Thread: Newbie here..

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Newbie here..

Hi all,
    I'm new to this whole biking thing -but learning quickly. I have a 1250GSA and I'm off for my third solo tour of Europe soon - migrating south for some sunshine. Anyway, it seems like you guys should be a fount of all knowledge on things GSA so here's my first question; Where can I get an outdoor cover that actually fits a GSA, I want it for a little extra security while I'm camping.
    Do51

Welcome!

Yes, the font of all GS knowledge, but be prepared to also learn all you need to know about vaccinations, electric cars and the merits of moving to Portugal.

Enjoy the ride!
    The Other PaulG

...you should never underestimate what a wonderful thing you have all done here - Chad, Dec 2018

Most welcome to this sometime madhouse.
    All questions answered - eventually.
    Good to hear you are intending to tour Europe in the winter - perhaps we have more to learn from you than vice versa?
    Not too sure that you will need to cover it up but rather leave it exposed as a sign to the world
    GLWT.
    Absence of proof is not the same as proof of absence.
    Unless you read it here.

Quote Originally Posted by do51fkr View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this whole biking thing -but learning quickly. I have a 1250GSA and I'm off for my third solo tour of Europe soon - migrating south for some sunshine. Anyway, it seems like you guys should be a fount of all knowledge on things GSA so here's my first question; Where can I get an outdoor cover that actually fits a GSA, I want it for a little extra security while I'm camping.
    Do51

Try this:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...tch-Biker-Tent

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsilano View Post
    The tent option above may not be as silly as it first seems.

Because this cover HERE when folded up will take up more room on the bike than the actual tent and you would need to pack your current tent too.

The biker tent combines both.

I have a cover for mine and when folded they are a large pack, i wouldn't dream of touring with it.

Thanks for the input folks. Just to clarify (my thinking) - I have a Lone Rider Moto Tent, not that I have ever put the bike inside - it turned out that I much prefer having the extra space. I'm not worried about the bike while its by the tent, it is when I go off for the day and have to leave the bike unattended somewhere. It is a very pretty bike and attracts a lot of attention, so I thought covering it up would help - but - a cover with a BMW logo on it probably defeats the object - so the Oxford one mentioned above looks like a great idea. I completely get the point about carrying it around with me, I already carry too much crap as it is - but it is hard to truly appreciate some fantastic view that you have just hiked 2km to see when you are chewing your nails over the bike.
    Do51

Ok - second question. (I may be pushing my luck here and someone will tell me I should have posted this elsewhere).
    On Youtube I recently saw someone turn their T7 around on the sidestand - looked like a really useful little trick - until I went to try it with my GSA. Looked like it might be a really efficient way of detaching the sidestand from the bike - anyone tried it?
    Do51

Quote Originally Posted by do51fkr View Post
    Ok - second question. (I may be pushing my luck here and someone will tell me I should have posted this elsewhere).
    On Youtube I recently saw someone turn their T7 around on the sidestand - looked like a really useful little trick - until I went to try it with my GSA. Looked like it might be a really efficient way of detaching the sidestand from the bike - anyone tried it?
    Do51
    Do a YT search for one of the female Vloggers (not Itchy boots) she rides a GS and side stand turns it if needs be

A few people spin their GS this way.

There is a girl who used to work in Williams BMW in Manchester who has her own Youtube channel "UsernameKate" and.... i know she wont hate me for saying she's a shorter rider
    she found that spinning the bike this way works for her too.

Personally I've never done it... mind you I'm 6' 4" and can move the bike around easily.

regarding your leaving the bike... i totally get that.

I wanted to walk up and visit the Scottish Pyramid (Prince Alberts Pyramid) but i had to park the bike and walk to it.
    so decided against it.

a plain cover would deter opportunist thieves.

Once again, thanks for your input guys. I have watched said UsernameKate and enjoyed her content - didn't know she was a bike spinner. Like Barnoe, I am a big lad and can move the bike around easily. Having said that I recently found myself in a situation where it was becoming a real pain to turn the bike and a simple 180 would have been very welcome.
    As for the cover, you mention ItchyBoots, I see she puts her bike "in its pyjamas" whenever she is nervous about leaving it anywhere. I think I'll give it a go - just got to decide which other piece of "precious" crap will have to stay at home, the electric toothbrush and esspresso maker maybe...
    Oh - I meant to ask - if you had a cover with you in Scotland would you have used it and left the bike...

Welcome. With a username like dosifkr, it sounds like you will fit right in here.

Don't mind the locals, correcting spelling and grammar, but they are a definitely a 'font' of knowledge and learning. (amongst a bunch of other undesirable traits)

Get yourself subscribed if you've not already done so, it's good value for access all areas.