New year, new project bike

Looks lovely, and I like your attention to detail. Look forward to hearing it fire up with that Gletter exhaust.

Thanks for the positive feedback gents. Todays task was machining some spacers and mounting the mudguard to the subframe. I’m chuffed with how it’s coming together, it’s starting to look ‘purposeful’. I’m also surprised how tall it is. I’m 6’4” and it feels just right 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 98
A busy few weeks at work with not too much progress on the bike, but I have managed to finish the rear subframe/mudguard installation complete with flexi flap protecting the battery. Also finished the back brake and airbox/carbs, although I can’t get the elbows to line up with the airbox for some reason. I think it’s starting to look ok though 😀

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 111
Finally managed to do a little bit more work on the project bike today. I got the carbs fitted up to the head and airbox, which I’d been struggling with because I couldn’t get them lined up exactly. Mikeyboy said I’d got OCD so i reconciled myself to accepting they are good enough. Interestingly pretty much every photo I could find online showed the same alignment issue, so I guess they really are all like that. Here’s the end result

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 71
I also fitted the shiny new clutch and throttle perch’s and the heated grips. Bit of jiggery pokery involved in this because I’m using fatbars and I had to carefully drill the hole for the heated grip cables to pass through and also drill and tap the two mounting holes for the left hand grip. All went well though and no cock ups 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 69
Hi, very nice.
Few questions if I may. Forks? Are they WP/KTM. Which one? 640? How much would you have the slide them to keep the original geometry?
Brake pump: how does it works with Brembo caliper?

Dr LC8, the forks are WP48mm open cartridge off a 2008 690 enduro, with .69kgf springs fitted to deal with the extra weight (me and the bike). The stroke on these forks is only 250mm unlike the EXC fork which is 300mm so it doesn’t sit like a chopper with the front raised too much. The fork caps are flush with the top of the yoke.

I can’t answer the question about geometry because on this bike I‘ve also fitted an 18” rear and a taller tyre so the back is higher than standard. There is also a heavier spring on the rear shock which means it doesn’t sag anything like as much as the standard bike. It is significantly taller than my standard R80GS basic, which is fine for me because I’m 6’5”.

I don’t know about the front brake yet because I haven’t connected the master cylinder to the calliper. That’s the next job on the list. The master is a new BMW 13mm unit and the caliper is a new KTM 690 one. I’ll let you know once it’s plumbed up and got fluid in it……

managed a few little jobs on the bike today, hose guide for front brake and a couple of hours on the lathe making front indicator mounts

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1071.jpeg
    IMG_1071.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 51
Dr LC8, the forks are WP48mm open cartridge off a 2008 690 enduro, with .69kgf springs fitted to deal with the extra weight (me and the bike). The stroke on these forks is only 250mm unlike the EXC fork which is 300mm so it doesn’t sit like a chopper with the front raised too much. The fork caps are flush with the top of the yoke.

I can’t answer the question about geometry because on this bike I‘ve also fitted an 18” rear and a taller tyre so the back is higher than standard. There is also a heavier spring on the rear shock which means it doesn’t sag anything like as much as the standard bike. It is significantly taller than my standard R80GS basic, which is fine for me because I’m 6’5”.

I don’t know about the front brake yet because I haven’t connected the master cylinder to the calliper. That’s the next job on the list. The master is a new BMW 13mm unit and the caliper is a new KTM 690 one. I’ll let you know once it’s plumbed up and got fluid in it……
A busy few weeks at work with not too much progress on the bike, but I have managed to finish the rear subframe/mudguard installation complete with flexi flap protecting the battery. Also finished the back brake and airbox/carbs, although I can’t get the elbows to line up with the airbox for some reason. I think it’s starting to look ok though 😀
Got to say that looks an imaculate bike!

Back
Top Bottom