Bike insurance prices in 2023

Hi

If you are still looking for insurance, give us a call on 01733 907000, mention this forum for £10 off our titanium package!

Dean (bemoto)

Hi Dean

The insurance for the MZ expires this Friday (been with BeMoto a few years) Renewal would be £167.71 with fully comp and Titanium package.

It's going to be Sorn'd and handed to my lad and locked up in his garage. So my father has owned it, then me, then my youngest son, back to me and then to the eldest son. It's a family heirloom :D

My new 'bike is an imported Honda CT125 Hunter Cub which is currently with Seven Seas Motors at Dewsbury (the importers)

It goes for the MSVA the first week in February (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) then we can register it.

Spoke to your man Arron at BeMoto 9th January and then the 10th. Couldn't find the model, will only insure for max value £3,800 (over £1K less than new value) at £367.00 per year :blast

Looks like you've lost me I'm afraid!

Devitt know of the 'bike and are cheaper by a considerable amount.

Do I need to speak to BeMoto about proof of no claims bonus?

Thanks for your help over time
:beerjug:

Lexham £260 fully comp living in London with no garage, now added £83 admin fee on top :barf

P**s taking or what!!

Then you’ll be out finding a quote better than £343 (ungaraged, London post code) a year, I guess?

You should compare notes with the OP, whose renewal quote was £550 for apparently a London address. I guess he’d buy yours, if nothing better came along and maybe he’d be happy?

Thanks all. Spoke to MCE and they said they cannot offer better price. I think this company is not trustworthy as they use a very strange approach. You do not actually speak to MCE but to another broker.

Hasting could not provide me with any quote without giving any reason. Will check the other ones suggested. I'm based in Edgware, ha8. This area never was a problem.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Then you’ll be out finding a quote better than £343 (ungaraged, London post code) a year, I guess?

You should compare notes with the OP, whose renewal quote was £550 for apparently a London address. I guess he’d buy yours, if nothing better came along and maybe he’d be happy?

Not particularly, just miffed at the added £83 for renewing :blagblah

Not particularly, just miffed at the added £83 for renewing :blagblah

Then don’t buy it and find another all up quote for your vehicle at less than £343 a year in London. When you do it, you’ll have won and Lexham will have lost.

If you can’t find one, then you’ll know you have found yourself the best all up deal you can get for 2023.

If though you feel still aggrieved and ripped-off, you can pay more and go with some other broker / insurer. It’ll cost you some money but you’ll have put one up Lexham and you’ll feel good about it for the next 365 days.

Remarkably (or perhaps not, living in west London?) BeMoto require a 2001 1150GS, parked in a locked underground carpark within a gated community, to have a ground anchor (in addition to locks, chains).

So, is this just London?

Is the requirement for a ground anchor a common insurance requirement (22 year-old bike)? The requirement still stands even if I removed 'Theft' from the coverage.

Some insurers will not touch bikes (and even some cars) in non-owned garages, irrespective of gates and the like. BeMoto’s insurer’s stipulation of a ground anchor is perhaps unusual, even so. I guess you’d have to get permission from the freeholder of the garage within the gated community to have the anchor installed? If so, that might take hours, days or even weeks.

Try a different insurer / broker, would be my suggestion.

The stipulation to install the anchor, when the insurer is not providing theft cover, is maybe odd. This of course assumes that BeMoto even have the flexibility to issue a policy on behalf of their insurer without the theft element, without themselves jumping through several hoops.

I guess it’s maybe down to nothing more than the chimp in the call centre reading off a script. It’s probably not worth the chimp’s employer’s time to investigate whether removing the theft element would negate the need for an anchor. Similarly, enquiring as to whether the use of suitable chains and locks would override the need for an anchor, would probably not be worth their while either. It would be time used, when they could be flogging a policy to someone else, MCE being - at least at heart - a pile it high, sell it cheap operation, catering for run of the mill customers, with off the shelf products. You are a commodity to them and nothing more. It’s not personal, it’s just the way it is.

Alternatively, buy the policy, don’t install the anchor and don’t claim if the bike is stolen. Which is basically the same as you not insuring it against theft.

Then don’t buy it and find another all up quote for your vehicle at less than £343 a year in London. When you do it, you’ll have won and Lexham will have lost.

If you can’t find one, then you’ll know you have found yourself the best all up deal you can get for 2023.

