I have to ask. How noisey is this engine!

Bigcats

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning guys and gals.

So I have just purcashed my first BMW R1250gs Adventure Rallye (or HP whatever you want to call it) its 2019 with 3500miles and I have to say its way above what I was riding before when it comes to comfort and ride quality (Suzuki V Strom 1000XT) and I am loving the cruise control and decent heated grips etc.

However.

I am struggling with the noise and keep thinking something is wrong! Am I worrying for nothing??

Its from a BMW dealer and has 2 years warranty and full service history etc so I know I am covered but boy does it sound like a tractor.
It has had the left side tensioner replaced so no tapping
The current tyres are the anakee adventure and I have read they can very noisey when on the motorways (I am more of a Bridgestone battlax a41 kinda guy) so thats one noise I am happy can be solved (once I go to change them).
But its just, noisey. (I do not ride with ear plugs in when just riding around town)

Please put my mind at rest.

Hopefully will see more of you over time as I'm down in Portsmouth

Remember that the engine is fully exposed and not encased inside any fairings at all. There's nothing to soften the sound or noises from it. If it goes quiet, you've got an issue :D

if you dont like tyre noise do NOT go for the A41, conti trial attack 3 , or mich pr5 , much quieter

and yes they do sound like a tractor when hot and at a standstill

I'm just up the road from you in Fareham, mine is no better.

I have owned a string of GS's over the years and my 1250 is the rattliest bag of shit of them all, even after I fitted an uprated LH camchain tensioner. Much of it resonates up from the front of the engine via the fork cut outs/instrument cluster area.

It goes well though, uses no oil and is a joy to ride.

Continental Trail Attack 3's are also pretty quiet for a grippy road-focussed large trail bike tyre, the suit the GSA well.

Thank you guys for putting my mind at rest and your explanations are reassuring so I shall just keep an good supply of ear plugs.

Surprising to hear about the A41s though so I shall look at the conti attacks 3's seeing as a couple of you have now mentioned them. Always happy to learn from experience.

FWIW, my Yamaha Super Tenere came wearing Bridgestone A41s and, before I rode it, I wasn’t a fan of them, but over the next 8000 miles I found they were pretty damn good tyres and I felt they had been unfairly criticised and I would probably have them again. However, I have always loved Michelins and I fitted PR5 Trails and over the next 8000 miles they were brilliant, but I had to change them last week and there have been lots of stories on lots of different bike sites reporting issues with the Michelin PR6 which is disappointing, so I had Continental Trail Attack 3s fitted and initial impressions are are very good indeed.
One last thing, my mate has an R1250GS and he swears by Metzler RoadTec 01s, so something else for you to consider if you only do road based riding.

Like you i didn't like the noise at first, but have to say i now like it lol

like @DJ123 says... worry if it suddenly goes quiet :D

I also come from Suzuki V-Strom DL1000. I owned 3 of them in a row. Got brand new 1250GS in January 2021. For me, it was huge upgrade in every aspect. Changed OEM Michelin Anakee's quickly because of the rolling noise from the front and got that solved, Installed (on my own expense) upgraded chain tensioner. Installed Hex EzCan and love it. Used all the channels on it and would like to have few more...
Well, the only downside is, it sounds like a diesel car. When it gets out of warranty I'll try Motul engine oil as I have great experience with it from my V-Stroms and see if it gets any quiter.

FWIW, my Yamaha Super Tenere came wearing Bridgestone A41s and, before I rode it, I wasn’t a fan of them, but over the next 8000 miles I found they were pretty damn good tyres and I felt they had been unfairly criticised and I would probably have them again. However, I have always loved Michelins and I fitted PR5 Trails and over the next 8000 miles they were brilliant, but I had to change them last week and there have been lots of stories on lots of different bike sites reporting issues with the Michelin PR6 which is disappointing, so I had Continental Trail Attack 3s fitted and initial impressions are are very good indeed.
One last thing, my mate has an R1250GS and he swears by Metzler RoadTec 01s, so something else for you to consider if you only do road based riding.

Yeah I had them on my V Strom and loved them but I am different bike and all that so good to hear from someone else who has the conti's (which made me look at reviews and just reaffirms what you guys are saying)

Hi.
I have done a few BMW offroad days and there are usually 40 to 50 bikes during the event.
I have listened to lots of them and they all sound the same (and the same as my 2020 GS) with a noisy engine and left hand cylinder ticking.
I guess there is nothing to worry about ���� (or we are all screwed ����)

My GSA was noisier than my wifes GS.

At the 12000 mile service I’ve had the cams replaced due to pitting and the bike is now markedly quieter.

Get some miles on it and make sure you get the cams checked before warranty runs out :thumb

Cams and cam followers were pitted on mine and changed at 6500 miles. Engine is much quieter now.

Also, another vote for Conti TA3. Best tyres I have ever used for the road.

Thank you guys. It is reassuring that I'm not the only one

Boy do I enjoy riding it though....

Cams to be checked on the next service is now added to my list

Do not worry about it , the motor on my 2022 model r1250gsa with 4500 miles on the clock sounds like an old diesel tractor in comparison with my recently acquired 1999 r1150gs with 23,000 miles on the clock which sounds like a sewing machine at tick over .

That's progress for you

Do not worry about it , the motor on my 2022 model r1250gsa with 4500 miles on the clock sounds like an old diesel tractor in comparison with my recently acquired 1999 r1150gs with 23,000 miles on the clock which sounds like a sewing machine at tick over .

That's progress for you

I couldn’t live with that 1250, with a rattling engine

I've had two sets of A41's and they were fine for me grip wise but they both wore strange, the front before the rear. I moved to conti trial attack 3 following recommendations on here and i much prefer them.

Back
Top Bottom