Suit washing novice

Boxerboy55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Will the suit ever be the same again ?

I’ll confess it’s the first time I’ve ever washed a bike suit, so I’m hoping it hasn’t been irreversibly fucked up.

Did follow the label instruction and with guidance from the boss, fired up her trusty washing machine then tumble drier.

I ain’t getting dressed up in the dry suit and standing under a hose pipe so won’t know if it still works till next March.

Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 14DEF741-0E87-4C83-BF87-EA99C69C8562.jpg
    14DEF741-0E87-4C83-BF87-EA99C69C8562.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 216
The Method i use for my laminated gear is;
- drum clean cycle on the machine to purge out all the previous washing detergents and conditioners. These are what will eat away/destroy the waterproof taped seams.
- remove all armour & things from pockets from gear. Turn inside out & make sure zips and poppers are closed
- add in your detergent of choice (i use Storm)
- washing machine cycle 30 Degrees and 800 spin speed
- you can then tumble dry for 20 minutes
- i air dry mine, and when nearly done/still damp spray on some DWR to absorb into the outer layers of the garment so it dries into the fabric as your first barrier of waterproofing.

I wash my gear every 6 months or so the past 18 months, and it is still intact and waterproof

Usually wash with Nikwax techwash, then run the short cycle with Nickwax tx direct wash in proofer and then hang up on the washing line and spray any vulnerable areas of the gear , ie shoulders , crotch, seat area with tx spray then air dry

Usually wash with Nikwax techwash, then run the short cycle with Nickwax tx direct wash in proofer and then hang up on the washing line and spray any vulnerable areas of the gear , ie shoulders , crotch, seat area with tx spray then air dry

I like your idea of spraying after washing, might do it from now on

Don't forget to either tumble dry or warm iron so that it re-activates the water repellent surface.

Don't use a hot iron or you'll melt the clothing.

Did my Rukka trousers as per Neil W's instructions (coincidentally) last week. All good.

Very technical, for the last 8 years just took armour out of my Rukka gear, turned inside out and did a 20 min wash with tech wash, then a 20 min reproofing wash. Then hung it up in the airing cupboard. No washing machine rinse before and the suit has been 100% waterproof for over 100,000 miles of riding all year around.

Thanks for all the tips.

Suit has cleaned up nicely after a straight wash except for a few obvious non-removable stains.

I'll get hold of some Nikwax TX an take it from there.

Ruined a good suit by machine washing it damaged the surface trim, switched to hand washing.

If you are going to put textile gloves trousers or jackets in a washing machine remove armour and the try using a mesh wash bag if you can find one big enough, this should give some protection against the mechanical bashing it will take.

Wouldn't ever use a tumble drier, not that many can afford the energy costs these days.

Very technical, for the last 8 years just took armour out of my Rukka gear, turned inside out and did a 20 min wash with tech wash, then a 20 min reproofing wash. Then hung it up in the airing cupboard. No washing machine rinse before and the suit has been 100% waterproof for over 100,000 miles of riding all year around.

Rukka must now be referred to as Fukka.
It’s shit ! I read it here so it must be true !!!

Thanks for all the tips.

Suit has cleaned up nicely after a straight wash except for a few obvious non-removable stains.

I'll get hold of some Nikwax TX an take it from there.

i've used this stuff which has worked well at removing most stains. And not been damaging to the finish or colouring of the jacket either.

You don't need to wash the machine before washing the suit in the machine, that's bollocks, there won't be enough old detergent left in the machine to damage your suit. I've washed laminate suits for the last 6 years like this and not one of them has ever leaked or had its performance effected in any way.

What's with the whole fukka thing, I must have circa 200,000 miles in my Nivala and it's never missed a beat.

Back
Top Bottom