like two old fishermen in a boat, they'd been there for years. And they didn't speak, most of the time they were separated by 150 feet of shaft."

Who knew?

Who knew?

Shame they demolished it.

Here are the Bristol shot towers, the square tower was built in 1775, the first one ever, built by the inventor of the process William Watts, and then replaced by
the newer one in 1969 . This one was also due for demolition but was saved by English Heritage.

Attachments

• 300px-Cheese_Lane_shot_tower,_from_west_(cropped).jpg
    300px-Cheese_Lane_shot_tower,_from_west_(cropped).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 308
  • The_Shot_Tower,_Redcliff_Hill_(geograph_6053703).jpg
    The_Shot_Tower,_Redcliff_Hill_(geograph_6053703).jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 305
Shame they demolished it.

Here are the Bristol shot towers, the square tower was built in 1775, the first one ever, built by the inventor of the process William Watts, and then replaced by
the newer one in 1969 . This one was also due for demolition but was saved by English Heritage.

Indeed, there are still a few about.

What surprised me is that the Lambeth tower existed at all - and was still standing when I were a lad!

Fascinating.

Is it true that ball bearings are (or were) made in the same way?
Or dropped in a vacuum tube?

We made solder powder at the Alpha factory in Elizabeth Town, New Jersey by dropping molten 63/37 solder into a long tube filled with oil.

Then when cold, solid was mixed with a flux vehicle and became solder paste for stencil printing onto printed circuit boards.

Bit of a tangent to the OP, but the same principle.

Fascinating.

Is it true that ball bearings are (or were) made in the same way?
Or dropped in a vacuum tube?

For many years, I was the reinsurance broker for SKF’s global Property and Business Interruption insurances and watched ball bearings (of all sorts and sizes) being produced, more times than I care to remember. Ball bearings are certainly not made that way now. I don’t think they ever were.

I think it would only work with metals with a low melting point.

They use the same process to manufacture some fertilizer pellets, it's called "prilling". The tower doesn't need to be very high as they force air upwards creating the same effect as dropping the molten liquid through static air, but with less linear distances involved.

Something something spherical chickens in a vacuum...

When being taken around the SKF ball bearing factory in Gothenburg, we were somewhat worried to be told by the guide that, “Here your ring and balls will be ground and polished”.

I think there’s one in Hull at the Gamebore shotgun cartridge factory. Not sure if they still make their own lead shot.

I think there’s one in Hull at the Gamebore shotgun cartridge factory. Not sure if they still make their own lead shot.

No lead shot there anymore. Think it might be banned., so steel shot now. Tower is still there.
Still make all the cartridges in house.
Do quite a bit of work there and it's a very busy place. Fascinating machinery, plastic tube in at one end, box of cartridges out at the other end.
Never realised how many people shoot things until you see warehouse full of pallets of shotgun cartridges.

No lead shot there anymore. Think it might be banned., so steel shot now. Tower is still there.
Do quite a bit of work there and it's a very busy place. Fascinating machinery, plastic tube in at one end, box of cartridges out at the other end.
Never realised how many people shoot things until you see warehouse full of pallets of shotgun cartridges.

My dad was sales office manager for about 25 years at their rival company Hull Cartridge Co on the other side of town and was offered a job with Gamebore. Part of the interview ( more like an informal chat as they all knew each other in the trade) was to tour the factory. I remember him telling me all about the shot tower and how it worked etc etc.
Simple but fascinating process.

Lead shot is alive and kicking ;) , lots of talk of banning it, but for the moment it survives

Back
Top Bottom