MZ 250 - One for Mickey

Ahhhh, a two stroke at last - not QUITE what I had in mind but I do like MZs. Such practical, simple, well made things.

Does 'Attracts a certain kind of owner' = Cheapskates???...:D

Another great video, the ring-a ding sound track took me back a bit. I keep promising myself one last two stroke.

Enjoyed that...:thumb2

Good one Mike :thumb2

Mine when my father had it ... in the Eifels of Germany ...

i-hJm2XCT-L.jpg

Monschau ...

i-4qSGQJr-L.jpg

When my son Martyn had it ...

i-7vSWDHZ-L.jpg

This was a handy mod ...

i-Wqnb6Z8-L.jpg

.... and back to me she comes ...

i-bvqQk4f-L.jpg

Great bikes :thumby:

:beerjug:

Other useful modifications ...

i-kpPZ3DW-L.jpg

Oil container in one side, plug and plug spanner in t'other :thumb2

To be honest though, never ever oiled a plug. Used this from getting MZ's ...

i-rdFC7qR-L.jpg

Used to get a large drum to share between my father, my sons and myself :D

Looking at the spark plug you would think it came out of a well running four stroke. Never ever left a blue haze behind the 'bike after being warmed up :thumb

Enhanced tool kit kept in the seat ...

i-7ZHBb34-L.jpg

Genuine East German folding pannier frames, bought since Brexit without a problem :D

i-ftb5623-L.jpg

Still on 6v electrics with points ignition!

Now in the Historic Vehicle category, with period plate :thumb

i-9v2wsF9-L.jpg

The Four Wheelers camping at Glaisdale ....
i-CqX7PLh-L.jpg

RIP dad and son Martyn

I think that the petroil mixing thing is the only thing that I don't like. I did plenty of it years ago but when I got my Yamaha RD 250, I thought that the 'Autolube' system was a vast improvement.

EVERY garage used to stock two stroke oil but I guess that's not the case nowadays?..:nenau....

My mate runs a Lambretta (he's got £17K in it :eek:) and he always carries two stroke oil with him.

Mike says that you wouldn't tour on an MZ....I definitely would.

Mike says that you wouldn't tour on an MZ....I definitely would.

Certainly you would. A tour through parts of the old East Germany on one would seem like a most excellent idea. A bit like when Bakes pottered through Spain on a Bultaco - an amazing number of people along the way 'got it' and lots of interesting conversations were started as a result.

A bit like when Bakes pottered through Spain on a Bultaco - an amazing number of people along the way 'got it' and lots of interesting conversations were started as a result.

That got my memory banks going, what a great thread that was. It wasn't just the trip it was the way that he wrote it up, his 'style' of writing, full of typos etc....:D

Yeah, you can tour on anything - It's never been easier.

Thanks Drizzlers for putting that together - that was just as interesting as the episodes featuring the more obvious big old classic 4 strokes.

And if you DID do an East German mooch, I'd imagine that in every single village there's be a 70 year old bloke who could fix one with his eyes closed and would probably welcome the chance to get his hands oily again. I suspect Waps is contemplating a suitable route as we speak...

Bought my nearly new 250TS in 1975 from local bike dealer Ernie Page. £350? It took me and the missus all over. 50mph cruising two up with that rubber mounted engine smoothing out any vibes. A brilliant bike.

When I bought my R60/6 a year later, I was looking for a big bike for two up trips but one which had all the qualities I got from the MZ. The BM was the only bike at the time that was comparable in terms of engineering quality, reliability, fuel consumption, chrome and alloy quality etc.

If MZ had built a 500cc four stroke twin along the same lines as the 250, they'd have soaked up an awful lot of sales from people who otherwise would have bought BMs or (if the industry had not collapsed) Triumphs, BSAs etc.

Sent from MZ fan land!

Certainly you would. A tour through parts of the old East Germany on one would seem like a most excellent idea.

After mom died dad and myself planned to head east and visit the MZ factory. Dad had written to them and got an invite to visit by return post.

He borrowed the Belstaff throw over panniers I had bought for my son Martyn ... they were described as waterproof :blast

Because they were 'waterproof' dad didn't wrap his clothes in supermarket plastic bags :eek:

Well it pissed it down across Germany and in to the Eifels where dad had quite simply had enough :blast

His clothes were all soaking wet .... he said "I thought these panniers were waterproof "Ha ha, well they are Pops, that 3" of water in the bottom isn't running out" :D

We had a couple of days and I took him home ....

On another visit to Wunderbar Deutschland a friend Christian Schlicht at Hotel Forsthaus took us to a family friend who had a small motorcycles collection.

The venerable BK350 flat twin MZ, shaft drive. Grease nipples on the front forks we started it up and I had a ride round on it :thumb2

i-jpnZtCZ-L.jpg

Mine back in the day. I sold my Mk3 Commando and bought this to commute into Edinburgh. Spot the mods..;)

Attachments

• 11419324_10153396805613398_992923415645040144_o.jpg
    11419324_10153396805613398_992923415645040144_o.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 208
Mine back in the day. I sold my Mk3 Commando and bought this to commute into Edinburgh. Spot the mods..;)

Certainly a Honda K4 350 (?) twin leading shoe front brake :thumb

Dads had one fitted when we bought it ... he swopped it for my front wheel :D

Certainly a Honda K4 350 (?) twin leading shoe front brake :thumb

Dads had one fitted when we bought it ... he swopped it for my front wheel :D

Certainly Honda TLS, Mick. I think it could be any 250 / 350 from CB72 onwards. I had it laced into the original MZ alloy rim and had Green AM4 linings fitted to the brake shoes. It was way over-braked. :blast

There are some other less obvious mods as well.

There are some other less obvious mods as well.

Carb' ???

It might be the angle of the pic' but your bike doesn't APPEAR to have that silver tube thing between the carb' and the barrel?

Micky...Wonderful story re your Dad and his bike.

My head has been turned to the MZ 250 world.
Can somebody explain the differences between the TS and the ETZ 250's please. Thanks

My head has been turned to the MZ 250 world.
Can somebody explain the differences between the TS and the ETZ 250's please. Thanks
TS - 4 speed. Side access spark plug. Petroil lube. No rev counter. Small diameter front wheel. Drum front brake.

Half way house was the Supa5 (in UK, still TS in E Germany) As above but 5 speed and rev counter as in the video. Larger front wheel. Central spark plug in flat top cylinder head.

ETZ- As S5 plus disc front brake (Care required!)., Metered oiling. Slab sided tank.

Sent from MZ fan world!

Certainly you would. A tour through parts of the old East Germany on one would seem like a most excellent idea..

Brings back memories of being stopped by the East German Fuzz on the Czech-Polish (non official) border crossing

Mark Dilloway front left in the second picture RIP

Attachments

• 3A83801F-20EE-4912-965F-EAF21FD1B79F.jpeg
    3A83801F-20EE-4912-965F-EAF21FD1B79F.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 149
  • A0B47BE9-C022-4149-A712-0D8DEBD4631F.jpeg
    A0B47BE9-C022-4149-A712-0D8DEBD4631F.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 150

Back
Top Bottom