MotoGB and RE to part company?

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have seen mention of Royal Enfield ending their UK distribution agreement with MotoGB. I have not seen any official announcement as yet, but I dont think that there will be many owners disappointed with the news, feedback has been poor on them.

RE seemingly going to handle it directly themselves.

Thats a pain, as I've got a few MotoGB RE dealers quite near to me. (St Helens, Wigan, Warrington and Preston) There's not many motorcycle shops in NW England that aren't owned by MotoGB, I'm guessing I may have to use Bill Smiths at Chester. When my interceptor is out of warranty I'll do all service work myself. I've a close friend that works for MotoGB, I'll have to ask him if he knows anything.

Good to know. Moto GB have received multiple complaints about the RE dealer local to me and seem to have a "not our problem" approach. Hopefully if RE manage the dealer network directly, there will be more accountability for dealers as I can't imagine any manufacturer worth their salt will tolerate dealers with a reputation for rudeness, dire communication, poor attitude and quality control over the services they offer.

Thats a pain, as I've got a few MotoGB RE dealers quite near to me. (St Helens, Wigan, Warrington and Preston) There's not many motorcycle shops in NW England that aren't owned by MotoGB, I'm guessing I may have to use Bill Smiths at Chester. When my interceptor is out of warranty I'll do all service work myself. I've a close friend that works for MotoGB, I'll have to ask him if he knows anything.

Al there is A&D at Denbigh, they have a strong RE presence , probably 3 or 4 times as many RE’s in stock as Bill Smith . About 30 miles from Chester

This is what the Pravda of the motorcycle world has to say -

Royal Enfield is coming back to the UK, cutting ties with MotoGB, and establishing their own distribution network to strengthen retailer and customer relations.

Launching their first bike in the UK back in 1901 but now owned by Eicher Motors in India, Royal Enfield UK Ltd will now manage sales and dealer relationships from May 1, 2023.

The move ends a nine-year long partnership Chorley-based MotoGB who also cater for the likes of Italjet, Benelli, Lambretta, and more.

Arun Gopal, Head of Royal Enfield’s European Business Markets, spoke to MCN ahead of the official announcement and said: “We have a fantastic business model working with distributors. It’s done really well for us.

“But as we scale up operations – and in the UK this year we’ve been a clear number one in the midsized motorcycle segment for the first time outside of India – so [this is] for us to really strengthen that position.

“And, number two, it’s for us to have a better idea of what’s really happening in the market. It’s very critical for Royal Enfield to be managing operations directly to one country in Europe,” the Enfield boss continued.

“Customer motorcycle usages are quite common across this entire region and… I strongly believe there should be at least one market where we should be directly involved with dealers and customers.”

He added: “It helps us get feedback quicker, it helps us respond to market requirements more quickly.”

The new Ltd company will also undertake marketing, warranty service, after sales and customer care responsibilities.

Gopal added: “We’ve got products that are really delivering well for us and we’ve got so much more we can bring to the market, but I think it’s important Royal Enfield as an organisation understands this market first hand.

“There can’t be a better market than the UK to be doing that because this is where is all began.”

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2022/november/royal-enfield-return-to-the-uk/

According to my source it's happening in March next year. He reckons most of the current dealer network will remain as is. Hopefully my two most local will remain (millenium and wigan M/cs)

According to my source it's happening in March next year. He reckons most of the current dealer network will remain as is. Hopefully my two most local will remain (millenium and wigan M/cs)

Having purchased my 500 from Millenium and getting it serviced at Wigan I know which I prefer and not just because it’s closer to home.

I've had a few bikes from Millenium over the years, their service department back when I had my first Stelvio (which I bought from them) was woeful. A pal went to work there as service manager thinking/hoping he could make a difference, he gave up after a year and went back to his old job. I had a problem with the rear wheel spokes coming loose on my Yamaha XTZ1200, they offered to sort it under warranty, but it could not be done in house, they had to outsource it.
However I had an issue with my interceptor headlight a few months back, it was sorted out very promptly which surprised me. I recently took the bike in for it's first annual service with only 2500 miles on the clock, they didn't do the valves as that is mileage dependent so just did a 3k service (inspection) and an oil change, which I was happy with as I'd heard of some dealers insisting on doing the valves at sub 6000 mile intervals for the annual service. The staff were pleasant and the job was carried out in the time allotted, plus I was able to meet Brut33 for breakfast in their cafe:D So at the moment I'm quite happy with them for a change

