Recommend a Battery for GSA

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2013 90th Editon GSA The battery is original and now showing signs of failure. I have searched the Forum for recommendations but these go back a few years and realise technology and advancement change over the years.

I have various additions to the system IE; sat nav, phone charging, heated jacket / gloves etc.

Can anyone recommend a decent battery for this model?

TA Steve

Battery tech is pretty stable at the moment. There the great debate of lithium or not - I’ve had both, lithium is what I’ll go back to next time as current bike has its original battery and otherwise pick a good brand like mottobatt and you’ll be set.

I am still staying with old tech for another few years.
Just ordered another Motobatt MBYZ16HD for my 2012 GS.
Best price I could find after a quick search was from Motorcycle Parts Warehouse.

I've been running a lithium battery for the last 3 years. I got my wallet out at the time and bought an Alliant lithium battery (they claim many are used in microlites). It's been boringly reliable. Nothing to write about.

The lithium batteries are shockingly light compared to the conventional. I mean a third or less of the weight.

The other foible of the lithium batteries is cold weather - below zero temps. They need a gentle massage to stir then into life. But once they're stirred, it's all back to normal. Over the last year's I've had several instances of starting the bike after it has stood some days in sub-zero temps (-7° / -10°). The first press of the button is unable to start the bike. Wait a few seconds, try again. Do this 2-3 times and suddenly is all fresh and back to life.

As mentioned in posts above. The lithium vs conventional is an ongoing debate. But just the weight saving must be a bonus!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I've been running a lithium battery for the last 3 years. I got my wallet out at the time and bought an Alliant lithium battery (they claim many are used in microlites). It's been boringly reliable. Nothing to write about.

The lithium batteries are shockingly light compared to the conventional. I mean a third or less of the weight.

The other foible of the lithium batteries is cold weather - below zero temps. They need a gentle massage to stir then into life. But once they're stirred, it's all back to normal. Over the last year's I've had several instances of starting the bike after it has stood some days in sub-zero temps (-7° / -10°). The first press of the button is unable to start the bike. Wait a few seconds, try again. Do this 2-3 times and suddenly is all fresh and back to life.

As mentioned in posts above. The lithium vs conventional is an ongoing debate. But just the weight saving must be a bonus!

Yep. I’ll be going back to lithium when I next change for 2 reasons:

1) The weight savings are massive
2) Not having to put the bike on charge when it’s not in use. Over covid my old bike sat for 4 months unused and started on the second attempt, the first being used to wake the battery up

stick your reg. no in https://www.tayna.co.uk/ and you will get a number of options.
I have changed the batteries on both of my 2016 BMW bikes in the 18 months and went with the cheaper of the Exide AGM/Gel options for both.

Prices are usually pretty competitive and the delivery is usually next day.

Thanks for the input guy's. I do have a lithium on a few of my other bikes (Trail and Race bikes) but was not sure if they could handle the output on the GSA with having accessories plugged in to it.

TA Steve

Yep. I’ll be going back to lithium when I next change for 2 reasons:

1) The weight savings are massive
2) Not having to put the bike on charge when it’s not in use. Over covid my old bike sat for 4 months unused and started on the second attempt, the first being used to wake the battery up
Think we're on the same page. I forgot about them holding their charge really well also .

If it can do another 4-5yrs liked this, then it will be on par and beyond regular battery

Thanks for the input guy's. I do have a lithium on a few of my other bikes (Trail and Race bikes) but was not sure if they could handle the output on the GSA with having accessories plugged in to it.

TA Steve
I have a couple of accessories running and my heated clothing is directly from the battery. Oh, bike is 1200 TC. They battery is way more than adequate

That is a good innings for the battery 47Steve, I also have the same GSA and the battery crapped out on me after 4 years. Replaced with a motobatt, just need to find a use for the spacer that the original battery used.

Back
Top Bottom