XR to V4S

Mullabrack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone moved from an S1000XR (2nd Gen) to a V4S? I’m on my 3rd XR and although my current one is only 9mths old I’m seriously tempted to make the switch now. Just curious what people’s thoughts are.

Ta

Just don't Buy a V4s and expect it to be good on fuel, my mate on his V4s was having to fill up a good 30-40 miles before myself on a Xr (gen1) i had both however there different models XR Gen 1 and V4pp so irrelevant.

Both great bikes

Try and ride one, then factor in dealer support

That’s what kinda worries me as I’m very comfortable with the BMW support available. Had another look yesterday and the exhaust side pannier on the Duke is a hideous shape and the official toolbox is best part of a grand with all the fitting kit. I already have 3 piece luggage for the XR so it certainly ain’t making financial sense on that front but hey ho, we don’t do things logically sometimes when it comes to bikes. The performance difference is really irrelevant as they are both stupid quick if required. Maybe it’s time to reconsider a GS again!!!

it certainly ain’t making financial sense on that front but hey ho, !!!

I don't think anyone buys a Ducati for financial sense, tho i could have sold my PP for £30k. The Gs is a great bike and does everything you ask from it, but the Ducati just feels special and the quality is deffo superior to the Gs in the same way the Xr quality is too.

I have the panniers and agree totally with what you say the right side is pretty pointless, you just have to rethink your packing.

I still maintain that the XR is the best bike BMW make and for for a do it all hooligan it is hard to beat

When I say do it all ...

Ride to the Picos on a GS and you will get there slightly more comfortably and have a great deal of fun in the mountains

Go on a XR and you will get there in reasonable comfort but have more fun in the mountains

This is where the Ducati MS V4 comes in as it will do both parts of that trip as a sum of the whole - it will get you there with the same comfort as the GS and give you the same fun in the mountains as the XR

Luggage wise strap a roll bag on or fit a Ventura kit ....

Just my 2p worth

Of course you could do the same trip on a Streetfighter and get there in some discomfort but destroy everything in your path in the mountains with the biggest smile on your face .....

It is a gorgeous looking bike, especially the Pikes Peak version, but I would be hesitant over the dealership. Explore that element too.

That’s what kinda worries me as I’m very comfortable with the BMW support available. Had another look yesterday and the exhaust side pannier on the Duke is a hideous shape and the official toolbox is best part of a grand with all the fitting kit. I already have 3 piece luggage for the XR so it certainly ain’t making financial sense on that front but hey ho, we don’t do things logically sometimes when it comes to bikes. The performance difference is really irrelevant as they are both stupid quick if required. Maybe it’s time to reconsider a GS again!!!

The luggage will sell very quickly with gen 2. I have been searching for a while and second hand market is bleak for the gen 2

Wait for the new 1300 GS and it might be best of all

I went for Givi’s more modern luggage panniers/top box/ inner bags set up on my gen 2 XR’s and I have to say it’s been excellent so I can hold on to it or it should be easy to sell. Roll bag is good but I need the box until my 15yr old boy gets his own wheels. Then my choices will be a lot more open.
The new Triumph is a nice bike to sit on but maybe just doesn’t feel as “special” as the BM or as a Ducati would.
The cubby hole on the tank of the Ducati is a bit useless as my iPhone doesn’t fit in it for charging and as it’s quite deep it’s hard to get anything small out of the bottom of it. It Ducati has an air of quality about it but then I never had any issues with my BM’s. (Luckily!)

It is a gorgeous looking bike, especially the Pikes Peak version, but I would be hesitant over the dealership. Explore that element too.

I found the dealer support very uncertain. Friends also less than impressed. Loved V4S and later a Pikes Peak. Good bikes but back to yet another GSA now.
Should add that I’d had a couple of XR’s in the past and enjoyed them. After a lengthy demo ride; the current model not so much.

Back
Top Bottom