Mounting a sat nav on my V85TT. Recommendations please.

OnHellas

Still trying.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking to mount my TomTom Rider on my V85TT.
I prefer to hard wire and avoid Ram Mounts.

I see that Givi do a bar that is for a phone mount above the clocks.
SW Motech do a neat mount that goes on the handlebar clamps.

Has anyone had any experience with either of those please. I like SW Motech products but it looks as though the clocks my become obscured? Is the Givi one up to the weight of a TomTom?

Other solutions welcome, not home made stuff though as I’m shit at that kind of thing.:augie

I replaced one of the handlebar clamp bolts with a bolt with a RAM ball on it. My Zumo XT mounts direct to that. It obscures a tiny bit of the clocks but is rock steady, easy to reach and see but not obscuring view down the road at all.

For power - the Zumo mount needs 12v - I tapped into the battery side supply to the usb adapter behind the clocks and ran the wires out the back of the clocks and then taped on to the various cables from left of the bars with a short little pig tail to the mount. Neat and reliable.

If your mount can run on 5v I would just use the usb adapter by the clocks but do try and remember to unplug it if the bike is left out in rain or when washing it. It’s ok riding in rain - I charge my phone this way. The other easy source of power is the plug on the right side of the tool tray. It’s 12v. You’ll need to make or buy a superseal connector and run the wires under the tank to join the clutch and other cables on the right of the headstock. No need to fully remove the tank - just loosen everything holding it down and dislodge it a bit to the left you will get access to several bits of frame and brackets to cable tie the wires to. There’s some plastic covers in the headstock area so get the wires under those for a nice neat finish.

Good luck.

I've got the copy of the Givi one. Mine's an Aliexpress special, and I don't think it's as good as the Givi one. However it does the job. It definitely does not obscure your vision of the clocks... I use my NAV6 and a Garmin Zumo so I bought a BMW 4-button cradle to I can swap NAV's between my GS, my Guzzi, and my CRF300...

Linky to the cheapy chinky one I bought - it has been on the bike for almost 10000 miles tho and still going strong:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001474878568.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.53cb56d91Cbrqu

The GPS cradle is wired back to a wiring block on mine that's under the seat. It all runs off the switched live that's there next to the battery (through a relay). That wiring block also powers my Denali S4's via a Skene IQ-275 which allows me to dim the Denali's to use in daytime as DRL's (I run 30% intensity all the time unless on full beam then it's 100%). I also power my heated gloves from there in winter...hence the relay.

Anyway, long story short, I like the NAV where it is, and the wiring connects to the under-seat switched-live... If you only ran the GPS from that switched live, you would probably not need the relay, just plug straight in

Best pic I can find...

Attachments

• windermere 26 feb 2022 console.jpg
    windermere 26 feb 2022 console.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 192
Can't seem to get the linky to the cheapy chinky nav mount to work...it's this one:

Attachments

• aliexpress sat nav mount.jpg
    aliexpress sat nav mount.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for the replies and info.
I think that the Givi/Aliexpres route looks like the favourite to me.
Convincing my Guzzi hating bike mechanic mate to wire it in is the next challenge. He said my bike was on his NFI list.

Because I have a spare BMW Nav 5, I mounted the BMW sat nav mount using 1 ram extension on my Griso, and hard wired it into the bike. Rock steady, and doesn't obscure anything.
The Ram ball is located on the top left bar bolt, which I happened to have from another bike.

I like this method, I’ve used it on several different bikes and it is rock solid, no wobbling at all. The only downside for some may be that it is money ted fairly low, although you could use a longer RAM arm on it.

http://www.telferizer.com/

Back
Top Bottom