Litelok products

Wapping

Reaction score
Living as I do in central London, it’s a good idea to have some decent security. Not the full blown fortress affair (at a cost of potentially thousands) but just enough, should the thieves move my alarmed and tracked car enough to open the security bolted garage door, to delay them sufficiently to hopefully send them away empty handed.

Having read some half decent reviews (and already possessing some pretty good chain locks) I bought myself a Litelok Core Moto 150 cm lock.

Thoughts:

1. It is lighter, apparently, than a similar length chain. I haven’t been anal enough to weigh them, nor will I bother to.

2. It is well made, for sure. That it locks without a key, is a (maybe) a nice touch.

3. It is still bloody heavy at 3.4 kg

4. Due to its construction, it coils up much larger than a similar quality chain.

5. I think it’s too heavy / unwieldy to carry on a trip or even commuting on a regular basis but it would be very good for a fixed spot, like a garage at home. I can’t fit it too easily into the large top box on my 1600 and it’s a tight fit, even on the pillion seat.

6. Comes with three keys.

I also bought a Litelok One Moto, just to compare the two.

Thoughts:

1. At just over 100 cm and 1.5 kg it’s both shorter and lighter than the Litelok Core Moto

2. It doesn’t coil like a chain (nor does the Litelok Core Moto) and is sort of permanently in the oval shape. It is though fairly easy to pull it open as it were to affix around a wheel or to loop around a security post.

3. Lacks the ‘No key required to lock’ feature of the Litelok Core Moto.

3. Being lighter and shorter than the Litelok Core Moto, it would be fine for everyday use.

4. It too comes with three keys.

Both locks come pretty well classified for ‘security’ with the Litelok Core Moto, achieving the highest level. I don’t put a huge amount of credence to these ratings, believing that a determined thief - if they want it badly enough - will have it away anyway. That and the honest recognition that a bike just chained or secured to itself, is just, well, just secured to itself. My only thought is that, if my bike is secured, it might slow thief down or, hopefully, they’ll (more likely, perhaps) just pinch someone else’s. There is no shame in schadenfreude in my world. Not least, the bike is in a garage, with enough power tools (not locked away) and a lump hammer / cold chisel, ready for a thief to use. There is even a bloody big crowbar, ready for them to bash me with, should I be stupid enough to approach them in my boxer shorts, mid-heist; curtain pole not withstanding.

That does for my 1600, plus its alarm and very good Vodafone tracker. My Royal Enfield, which sits behind my 1600, relies on ‘just’ a Krytonite New York disc lock. Again, it’s pretty well rated. But, more importantly perhaps, they’d have to get the 1600 out of the way to pinch it. I have got a ground anchor I could attach the bike to but it’s now in the wrong place, it being from when I had five bikes in the garage. I should get the anchor moved really but then I’d probably just trip over the bloody thing.

Above all this, I do of course have a pound of butter in the fridge. It seems to work so far…..Touch wood, which is about all you can do, other than trying at least to lock your bike up and regularly tending to the freshness of the butter.

PS Have I declared all this security to my insurer? Have I feck.

Leaving aside reviews, to be truly useful, any security has to be easy to use. If it’s not, bods won’t use it. It’s as simple as that. It’s one things the reviews often overlook.

The ‘keyless’ lock of the Litelok Core Moto, is a case in point. It’s easy to use but a real balls ache if the lack of a key to lock it (but the need for a key to unlock it) means, if you have left the key at home, it will result in much misery. Click….. bugger!

Likewise, there is a disc lock, that (when unlocked) has the key permanently inserted. A great idea, until the key (affixed to a bloody heavy lock, banging around in a pannier) snaps off. Drop it? Same result. Bingo! One useless lock. Bugger, again.

I also bought a Litelok Core Flex.

https://www.litelok.com/collections/bike-locks/products/core-flex

Whilst this is targeted at bicycle owners, I think it will also do the job as a quick and easy lock for a motorcycle. It will certainly be better than doing nothing.

0e5d09ec2576e8f6c532392dd2798e97.jpg

Yau could certainly lock two or three bikes together with it (their front wheels pointing in on each other) or pass it through the wheel and around a suitable post.

As I live in the relative crime free zone of North-East Scotland, I went for the X1, just need to get a chain for it for when I'm away.

Leaving aside reviews, to be truly useful, any security has to be easy to use. If it’s not, bods won’t use it. It’s as simple as that. It’s one things the reviews often overlook.

Agreed.

Also how easy they are to carry around.
most of these are ok if you have panniers or topbox, would be hard work on a sportsbike for instance.

even with luggage, they still take up some room.
still might be easier with a decent chain and padlock along with a disc lock.

Using the X1 which still gives good resistance to angle grinders and the 1.0m version of the Litelok Bike Lock ONE to attach the bike to something solid.

The LITELOK ONE MOTO is exactly the same as the cycle version but without the neoprene cover and usually a fair bit cheaper!

Richard, whilst the ground anchor is in the wrong place don’t underestimate the security of chaining the Himmy to the K1600. It would be a clever thief that can move two bikes that are locked together as long as one of the chains of goes through a wheel or two.

My Litelok X3 has arrived.

It certainly is a lump-and-a-half.

Received mine today. Doesn't seem that well finished in parts but then it will look like that after a few uses anyway. But: Is the locking barrel on your sometimes stiff to take off, and needs a right old tug, but other times okay? Wondering if I have a bit of a duff one.

The disengagement is sometimes a bit stiff.

It’s just a rubberised plastic covering on the U-part. You can cut it back, if you want to add a chain.

I also bought the Litelok X3 - mainly on account of recommendations and the following review:

While I'm happy with it, it did take an age to arrive; I bought (and paid for) it towards the end of February and it only arrived last week. They seem pretty good with their comms on providing updates on where they are with production, dispatch, etc., but it was a frustration that it took over three months from payment to delivery.

As the quality of their stuff seems really good, I'm tempted to get the Core One Flex to replace my existing chain to lock my bike to my gf's when we're out and about.

Sent them some vids, and they've sent a prepaid label for a return to 'adjust' the lock or replace.

Mine was also two months late, but felt they kept me updated - and there was always the option to cancel. Threw it a free cover as way of compo.

Although it doesn't matter, I thought the finish to the rubberised parts of the barrel was a little surprising - scuffs and less than neat finishing. The box it arrived in was very aliexpress as well. Not that any of this matters, though it does set an impression.

As the quality of their stuff seems really good, I'm tempted to get the Core One Flex to replace my existing chain to lock my bike to my gf's when we're out and about.

Isn't that a rename for the Gold?

Yet to see a review that contradicts Bennett Social's findings around the x1 and x3, which also sold me.

I've got the X1, it's well made but it really designed for push bikes I believe. It really needs to be a bit bigger in all directions so as to go round/through both the fork legs and the front wheel. Which it won't do on my GSA or my XJR.

Back
Top Bottom