Llangollen 2006 - Off-Road

Hi Simon,

I'll be up for the Llangollen weekend, and looking forward to an offroad trip. Didn't keep up with you last time (Cambrian Rally).

Cheers, Andy

Hi, I'm just quizzing, can anyone join in? and if so how much experience would be advised? I'm guessing 9 months & 1500 miles (total) could use a little more......... months and miles???? Cheers

andres said:
Hi Simon,

I'll be up for the Llangollen weekend, and looking forward to an offroad trip. Didn't keep up with you last time (Cambrian Rally).

Cheers, Andy

Andy,

Will be good to see you off road at Llangollen, where I'll (we'll) be going quite a lot slower than at the Cambrian, and probably we'll be falling off a lot more.

Bring a smile and some sandwiches.

Simon

Sax said:
Hi, I'm just quizzing, can anyone join in? and if so how much experience would be advised? I'm guessing 9 months & 1500 miles (total) could use a little more......... months and miles???? Cheers

Sax

Not really a question of miles or months - more about luck and/or past experience of something else similar (mountain biking?).

Last year Mouse was a novice and he flew round, give or take some skin off his nose (put the screen down!). You'll have more success if you can get both feet on the floor securely as a lot of the Llangollen ride is slow, rutted and muddy. You’d definitely need TKC80s or similar. You’ll need to be able to stand dropping your bike at low speeds onto mud.

The ride has lots of places where you can drop out if it turns out not to be ‘for you’ and there’ll be loads of people around to help you. Lots of stops for fags / catching breath and taking the p**s out of Dahoum / watching Casey do something daft ;-). Stay relaxed (if possible), don’t feel obliged to stand-up (easier to dab the floor when sat) and let your bike tow you through.

If you’ve got TKCs on the bike, come and have a go with us.

The photos on the thread below show the trickier techy bits. There are some more gravely bits too.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44093

C U there?

Simon

sorebums said:
Sax

Not really a question of miles or months - more about luck and/or past experience of something else similar (mountain biking?).

C U there?

Simon

Holy moly - was considering this weekend - but am now rushing off to think up excuses for not going. You can call me chicken....
I just about coped wiv Steptoe's tankgrounds - that looks like way too much muddy holes.

snodog said:
Holy moly - was considering this weekend - but am now rushing off to think up excuses for not going. You can call me chicken....
I just about coped wiv Steptoe's tankgrounds - that looks like way too much muddy holes.

It's all doable - just got to take it easy.

S

Hey HEy HEy

Bring it on I say.

Hmm, told myself no more off roading on the GS but may well just have to change my mind... Ohh go on then.

Whats this about me being banned???? not fault the GS ADV is a little bike?

Bushboy

sorebums said:
Sax

Lots of stops for fags / catching breath and taking the p**s out of Dahoum / watching Casey do something daft ;-). Simon

Oh har de f*cking har :spitfire

Sax - last year I'd only had the 1200 for 7 months (first GS) but had done the MBW off road course in the March. Not that they taught much about riding fekkin ruts though :D

Loads of support from all involved and really a fantastic (half) day. Lots of places you can dib out and ride back to camp via scenic Welsh roads though if like me you get so tired you just cant hold the bike up past 5 degrees off upright :rolleyes:

Room for one more ??? thats me pictured in post #27 ... courtesy of mouse or was it timolgra ? think id better make it clear that i was the only one that rode those ruts :rolleyes: , the other lightweights zoomed past on the grass :nono :p

cheers mike

michael d said:
Room for one more ??? thats me pictured in post #27 ... courtesy of mouse or was it timolgra ? think id better make it clear that i was the only one that rode those ruts :rolleyes: , the other lightweights zoomed past on the grass

Mike, would we do that and take the piss afterwards? :D :D

Ok so we did :eek:

Here's you in style then, taking the racing line :thumb

cheers Tim

Attachments

• wet.JPG
    wet.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 230
Silly Sod

I just didn't get round to booking a hotel room so I guess its camping........still us rugged outdoor chaps!!!! I might just try to squeeze into a hotel. The point is I am coming on this ride.

Fred the wet pussy :confused:

mavis cruet said:
planning to be there, cant remember what the going was like. is it suitable for a begginner on a yam tenere? i appologise for the swearing....... byeeeeeee.

Karl

Excellent, you're bringing a girlfriend and lending her your Tenere. I guess you'll be coming on your world thumping GS or your new HPN thingy - it would a shame not to give the HPN an airing.

The main point is to have knobblies as it'll be rutted and muddy - see last year's thread:

Look forward to seeing you all.

Simon
deliberately missing the point.

fredkat41 said:
I just didn't get round to booking a hotel room so I guess its camping........still us rugged outdoor chaps!!!! I might just try to squeeze into a hotel. The point is I am coming on this ride.

Fred the wet pussy :confused:

Don't be a wuss.. camping site is ok with hot showers... :thumb

mavis cruet said:
planning to be there, cant remember what the going was like. QUOTE]

Note cameraman has had to make a last minute dive to the left as Mavis approaches somewhat crossed up in 2002. Lots of body English there.
Now do you remember Karl.

Attachments

• mavis 3.jpg
    mavis 3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 161
Dirt Ride Route Tested and Photographed

Folks

Spout and I have just finished a test ride round this year's dirt route. Took us 4 and half hours at a leisurely pace, so we're guessing to add 2 or 3 hours onto that on the day with ciggy breaks, bike picking up breaks, indicator taping breaks, etc.

All of the snotty surfaces had hard footing below - all doable on any GS fitted with TKCs.

Here's a link to the photos so you can see what you're letting yourselves in for.

www.sorebums.net/Bike/Test Ride For 2006 Llangollen Dirt Ride - Sorebums and Spout/index.html

I'll posting details of where / when to meet, what to bring etc nearer the time.

Off to have a sleep now as I was up feeding the Oscar at 2.10am and 5.15am, before setting off with Spout at 7am - argh!!

TTFN

Simon

Great photos.
The water in that one rut looked really deep!
No TKs this year so its the road ride for me.

As Simon says, route shouldn't be a problem. Only things to watch out for are the usual GS loss of grip of the front wheel on grassy/soft soily going, and a climb on some blue slate rock outcrops that might be slippy if it's wet.
And that cow sh1t :eek:

Can't complain at the scenery though:

Attachments

• dsc05054.jpg
    dsc05054.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 99

Back
Top Bottom