Bodywork bolts

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have searched and searched but I can't find it. Someone posted up a link to an ebay seller who has the correct allen screws for our bodywork. Fitting my new battery I have dropped 3 of them and try as I might I can't find them amongst the gravel, so I am just going to order a pack of 10, if I can find the things again... can anyone help me with what they are called and the size please? I know different 'bolts' have got different correct names for their slight differences. To me they are just 'bolts'. :thumby:

Can't help with sizes ime afraid, but via you go onto MAX BMW, it will bring up a parts fiche, may have the details you need.

They are 316 stainless!

Ah.... That might not help then.

Ps... Mind you, I have a full stainless fasteners set for my old 1150 in the garage, still in packets and I've just tried it with a magnet and it's certainly magnetic.

Ah.... That might not help then.

Ps... Mind you, I have a full stainless fasteners set for my old 1150 in the garage, still in packets and I've just tried it with a magnet and it's certainly magnetic.

That is a contradiction in terms, if they are magnetic, they certainly aren't stainless, not proper stainless. Either that, or there is something else magnetic in the packet.

Can't help with sizes ime afraid, but via you go onto MAX BMW, it will bring up a parts fiche, may have the details you need.

Thanks Ferret. I still haven't been over to Shropshire! X Challenge will be a couple of months before it is back together. X Country doesn't have muddy lane tyres, only tarmac ones, a bit of hard packed gravel would be OK but anything beyond that is out of the question.

From what I remember there is Austenitic Stainless, which is non magnetic, and Ferritic Stainless, which is. It’s all to do with the crystalline structure and the percentages of chromium and nickel- austenitic has more. Phew, if that’s right I can’t be too far down the dementia road:D

King Rat did you find a source for bodywork bolts? Just been starting to strip off the panels on mine and already found a missing bolt on the central plastic tank piece and am now expecting to find a few more as I progress. I'll give Motorworks a call and Westfield Fasteners, but useful to know if you have found somewhere to supply

King Rat did you find a source for bodywork bolts? Just been starting to strip off the panels on mine and already found a missing bolt on the central plastic tank piece and am now expecting to find a few more as I progress. I'll give Motorworks a call and Westfield Fasteners, but useful to know if you have found somewhere to supply

I haven't done anymore about it to be honest. They seem to be a fairly common fairing/panel fastner though. Once I know the dimensions, by taking one out and measuring it.... it should be a fairly simple search.

LH side panel cover has a longer allen bolt than the same on the RHS. Is this normal or is it a random bolt or maybe one that should live elsewhere and been fitted back in the wrong place....its got the shoulder like the others but the threaded part is about twice as long

Seems my bike has lots of bodywork bolts that differ from what I expected - Old Mechanic has mainly 8mm hex head and a few torx fittings, I have all philips screw fixings around airbox. Not sure if this was just BMW or Aprilia using what was around at the time (like other Italians) or whether previous owner has changed original fixings.

Back
Top Bottom