Black Forest Route Suggestions?

Flashman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A small group of us are looking to ride to the Black Forest and back over 6 days in September 2023 and possibly take in a lap of the Nurburgring enroute.
I would be most grateful for any suggestions regarding recommended routes….. We shall be travelling down from North Wales to Folkestone and going via the Eurotunnel to Calais so a relatively short first ride distance from Calais would be envisaged.
All recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

=====

Edited title. Separate thread started for accommodation.

Edited request, too.

Richard

If you search through this section of the site then you will find everything you need I think.

I did look in the section I posted the thread but there appeared to be no information, unless I’m looking in the wrong place?

A small group of us are looking to ride to the Black Forest and back over 6 days in September 2023 and possibly take in a lap of the Nurburgring enroute.
I would be most grateful for any suggestions regarding recommended routes and accommodation. We shall be travelling down from North Wales to Folkestone and going via the Eurotunnel to Calais so a relatively short first ride distance from Calais would be envisaged.
All recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you search through this section of the site then you will find everything you need I think.

I did look in the section I posted the thread but there appeared to be no information, unless I’m looking in the wrong place?

You maybe need some help from your small group, when it comes to the looking department:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/557101-Black-Forest-Alsace-and-Vosges

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...in-Black-Forest-Baden-Baden-Freudenstadt-Calw

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...cky’s-piss-Part-3-Black-looks-from-the-forest

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ack-Forest-Alsace-and-Vosges-and-some-extra-s

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/548956-Black-Forest

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/536105-Best-black-forest-and-region-map

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/525178-A-nice-Black-Forest-route

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/532762-Just-a-smidge-north-of-the-Black-Forest

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/443863-Black-Forest

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/416452-Germany-calling

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/509083-Black-Forest-and-Vosges

I guess you also looking for a route (or routes) to get you and your small group from Calais to the Black Forest (via the ‘ring) and back again, too? In short, you would like everything planned for you all? To give you an idea, Simon Weir charges £150 for providing exactly what you are asking for.

https://www.simonweir.co.uk/tour-blackforestvosges

Weir charges more (obviously) if you request something more bespoke, like hotels, deviations off to the ‘ring etc. Why? Because it takes time and effort, if he is to do it properly.

Though RiDE magazine (umpteen links to them in this section) - where Weir used to be the editor - will give you and your chums some pretty good ideas for free. Here’s a starter:

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-content/baden-wurttemberg

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/tour-2018

You’ll need to scroll down a bit (ie look) to find the Black Forest:

Pfalzerwald Tour (Germany)

Day one

Calais to Montherme Distance: 195 miles Riding time: 5 hours Download GPX file

Day two

Montherme to Bitche Distance: 220 miles Riding time: 6 hours Download GPX file

Day three

Bitche to Frankenstein Distance: 180 miles Riding time: 5.5 hours Download GPX file

Day four

Frankenstein to Spa Distance: 185 miles Riding time: 5 hours Download GPX file

Day five

Spa to Calais Distance: 240 miles Riding time: 5 hours Download GPX file

Other German forests

Black Forest route 1

Start/Finish: Baden-Baden Distance: 225 miles Riding time: 7 hours Download GPX file

Black Forest route 2

Start/Finish: Frieburg Distance: 190 miles Riding time: 5.5 hours Download GPX file

As for hotels, there is a dedicated sub-section of UKGSer’s tip-top travel section. I’ll start you something there.

Now we come to the really important bit. We do not know what your: “….to ride to the Black Forest and back over 6 days in September 2023” means. For example, does it include the day to get from I assume north Wales to Calais and the day getting back again? If so, you are now down to four days to go Calais, via the ‘ring to the Black Forest (to hoon about) and then get back to Calais.

Can you be a bit clearer, please.

In short, how many days have you got available between leaving Calais and arriving back there? That might well dictate what route(s) you take, how long you spend ripping up the ‘ring and how long you spend chilling or hooning in the Black Forest.

PS At least you didn’t leave it to the last minute, like some who wake up and suddenly realise that they and their six mates are off tomorrow. It happens quite a lot on these pages.

:beerjug:

Indeed Wapping is your expert on this one. We have done a couple of trips to the Black Forest in the Covid times when Germany was a bit more open that other countries. Travelling from NL is slightly different than UK. Tunnel is fine although ferry from Harwich is another good option as by taking the overnight ferry you don't lose and time are pretty close to the Eifel from Rotterdam area. I have a link to the pages on my amateur website which also has routes and overnight stays. Happy to assist further if required but I'd take a good look at what Wapping has posted above. Black Forest Hotels are plentiful. We stayed in Todtmoos which was a great base from where to tour. Also have some tours of the Eifel for the Nurburg Ring if wanted.
https://www.motorbiketours.net/germany1

Thank you all very much indeed for your swift & informative replies. I originally viewed this forum section on my phone which didn't give all the posts in the "Alps, Black Forest and Dolomites" section for which I apologise if I wasted your time.
I now have loads of post reading to plan our trip and I am truly obliged for your help.

Special thanks to Wapping, your assistance has been invaluable.

PS We do not know whether your: “….to ride to the Black Forest and back over 6 days in September 2023” includes the day to get from I assume Wales to Calais and the day getting back again? If so, you are now down to four days to go Calais, via the ‘ring to the Black Forest (to hoon about) and then get back to Calais. Can you be a bit clearer, please. In short, how many days have you got available between leaving Calais and arriving back there? That might well dictate what route(s) you take, how long you spend ripping up the ‘ring and how long you spend chilling or hooning in the Black Forest.

The planned 6 days is including a day at either end for routing home to North Wales. However, we are flexible on this and could add another day on the end if required. Our initial thoughts were to get ourselves to the Nurburgring area on Day 1 and overnight in that area. Day 2 would be an early lap of the Ring and then head towards the Black Forest with an overnight stop somewhere enroute. Days 3 & 4 spent in the Black Forest area, Day 5 heading towards the Eurotunnel with an overnight stop somewhere enroute. Day 6 would be heading home to North Wales.

With the links everyone has posted, I will certainly be able to come up with a more detailed plan now. Thanks again :)

Black Forest Route/Accommodation Suggestions?

Indeed Wapping is your expert on this one…..

I am far from being an expert, trust me. What I do like doing is looking at what is free on the internet (or downloadable for a few pennies) and then keeping a note of things of interest. Using UKGSer has also been a good library to keep things in, one of the reasons why I try to share what I find.

What experience I might have comes from:

A. Having ridden or driven around chunks of Western Europe, getting me used to how long it might take me to go from A to B to C and back again. This thread is a prime example…. How long has the fellow really got for his A to B to C to A jaunt?

B. Having a bit of imagination as to where to find out ‘stuff’. It doesn’t bother me that much of the ‘stuff’ is in a foreign language, as a map is a map is a map and a picture is a picture. That Google will now translate ‘stuff’ fairly well is just a bonus.

C. Not being afraid to try something, as that is the only way to learn. Yes, I make mistakes. Yes, I have ground through the city of Nancy in the height of summer in a traffic jam, instead of looping past on the motorway. Yes, I have got my Blackbird stuck on a near vertical footpath, which I mistook for a road. I was stuck and had to perform a multi-point turn to inch it around, one slip sending it and me into a heap. But that is a part of the fun, at least when it’s over.

D. Having learnt lots of confidence from my father, who travelled all around France, Germany, Italy and Spain from about 1945 (when he was about 18) onwards, well into his early 80’s with nothing more than a paper map and a Green Michelin guide book. He never touched a computer in his life and never owned a mobile phone. If he could do it, so could I….. and so can anyone. One of the best pictures I have is of my mother, ‘cooking’ , on a gas ring in the boot of a Morris Minor, somewhere in the Dolomites on their honeymoon in the mid-50’s. Today, bods worry if a hotel is going to be friendly and, if it is, want to be told how to get there. The same bods on this forum then accuse today’s teenagers of lacking imagination and go.

This thread is a classic example. Calais to the Black Forest, via the ‘ring is (taking non-motorway routes) about 500 miles. The fellow and his friends wants, if I read it correctly, routes and hotels (possibly there and back) and roads to ride when they are there. In all, that could be well over 1,000 miles. We already, just in a few posts, have hotels dotted about all over the place, with no idea on how they might be joined up or even if the fellow (and his mates) will find themselves anywhere near any of them; not helped as we have no idea how long he and friends has available to make the journey.

The internet has made lots of things really easy. But in making it easy, it has somehow made it really hard.

Thank you for the reply.

The planned 6 days is including a day at either end for routing home to North Wales.

I am probably being thick but just so we are sure, are you saying that:

1. The six days available includes all the riding from north Wales to Calais, to the ‘ring, on to the Black Forest, then from there to Calais and back to north Wales, or

2. The six days excludes these two days ie. that you have in total eight days in all, to go: North Wales > Calais > ‘ring > Black Forest > Calais > north Wales?

I ask again only because the number of full days you have on the mainland of Europe between first arriving in Calais and departing from Calais back to home, might well dictate the options available to you. If it’s six full days, it’s one thing but if it’s only four, it’s another.

I am a big believer in cheating. Or, putting it another way, getting instant help from the internet tools available.

Here is two ideas of possible, non-motorway routes from Calais to the ‘ring to Baden-Baden, at the top of the Black Forest. Note: It’s a decent schlep from the top of the Black Forest to the bottom.

5a21ebf156f49eb982fa5d5e3b90cc44.png

9f486cfc79140fa4dca2e072a4ec8a1e.png

With these you can start to play around. Kurviger (in the paid for version) is very good at splitting routes:

cdef0109f3370e977d390c78bdd198b9.png

You can maybe see that in the last picture it gets closer to the ViaMichelin suggestion but I routed it via the motorway between Calais and Cambrai and plonked in St Vith, just to create a straighter line between getting off the motorway at Cambrai before heading across country to the ‘ring.

Now some practical advice:

A. The ‘ring is not open every day, though you can watch (if that is your thing) on most days. Check the calendar.

B. You’ll need to decide, if not at the ‘ring itself, where to stay. Some recommendations on UKGSer might see your riding the thick end of a morning just to get to the ‘ring entrance. That is before you have even parked up and bought your ticket to hoon around it or walked to your chosen viewing spot.

Best advice about going to the Black Forest is…….

Go to Spain.

Freiburg is a must…so to speak the capital of the Black Forest.. great for accommodation and plenty of food
..it’s a university city and in the summer you got more outside cafes and stalls then you can count..
Good spot to use as a base as well, Schauinsland right on your door step, cruising over to Elsass in the morning and do the tour de Crete…
Eat in France and back to Freiburg…
Great places to see and stay…enjoy

the road south of Freiburg over Schauinsland to Todtnau is indeed a cracker. OP needs to note that sections of this road are closed to motorcycles at weekends, like quite a few in the hilly bits of Germany. It would be good for the OP to ensure the free days in the Black Forest are weekdays as most roads will be open and a lot quieter.

I led a week tour of the Black Forest last May with a group of 13 bikes.

From the tunnel, we stayed the first night in Verdun at Hotel les Colombes, which is very cheap, clean and a bit shit. But has secure underground parking for the bikes, two boulangeries across the road where you get a French breakfast of a coffee and croissant for €2. It's also very close to the river, which has loads of bars and restaurants to choose from.

Second day was down to Villingen-Schwenningen-Schwenningen where we stayed for three nights at the Central Hotel, which is excellent and run by an Irish-German couple (Ronan & Jutta), so perfect English, secure parking, breakfast included. This is a really good base location as you do a few circuit routes in different directions. Some good Biergartens and other restaurants/bars in the town for the evening.

One route was over to Freiburg via the ski resorts for some amazing roads through the forest up to the mountain tops, then up to the Schauinsland cable car which is a lot of fun as mentioned above, then back across to Titisee and other lakes.

Another shorter day spending time doing a bit of culture at Hohenzollern castle, then on to Koblenz.

Last day from V-S, up the B500 - avoiding most of it to take nicer roads off to the side and then back again. Ending up in Sankt Ingbert to stay at the Alfa hotel there, which I highly recommend. Especially for the Monty-Pythonesque family that own and operate it.

Then up to Mons, stayed in the Van de Vale hotel there, which is a little pricey, but lovely for a last night - especially if you have friends in Mons to join you for dinner.

Then finally a short leg up to the tunnel and home again.

PM me if you want me to send you some proven GPX routes. We had an excellent time and I doing another trip there for 2023.

the road south of Freiburg over Schauinsland to Todtnau is indeed a cracker. OP needs to note that sections of this road are closed to motorcycles at weekends, like quite a few in the hilly bits of Germany. It would be good for the OP to ensure the free days in the Black Forest are weekdays as most roads will be open and a lot quieter.

Exactly this. Travel down over the weekend so your time in the forest area is mid-week. And watch out for speed cameras as you go through some of the little villages. Garmin with live updates will help you here.

Best advice about going to the Black Forest is…….

Go to Spain.

even better, do like I did this year, go to the Black Forest in May and go to Spain in September.

with the OP having just 6 days, the Black Forest is in range but not really long enough away to enjoy Spain, even using the ferry as this loses 2 days and increases the cost substantially

Is going to spend a morning at the ‘ring, a must do? Or was it just tacked in, as someone told you it’s so a must do, should you be in that part of Germany for a day or two? Things, at least in my world, rarely ‘Take a morning’, when there is a bunch of you.

In other words, what is the real purpose of your holiday?

I led a week tour of the Black Forest….

PM me if you want me to send you some proven GPX routes. We had an excellent time and I doing another trip there for 2023.

Can you host to routes on the Cloud and spare the link here, as I am sure they would be helpful to others.

Indeed Wapping is your expert on this one. We have done a couple of trips to the Black Forest in the Covid times when Germany was a bit more open that other countries. Travelling from NL is slightly different than UK. Tunnel is fine although ferry from Harwich is another good option as by taking the overnight ferry you don't lose and time are pretty close to the Eifel from Rotterdam area. I have a link to the pages on my amateur website which also has routes and overnight stays. Happy to assist further if required but I'd take a good look at what Wapping has posted above. Black Forest Hotels are plentiful. We stayed in Todtmoos which was a great base from where to tour. Also have some tours of the Eifel for the Nurburg Ring if wanted.
https://www.motorbiketours.net/germany1

Nice link grant. very eye friendly site. Enjoyed that.:thumb2

OP, when you start mucking around with the routes, you can see where things start to happen. Here’s an example:

7561b6ef9779e5db2bc3995eaf4c2725.png

You can see that taking in the ‘ring for a morning (if that is all it is) puts a bulge into what would otherwise be nearly a straight line between Calais to Baden Baden, shown in red. That bulge is fine, if you have time.

The blue line is an alternative loop, to bring you into the Black Forest but well below Baden Baden, which is right at the top.

Everything hinges on you, your friends and time / distance.

I am probably being thick but just so we are sure, are you saying that:

1. The six days available includes all the riding from north Wales to Calais, to the ‘ring, on to the Black Forest, then from there to Calais and back to north Wales, or

2. The six days excludes these two days ie. that you have in total eight days in all, to go: North Wales > Calais > ‘ring > Black Forest > Calais > north Wales?

I ask again only because the number of full days you have on the mainland of Europe between first arriving in Calais and departing from Calais back to home, might well dictate the options available to you. If it’s six full days, it’s one thing but if it’s only four, it’s another.

I am a big believer in cheating. Or, putting it another way, getting instant help from the internet tools available.

Here is two ideas of possible, non-motorway routes from Calais to the ‘ring to Baden-Baden, at the top of the Black Forest. Note: It’s a decent schlep from the top of the Black Forest to the bottom.

Thanks again Wapping for your suggestions and assistance. Days 1 and 6 will be travel days from North Wales to mainland Europe and from mainland Europe to North Wales. Long stretches we know.

Is going to spend a morning at the ‘ring, a must do? Or was it just tacked in, as someone told you it’s so a must do, should you be in that part of Germany for a day or two? Things, at least in my world, rarely ‘Take a morning’, when there is a bunch of you.

In other words, what is the real purpose of your holiday?

Your point regarding the Nurburgring is taken onboard. The Ring was just a tick box thing anyway and an "add on" to the trip. The real objectives are to enjoy some German culture, beer, food and some excellent Black Forest roads & scenery. oh and cake! With your advice, we'll now drop the Ring from our plan.

Thanks again everybody for your sage advice.

Thanks for the advice wessie. Our plan is to travel out from UK in September, departing on a Sunday and returning the following Saturday. This will hopefully, see us enjoying relatively quiet roads in the Black Forest.

Back
Top Bottom