Which Free Anti Virus Software?

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What’s the recommended best free anti virus software for a Dell Inspiron laptop then? :nenau

if it is running Windows 10 then use the integral one built in by Microsoft and let it auto-update

if it is running Windows 10 then use the integral one built in by Microsoft and let it auto-update

Oh ok ta. I have no idea what it’s running. I hardly ever use it but it’s less than 5 years old. :thumb2

Edit, just looked and it’s running windows 10. There’s a windows 10 updater thingy that’s up to date.
Strangely I’ve just had a pop up telling me my McAfee subscription has lapsed ( hence my original question ) and near the bottom it says Microsoft Defender Antivirus will be defending it! :blast
Hey ho, I should’ve waited 24 hours! :D
Cheers. :thumb2

Oh ok ta. I have no idea what it’s running. I hardly ever use it but it’s less than 5 years old. :thumb2

Edit, just looked and it’s running windows 10. There’s a windows 10 updater thingy that’s up to date.
Strangely I’ve just had a pop up telling me my McAfee subscription has lapsed ( hence my original question ) and near the bottom it says Microsoft Defender Antivirus will be defending it! :blast
Hey ho, I should’ve waited 24 hours! :D
Cheers. :thumb2

now uninstall that McAfee bloatware which will still be slowing down the laptop as it boots up and tells you to renew the sub, every day.

now uninstall that McAfee bloatware which will still be slowing down the laptop as it boots up and tells you to renew the sub, every day.

What Wessie says.......might be worth an internet search on the removal. Things may have changed but Avast and Norton uninstalls are not always full uninstalls
Used Windows anti virus for years , no issues
Got MalwareBytes with a 6 year end date free from my bank, which I no longer bank with, but it's still works,scans and updates

On top of using MS built in malware scanners, check out the other windows security config options as by default they arent at thier more robust setting. But also get a VPN such as 1.1.1.1 from Cloudflare https://1.1.1.1/ (or similar) . This does 2(.5) jobs of 1 protecting your internet requests from snooping and 2 if you decide to (via DNS settings in the 1.1.1.1 app) it will block requests to access known malware websites and or block adult content (if your not that way inclined) .

Last edited:

IObit has a nice free tool for uninstalling stuff and searching for legacy bits and bobs cluttering up the system - pay the sub for more features, I don't just use the free version.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.iobit.com

What Wessie says.......might be worth an internet search on the removal. Things may have changed but Avast and Norton uninstalls are not always full uninstalls
Used Windows anti virus for years , no issues
Got MalwareBytes with a 6 year end date free from my bank, which I no longer bank with, but it's still works,scans and updates

Yes, definitely recommend Malwerbytes. There is a free version of it too. Limited in some aspects but still worth it. If I remember the full version comes as a trial for 14 days

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom