Nav prep on an F850GS

Bear

Reaction score
I'm about to take delivery of an early F850GS with BMW's sat-nav mount. The cradle has two rows of pins so I assume it's for a Zumo 590/595 or BMW Nav V/VI. The problem is that three of these devices are obsolete and the NAV VI has a dreadful reputation. Has anyone tried changing the device mount (part number 11 as shown on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...9-K81-BMW-F_850_GS_0B09,_0B19_&diagId=65_2988 ) for another model of Zumo? I have a Zumo 350 which takes a different mount and I'd have to swap the wiring to accommodate the 350, which already has a BMW connector so should plug straight in once I've followed the existing wiring to wherever it goes. I really don't want to fool around with RAM mounts for the 350 if I can help it.

I have the Zumo 590 and also have the NAV VI, I prefer the 590 but have had no issues with the NAV VI apart from tracks (that i use) are obscured by the magenta route, minor irk.

As mentioned above NAV V or NAV VI alternatively an XT.

Had the BMW touring screen and high level mount fitted last year on my &50 GS and it made a world of difference, paired that with a used BMW NAV V and had no issues works a treat. Would be easy to fit other navs, the XT seems to be the favourite at the moment to avoid the NAV VI problems.

I'm not concerned with integrating the wonder wheel with a GPS as I'd only be fiddling with it when stopped. The issue with buying a NAV V or Zumo 590 is finding one: a trawl of eBay didn't turn up much and they're somewhat expensive for a private sale from someone who could be anywhere. I'm reasonably sure the 350's mount will fit the BMW mount but What the assembly will look like is anyone's guess. It's not urgent as I can't see me doing many trips in unknown country in the next couple of months.

I'm about to take delivery of an early F850GS with BMW's sat-nav mount. The cradle has two rows of pins so I assume it's for a Zumo 590/595 or BMW Nav V/VI. The problem is that three of these devices are obsolete and the NAV VI has a dreadful reputation. Has anyone tried changing the device mount (part number 11 as shown on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...9-K81-BMW-F_850_GS_0B09,_0B19_&diagId=65_2988 ) for another model of Zumo? I have a Zumo 350 which takes a different mount and I'd have to swap the wiring to accommodate the 350, which already has a BMW connector so should plug straight in once I've followed the existing wiring to wherever it goes. I really don't want to fool around with RAM mounts for the 350 if I can help it.

Buy the Zumo XT and a BMW Nav to XT adapter.

I'm not concerned with integrating the wonder wheel with a GPS as I'd only be fiddling with it when stopped. The issue with buying a NAV V or Zumo 590 is finding one: a trawl of eBay didn't turn up much and they're somewhat expensive for a private sale from someone who could be anywhere. I'm reasonably sure the 350's mount will fit the BMW mount but What the assembly will look like is anyone's guess. It's not urgent as I can't see me doing many trips in unknown country in the next couple of months.

If you haven’t used it you’ll be surprised how useful the wheel is. When I’m on a bike that only has the four button cradle I really miss it.

Nav 5 and 6 come up for sale regularly on here - and don’t believe everything you hear about the Nav6. Mine has been faultless for 20,000 miles.

I agree, the wonder wheel does work well in conjunction with a suitable Navigator device. Its ability to zoom in and out on the move is very useful.

The four-button cradle is good for the basics and was very good when it was first released. I am currently using an XT, mounted on my 1600, where of course the wonder wheel won’t work. It reminds me each time how good the wheel is and how good the four-button mount was too.

I had the same problem as I have a Garmin Zumo XT so fitted a 3D AM E-navXT Horizontal Garmin XT Mount, BMW R1200/1250GS, GSA, RS, 750/850GS, S1000XR (Code:E-navXT Horizontal) from adventure bike shop. Very easy to fit to existing BMW mount. It also locks in place.
Check YouTube for info.

The bike is due tomorrow and if the snow goes I'll be out on it. If the weather makes riding difficult I'll follow the wiring back to wherever it connect to (somewhere under the right-hand indicator apparently) and disconnect and remove the cradle so I can look at it in the house rather than an unheated shed. The more I look at Zumos (including the XT) the more convinced I become that they all have the same 4-hole mount. The 590/NAV V mount differs from the rest in how the power lead connects so (assuming I'm right about the 4 holes) the most I'd have to do is space another mount by a few millimetres to make room for a cable. I'll find out this weekend whether or not it's viable.

There's still snow here so the motorcycle is safely in the shed. Having held the Zumo 350's cradle against the NAV V's it transpires that they have the four mounting holes on different centres and the 350 cradle is slightly longer so fitting it looks like a non-starter.:barf I'm in no great hurry as I won't be going exploring any time soon so I've some time to look for ideas. I do like the thought of the emergency services bracket as described by Wapping as it would mean the sat-nav isn't hidden if I use a tank bag.

Back
Top Bottom