MONTANA - The Last Best Place

Ahh Montana ,,, big Sky country that , best steak I have ever had was at A Barbeque on one of St Bilcos trips at Hungry Horse Montana .

Do it!!!
I drove 2,500 miles and every mile was like drinking nectar ............ that's sounds a bit wanky but you'll know what I mean :)

Still much more to see there as well!

I remember sitting having a beer with him on Sakhalin Island and we were talking about Montana, I asked endless questions and to one about wee beasties he replied they did had some mozzies in the summer. I said thank fuck and when he asked why I said it was because everything else sounded perfect, there had to be even just one small flaw.

i-VdD74zP-X2.jpg

Is that a buffalo or a bison?

I've never worked out how to tell the difference...

The only reason this road is so big is for the tourist traffic in summer oh and then it narrows down a bit and continues a short way up to the Canadian border

i-f3pXS2h-X2.jpg

Lucky for us the whole area is both at it's best and more importantly, virtually empty

i-tSs8zfn-X4.jpg

i-cRBcW3s-X2.jpg

i-PnqgvDK-X3.jpg

i-GkdrFg8-X3.jpg

No traffic in a place that just cannot feel the same when it's full of tourists

i-mTjDfJS-X2.jpg

I can still picture that can of Bear Spray in the outdoors shop where I got the gas for my Jet Boil

i-q8sF57M-X3.jpg

i-JRRKx2n-X4.jpg

i-n29FfmM-X3.jpg

At the top of the pass I go for a walk alone with 'them' never far away in my mind

i-gBDvJgT-X3.jpg

i-LxTDSz2-X4.jpg

i-VrnCS3H-X3.jpg

wikipedia said:
Bear spray is intended to deter an aggressive or charging bear; a user points the canister at an aggressive bear and sprays the contents for 2–3 seconds. The maximum range of sprays by different manufacturers varies, but they are reported to be effective when sprayed at a charging or aggressive bear from a distance of 1.5 to 3 meters (4 ft 11 in to 9 ft 10 in).

Far canal!

Polebridge....Polebridge.....? Ahh yes, Home Ranch Bottoms. We spent an interesting afternoon here in 2007 having driven up the dirt road in the rental Nissan Murano.

I borrowed the house guitar and sang Merle Haggard's "I am a Lonesome Fugitive" much to the delight of a guy who watched intently and said it was his father's favourite song.

https://www.homeranchbottomsmt.com

Looks fabulous, Tim.
It’s been on my to do list for some time , being a regular visitor to Seattle and Portland., and flying over some of the stunning scenery.
Might do do something similar in the next year or two with late Sept/early Oct looking a great time to go.

Blean Woods in Kent now have European bison roaming. No bears, as far as I know. Thankfully.

Daughter #2 and her husband were on a western US road trip a few years back. They went running one morning and came across a bear on the track. They turned around and ran...

Time to make another brew

i-mdx3KXf-X3.jpg

And take a walk

i-TZtc2jf-X4.jpg

I hear a rustling sound, what's that?

Feckity, feck, feckity feck, feck

Always one to get the photo.....

i-q8Smgpx-L.jpg

i-XKGxRp7-XL.jpg

i-63T533M-X2.jpg

Feck, feck I get back to the car to be greeted by Ange pissing herself laughing...very fecking funny!!

A few miles south of the Canadian border we turn away from the mountains as I like the look of this road, Duck Lake road.
Imagine this at sunset as we're looking West

i-8www555-X4.jpg

i-WStJZks-X3.jpg

I see dead coyotes by the roadside as we head back for the night.

Tomorrow we're going to move away from the mountains and have a look why it's the Big Sky state

i-4gWbtrh-X2.jpg

Proper SE territory that is :rolleyes:

Proper SE territory that is :rolleyes:

Oh yes, just wait till you see more of the gravel roads :)

But saying that and it's something we did talk about a lot, I think I saw and did more on this trip by not being on a bike.

Oh yes, just wait till you see more of the gravel roads :)

But saying that and it's something we did talk about a lot, I think I saw and did more on this trip by not being on a bike.

Makes sense, and that's with x 2 out of the comfort zone...travelling by car and ditching smokes :beerjug:

.... I think I saw and did more on this trip by not being on a bike.
I feel that too these days, plus you get to talk about the experiences 'real time' instead of at the end of each day.

When talking about a road trip I remember you saying many years ago, "in a car it's like watching a film, on a bike it's like being in the film", or something like that.... I guess we all start to view things differently as we mellow...

:::.Edit.::: found it, it was 16 years ago :)

I feel that too these days, plus you get to talk about the experiences 'real time' instead of at the end of each day.

When talking about a road trip I remember you saying many years ago, "in a car it's like watching a film, on a bike it's like being in the film", or something like that.... I guess we all start to view things differently as we mellow...

:::.Edit.::: found it, it was 16 years ago :)

No, I wrote for this trip not in general. :)

Back
Top Bottom