If though you feel still aggrieved and ripped-off, you can pay more and go with some other broker / insurer. It’ll cost you some money but you’ll have put one up Lexham and you’ll feel good about it for the next 365 days.

So you don’t think the addition of an £83 admin fee is unreasonable?

Just for a comparison.
I'm over 60, full licence for more than 40 years. with RoSPA Gold, RoSPA DIP.
Insewering a 20 year old BMW R850R, a Moto Guzzi California 3 of similar age and a Suzuki Streetmagic moped.
fully comp. and noting that i use the Bikes for rider training (just ME / not the clients!)
Living in Dublin City.

I'm paying about the equivalent of £382

Now, who was complaining about being hard done by?:augie

Not me - there's no point and at least i am confident in the actual service i will get in the event of a claim.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

Wapping is saying that if YOU think that £83 is unreasonable, then vote with your wallet.

In one.

I guess we have to assume that the fellow didn’t obtain any quotes of less than £343 and / or maybe some higher. If he thinks the sum is unreasonable, he is free to go elsewhere. That’s the joy of competition and choice.

Just for a comparison.
I'm over 60, full licence for more than 40 years. with RoSPA Gold, RoSPA DIP.
Insewering a 20 year old BMW R850R, a Moto Guzzi California 3 of similar age and a Suzuki Streetmagic moped.
fully comp. and noting that i use the Bikes for rider training (just ME / not the clients!)
Living in Dublin City.

I'm paying about the equivalent of £382

Now, who was complaining about being hard done by?:augie

Not me - there's no point and at least i am confident in the actual service i will get in the event of a claim.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

Welcome to the pirate world of Oirish motor insurance and indeed anything else linked to insurance in the Republic.

Welcome to the pirate world of Oirish motor insurance and indeed anything else linked to insurance in the Republic.

"Welcome" you say?
I was offended .. nay - Indignant even, as early as 1977.
Having then to pay £43.50 for a 14 year old Honda C100 (actually a 50c.c. / not a 100c.c) and then handing over £31.30 for Turd party only!!! :eek:
My outrage has been a long standing thing.

Todays quotes for fully comp/ 2017 GSA triple Black/ London/ garaged 7k miles annually/ full no claims/ £800 total excess

Cornmarket = £524
Devitts. = £437
Hastings direct = £271 (incl legal protection & hemet and gear)

I finally went to Bikesure but directly through their website. The Go Compare quote from the same provider was above £500! Bikesure website £304 for third party, fire and theft.

Shopping around. It’s the only way.

Posts #33 and #34 also highlights the fallacy in taking any notice of what someone else pays. Two individuals, both with a supposed ‘London’ or ‘near London’ address. One fully comprehensive at a 10% discount on what the other fellow pays for TPF&T only. About the only thing they have in common, is that they were both insuring a motorbike.

Renewed with Hastings on Wednesday after a bit of hassle and being told they wouldn’t cover me because of the list of modifications on my bike although they’ve had the list for more than 8 years. Just before I started the tedious search for a new insurer I thought I’d message them on Facebook, within a couple of minutes I’d had a reply and was told there wouldn’t be a problem and to ring and pay straight away for a renewal. I changed my policy slightly to include helmet and clothing cover, they put me on a premier policy which includes helmet, clothing & legal, price went from £143.20 last year to £144.11 this year, 57 years old, bike garaged, business use, policy says, if bike is stolen within 500 metres (I think) from home my excess will be doubled.

Attachments

• 0DFFEF9C-B9EE-4B59-86CB-2B64D5DAF449.jpg
    0DFFEF9C-B9EE-4B59-86CB-2B64D5DAF449.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 185
I was pleasantly surprised by my renewal insurance from Bennetts for a 2018 GSA this year;
Bike fully comp £75 and also took opportunity to get helmet and gear ins for a further £45.
I am 64 and an IAM Obs. :rob
Seemed a good deal to me.

I just renewed with Bennetts.

£380 for four bikes. Parked "anywhere on the property". No security needed at all.

9+ years NCD.

I tried to insure them at my workshop. 24/7 security. Locked down at night. Cameras, alarms etc, security patrols on site.. They said it was "Too risky" as it was 15 miles from my home address.

Okay sure. I'll just leave them all on the driveway with no locks on a council estate instead.

The mind boggles

Back
Top Bottom