790 Adv

Redboots

Member well-known
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a new-to-me 790.
Anything in particular to look out for?

Its a 2019 with 6500kms (so nothing at all) on the clock. Very clean.
It does have an aftermarket can on it though. I don't know, yet, if the original is available.

TIA

New one for 2023 looking good.

a new Americanism bullshit creeping in for 2023, instead of ‘colours’ it’s now ‘colour ways’!

Attachments

• 2500E631-2B0D-431E-9326-C5BEF952BFE8.jpg
    2500E631-2B0D-431E-9326-C5BEF952BFE8.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 344
It does look good/better but I'm not in that price bracket.

This'll do me. (the box will go though)

Attachments

• 790k.jpg
    790k.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 337
Looks good Redboots , I agree about the box, I use a kreiga small tailpack on my 690 which looks ok on the bike and works for a bottle of water and a lock.

I roadtested one about 18 months ago and really wanted to like it as it did everything, what put me off was the buffeting which was horrible over about 60mph, so much so that it stopped me riding faster.

The screen was std and was in the low position and I didn’t have the tools to adjust it so I took it back to the dealer and tried a 1290 which I didn’t think I’d like but did, just not enough to swap the 1250 GS and a wedge of cash for.

When I mentioned the buffeting the dealer said lots of people didn’t get in with it for that reason which begs the question as to why they didn’t put the screen in the high position or fit an aftermarket screen?

I’m sure it could be fixed fairly easily but it might be worth a quick google.

The Yanks have put a lot effort into solving the buffeting, and it seem it down to the handguards, and the way they deflect the wind round the rider
On my Husky 901 (Basically the same bike) I've fitted Barkbuster Storms which has solved the problem, whether I'm using a high or standard screen

I bought a new 790 in 2020. Have now done 14,000 miles on it and love it far more than I ever thought I would. So much so that my GSA1200 is going in the spring. The only issue I had was a blown rear shock, 3 weeks after the warranty expired and its service at the dealer. KTM supplied a new one as a goodwill gesture, I wasn't expecting that!

I'm 5'11" and suffered from a lot of buffering. A Puig deflector solved it instantly and I get none at all now. I also swapped the hand-guards for the KTM wraparounds (unbranded Barkbusters, and actually cheaper). This was my set-up on a camping trip in the Pyrenees in May.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 267
I roadtested one about 18 months ago and really wanted to like it as it did everything, what put me off was the buffeting which was horrible over about 60mph,

When I rode it home, anything over about 115kph was lifting my visor and a lot of buffeting. It was a windy day!
I have since moved it to the high position and the problem seems to have disappeared, at least up to 150kph.

On a different subject, anyone used the ChargerCity Adapter to mount their GPS?
I was wondering if the threaded collar was up to the job, as in, holding its position.
Being a tightwad, I ordered the NiceCNC alloy bracket, at €22, rather that the, ihmo, expensive pucker jobbie.

I have just sold my 2020 790 Adventure R - only reason for selling is that I have a new 2023 890 Adventure R ordered. The only issues that I had with mine has been QS not working (didn’t realise until 1st service which they sorted for me) one sticking rad fan (replaced under warranty) and my method regarding the buffeting (even with a Arai peaked lid I never found it that bad) was to remove the mirrors and replace with the Rottweiler hand guard mounted ones which then improved things. Great all-round bikes in my view and I certainly would not be ordering the newer model if I had serious issues. I fitted the Powerparts low seat and found that comfortable even when doing 300km in a day although the standard seat was certainly the better option off road despite my 5’9” and 29” inside leg. Buy it and enjoy it is my view

Replacing the original silencer/cat today, I took of the sump guard and the tank covers.
Under the right tank cover there is a lose pipe with air written on it.
Does it just "float" about or should it be plugged into something?

Edit:
Doh. Look and Yee shall find. Plugs into the tank "protector"

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 121
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 108

Back
Top Bottom