Serra da Estrela Natural Park

force4fun

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Early stages of route planning for trip next spring (late April, 7 days) now the ferry is booked. Outline plan is NorthWest Spain (ben before, awsome) and into northern Portugal for couple of days.

My question is regarding Serra da Estrela Natural Park. We probably have 2-3 days in Portugal and Serra da Estrela Natural Park looks worth a day to travel round but if anyone has been there, is it the best option concidering time available and keeping to the north? I'll probably include the coastline as part of the trip into Portugal but want to make sure I do one the sights in the time available as I hear Portugal is excellent.

Thanks in advance.

john

I'd just stick to Northern Portugal with 2-3 days there. We had a few days round Braganca last Autumn, superb roads and riding but you seldom get anywhere quickly...unless blasting on main roads/motorway. There is sufficient of interest just in that small area for weeks or riding let alone a couple of days. To me you'd waster over 300 miles and a full day just getting to and from Serra da Estrela, save it for another trip (Fly in and rent from Porto)

You may be better around the Gerês national park. You are around a good area with plenty to see.. Braga, Guimarães, Chaves, Porto,Viana do Castelo.
The national Park has some nice views and small towns.

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

I'd just stick to Northern Portugal with 2-3 days there. We had a few days round Braganca last Autumn, superb roads and riding but you seldom get anywhere quickly...unless blasting on main roads/motorway. There is sufficient of interest just in that small area for weeks or riding let alone a couple of days. To me you'd waster over 300 miles and a full day just getting to and from Serra da Estrela, save it for another trip (Fly in and rent from Porto)

You may be better around the Gerês national park. You are around a good area with plenty to see.. Braga, Guimarães, Chaves, Porto,Viana do Castelo.

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

Best advice right there, I would return to the Estrelas in a couple of years, a large part of it was ravaged by fire this year and will still be pretty barren for a while, but it always looks better with snow on it! If I am honest, it looks better from a distance.

That was my concern. So great advice and it clarifies my thinking

Thanks and that sounds a good idea and advice. I’ll look into those areas

Best advice right there, I would return to the Estrelas in a couple of years, a large part of it was ravaged by fire this year and will still be pretty barren for a while, but it always looks better with snow on it! If I am honest, it looks better from a distance.

Again great advice which is much appreciated, especially regarding fire damage. Cheers

The N103 between Chaves & Braganca is a cracking road (as I’m sure it is between Chaves & Braga) & the N206 is a nice alternative return run

The N103 between Chaves & Braganca is a cracking road (as I’m sure it is between Chaves & Braga) & the N206 is a nice alternative return run

Planning to do this but quick question. I was thinking of travelling down to Porto from Gerês national park, but not sure if it's worth it! It's just one night so is Guimarães a good option? Just looking for an interesting location for a beer and food and good sleep!!

I stayed in Mantegias in the Serra da Estrela NP for a couple of nights in October. The fire damage wasn’t too bad and the roads were good up to the observatory, but not a patch on the Picos or Pyrenees. It was OK for a days riding, but I agree that northern Portugal, particularly the N103, offers much better riding :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom