Calais to ‘ring to Black Forest Accommodation Suggestions?

Flashman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A small group of us are looking to ride to the Black Forest and back over 6 days in September 2023 and possibly take in a lap of the Nurburgring enroute.
I would be most grateful for any suggestions regarding recommended…. accommodation. We shall be travelling down from North Wales to Folkestone and going via the Eurotunnel to Calais so a relatively short first ride distance from Calais would be envisaged.
All recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you want to keep the price down, try pension William in Seebach.

this place was excellent last May for a group of 5 for 3 nights. Covered parking for the bikes. http://hotel-adler-buehlertal.de/

it's in Buhlertal in the Baden wine region not far from the River Rhine and B500. This means you have the option to ride in the Black Forest or cross the Rhine into Alsace & the Vosges mountains depending on weather and mood. Village setting with a small centre nearby with bank, kebab shop, bakery and a rather nice Greek restaurant (we used this on the one night the hotel restaurant closes). A few of the Rhine crossings are ferries which are free and very quick to add a bit of excitement.

Freiburg is a must…so to speak the capital of the Black Forest.. great for accommodation and plenty of food
..it’s a university city and in the summer you got more outside cafes and stalls then you can count..
Good spot to use as a base as well, Schauinsland right on your door step, cruising over to Elsass in the morning and do the tour de Crete…
Eat in France and back to Freiburg…
Great places to see and stay…enjoy

The truth is, there are hundreds of good hotels in the Black Forest, not least as it’s a hugely popular - and geographically huge - tourist area, not just catering for bods on motorbikes.

You will find anything from Five Star spa luxury (if that’s you thing) through to small family run pensions in the back woods and everything in between. All of them will be as friendly to people arriving on two wheels as someone arriving on four or on foot. Some will cater almost exclusively for motorbikes and bods on pushbikes but that is sometimes just a marketing ploy and nothing else, perhaps to disguise a hotel that is not great and sometimes in not so great a spot.

As to where to stay on your 800 mile round trip? That, as your other thread shows, will very much depend on where you might be on any given night, I guess.

My tip. Work out where you might well be on nights 1, 2, 3….. 5 and just ask Google to list hotels nearby. Then chose the one you like. Do consider booking though. A friend is looking to go to Vianden in May. The hotel I recommended turns out to have no vacancies in May or June 2023. It’s sold out already.

If you want to keep the price down, try pension William in Seebach.

Thanks stever1. Booked. Close to B500 and ideal base to do a route to the north one day and a route to the south the next day. Are there any decent bars in the village?

Yes there are.
As you walk downhill towards the village centre you take a right down a footpath and come to a nice bar, continue walking to the end of the path and your nearly at the restaurant.

Yes there are.
As you walk downhill towards the village centre you take a right down a footpath and come to a nice bar, continue walking to the end of the path and your nearly at the restaurant.

Great, thanks :)

Thanks stever1. Booked. Close to B500 and ideal base to do a route to the north one day and a route to the south the next day. Are there any decent bars in the village?

If you ask the owner of Pension Williams nicely, he'll be more than happy to drive you up the road to a wonderful Steakhouse/"pub" AND fetch you back when you've had enough. Best steak I've ever had.

If you ask the owner of Pension Williams nicely, he'll be more than happy to drive you up the road to a wonderful Steakhouse/"pub" AND fetch you back when you've had enough. Best steak I've ever had.

Thanks Tinytim. I'll check that out when we get there. You can't beat a good steak!

Probably a bit further South than you want, but this place is truly excellent:

https://www.rothaus.de/en-welcome-to-rothaus

It's the Rothaus Brewery. It has a lovely hotel and restaurant attached. You can get a brewery tour and gorge yourself on their lovely Tannenzapfle pilsner. Very close to the Southern end of the B500 as well.

I had the misfortune to lose a wheel bearing nearby a few years back and had to wait there for the recovery truck. Best breakdown ever.

A group of us travelled to the Black Forest last year, and on the second day we went from Barden-Barden down the B500 to our hotel in St Blasien. They could not do enough for us, on the first night the restaurant was close but they had booked us into another restaurants and she took us there, I could go on how helpful they were.
It does have motorbike safe parking.
Hotel Bellevue, Am Kalvarienberg 19, 79837 St. Blasien
https://hotel-bellevue-schwarzwald.de/
Enjoy your trip
Bernie

Thanks all for your tips & advice. We have booked ourselves into IBIS Reims for the route to the Black Forest and our plan is to stay at Pension-Williams in Seebach for several days. Seebach is fairly central in the National Park, close to the B500 and gives the option to explore routes in all directions from there. Our return journey is via Luxembourg to IBIS Mons. Can't wait!

Thanks all for your tips & advice. We have booked ourselves into IBIS Reims for the route to the Black Forest and our plan is to stay at Pension-Williams in Seebach for several days. Seebach is fairly central in the National Park, close to the B500 and gives the option to explore routes in all directions from there. Our return journey is via Luxembourg to IBIS Mons. Can't wait!

one of my favourite places to visit. If you go to the ring you should get a ride round in a ring taxi. Brilliant experiance.

Back
Top Bottom