I've had a few bikes from Millenium over the years, their service department back when I had my first Stelvio (which I bought from them) was woeful. A pal went to work there as service manager thinking/hoping he could make a difference, he gave up after a year and went back to his old job. I had a problem with the rear wheel spokes coming loose on my Yamaha XTZ1200, they offered to sort it under warranty, but it could not be done in house, they had to outsource it.
However I had an issue with my interceptor headlight a few months back, it was sorted out very promptly which surprised me. I recently took the bike in for it's first annual service with only 2500 miles on the clock, they didn't do the valves as that is mileage dependent so just did a 3k service (inspection) and an oil change, which I was happy with as I'd heard of some dealers insisting on doing the valves at sub 6000 mile intervals for the annual service. The staff were pleasant and the job was carried out in the time allotted, plus I was able to meet Brut33 for breakfast in their cafe:D So at the moment I'm quite happy with them for a change

Mine goes in tomorrow for the caliper recall Al, and annual service (only 2,800) they are supposed to inspect and adjust valve clearances 6000 miles OR annually is how I read it in the manual..... Ive done the running in service and valves myself during covid but better get this done for warranty reasons, I trust me to do it better than they will though :blast

Have seen mention of Royal Enfield ending their UK distribution agreement with MotoGB. I have not seen any official announcement as yet, but I dont think that there will be many owners disappointed with the news, feedback has been poor on them.

RE seemingly going to handle it directly themselves.
Our favourite YouTuber on this site....Uncle Stu's take on this news .... ay up

https://youtu.be/PE8w26lznHo

Mine goes in tomorrow for the caliper recall Al, and annual service (only 2,800) they are supposed to inspect and adjust valve clearances 6000 miles OR annually is how I read it in the manual..... Ive done the running in service and valves myself during covid but better get this done for warranty reasons, I trust me to do it better than they will though :blast

Valve clearances don't change with time, only use, so don't pay out for an unnecessary valve check. I was pleasantly surprised that the service underwriter at Millenium told me it wasn't needed as I thought they may try to milk it for the cash. I paid just for a 3k service which is really just an inspection and also an oil and filter change £160 IIRC. I will be doing my own service work after the two year annual service.

'Fraid I stopped watching Fillingham when he started spouting Faragist anti-EU misinformation. So not my favourite YouTuber :D

'Fraid I stopped watching Fillingham when he started spouting Faragist anti-EU misinformation. So not my favourite YouTuber :D
He's not liked by many on here at all, I personally like him, perhaps it's an age thing and he's as grumpy as I am

I don't mind him, I've found him to be informative on some practical tasks. I'm not small minded enough to cancel anyone for their political viewpoint. It's good to hear everyones point of view.

Eyup. I like his straight to the point, say it as it is delivery and viewpoint. He may not be fashionably PC for some but he
hits the spot for me. As an ex motorcycle cop he has loads of experience, knowledge and ability which comes through
in his videos.

MotoGB are a BOS. so thank feck they are being fecked off.

Luckily i have A&D a lovely 30 mile ride from here and i regularly go to Denbigh Hospital while on the Blood Bike so, can get spares while i'm at it, also, grab a brew at the excellent cafe. Win Win :D

Valve clearances don't change with time, only use, so don't pay out for an unnecessary valve check. I was pleasantly surprised that the service underwriter at Millenium told me it wasn't needed as I thought they may try to milk it for the cash. I paid just for a 3k service which is really just an inspection and also an oil and filter change £160 IIRC. I will be doing my own service work after the two year annual service.
You're right Al, spoke to the mechanic, got new calipers fitted and 3,000 mile service done, bike valet and ACF50 treatment....£165 .... Happy with that
Then rode home in shitty weather on shitty roads will get a wash and some more ACF50 tomorrow and be tucked up in the Garage till end March

MotoGB are a BOS. so thank feck they are being fecked off.

Luckily i have A&D a lovely 30 mile ride from here and i regularly go to Denbigh Hospital while on the Blood Bike so, can get spares while i'm at it, also, grab a brew at the excellent cafe. Win Win :D

I was at A&D today having a spin on this demo bike, it was a breath of fresh air after going in MotoGB
who I live a near to ( Millennium Motorcycles).
The staff in A&D are are really nice chaps and come across as enthusiasts as opposed to salesmen,
and there was generally a nice feel about the place. Oh, and the cafe hit the spot as well.:thumb2

Attachments

• IMG_20221202_132539753.jpg
    IMG_20221202_132539753.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 187

Back
Top Bottom